#256 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

Impressive manifold, I have been looking for one myself for a while but no joy yet. Annoying thing is I have the right carbs already!!

Yes, the proper HIF4s would mean less work :thumbsup: But since I got a free-ish RH HS4 body andalloy is cheap, plus my time worthless (:thumbsup:) I had a go with the HSs. Do you have the linkage too? :( I'm still looking where I could get something similar but all I can find are Weber linkages (those that look like a mouse trap from Star Wars :P http://www.waldeneng...es/image008.jpg )

Todays work:

Posted Image
Posted Image

How I wish I had a large machine shop :( Goodthing is: saves me doing sport :D
(I guess it's obvious how much filing & sawing it needed)

Cheers,
Jan

Edited by Asphalt, 25 November 2009 - 04:25 PM.

#257 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

No I don't have the linkages. I have twin HIF4s on a 'normal' Maniflow manifold with 'normal' twin SU linkages made to fit - but my carbs are a better distance apart to amke that work.

I can't see the linkages shown in some of your photos being that hard to fabricate though, they are only essentially only a rod running through two spherical joints.

#258 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:59 PM

I can't see the linkages shown in some of your photos being that hard to fabricate though, they are only essentially only a rod running through two spherical joints.

Not realy... But hey, if there's somthing similar I could buy - why not? :( I think I found a supplier of the parts I need ;)

Because now the fun part starts... :D That's a tight fit:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Me like it :(

Things left to do:
- make the linkages
- modifie the float bowl angle pieces
- shorten at least one throttle shaft
- manufactue a good airbox w. build in stub stacks
- find an exactely matching left hand carb
(there are sooo many different HS4s, unbelievable)
- refurb carbs
- fuel lines
- find suitable needles
- tune it
- use it & have fun

Cheers,
Jan

Edited by Asphalt, 26 November 2009 - 03:00 PM.

#259 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:34 AM

awesome great work

#260 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

This is a better picture for you of the original linkages on HIF4s:

Posted Image

#261 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hi Greame! Many thanks - that's a good starting point for a replication >_<

If you'r intersted, I scanned an 80's JanSpeed cataloque:
http://www.speedshar...p?id=C9DAB8A711

Cheers,
Jan

#262 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

Very interesting catalogue - many thanks!

#263 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:38 PM

Soooo. Done a little bit more. And since I had no matching pair of carbs, Idecided to buy another one.
The old HS carbs had a free-standing idle adjustment screw and the area under the dashpot is not recessed:

Posted Image
Posted Image

It probably makes no technical difference - but for optics... Well - I wasn't happy with it :)

I actually had another matching LH carb - but the bridge area around the jet was badly damaged.
I tried to fix it with some JB Weld - but didn't trust that fix in the end (you can see it in the 2nd picture).
And the cast was'nt very good at all. It is very surprising how different the casts are, quality wise!
And not at least how many different HS4 carbs they made... I have about 8 now and only 2 are identical.

The next problem is the choke mechanism. There's only room for 1 1/2 choke levers.

Posted Image
Posted Image

So I'm going to have someone weld two choke levers together for me. The full one LH,
and 1/2 of another LH on top, supported with a shortened bush & screw on the RH carb.

Posted Image

The piece where the screw head rest's on in that picture will be cut to make room for two screw heads.
The linkages runing down to the jet will get a bar that links them. Keeping them well maintained and oiled,
the single return spring will probably be strong enough for both jets (the light pre-waxtat ones)

Will be super-fiddly to install but hell - I'm not planing on removing & re-fitting every day. :P

The throttle linkage hasn't received much thought yet, as I'm waiting for my order of different linkages to arrive.
But one thing is for sure: I'm going to try and fit a progressive throttle lever from a HIF carb.
And I'm going to experiment and reverse the direction of throttle opening.

It'll be interesting to see what difference it makes - if any.

Left: reverse opening. right: normal opening.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7843/hs4klappen.jpg[/img9

And the rest of the time I spend to remove the dirt of several decades from the carbs....
With loads of soap water, lots of different brushes and brake cleaner.

[img]http://img51.imagesh...3760/choke5.jpg

Aaaand I'm actually planing on removing the 1275, now that the new carb's are nearly done :)

I bought (still to collect) a 998... This will be a test mule for several thing I want to try, for which the 1275 would be a pitty if it goes wrong.

And since I have a few 1275 parts flogging around, it will be a little hotter than your avarage 998. And funking cheap.

- 1275 std. head (SPI)
- SPVP3 cam (268°/272°)
- 3,65 or 3,76 diff ratio :)
- heavily modified HS4 carb & intake OR finaly that damn Fish carb :)

I can't stand to trash the 1275 in this cold wheather and short distance traveling as I do it. I need something I can 'beat' and not care about ;)

So long (and thanks for all the Fish),
Jan

#264 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts
  • Local Club: EDMC AND MMC

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:41 PM

nice work there mate,
what kinda plans you got for the test 998?

#265 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

nice work there mate,
what kinda plans you got for the test 998?

Thanks! :D

You'll see :) I'm not sure yet what I actually do (too many ideas, some are expensive/need machining). I'll post it here.

Edited by Asphalt, 13 December 2009 - 08:46 PM.

#266 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

Sooo, today started work on the 998s gearbox. Well - gearboxeS. The first I wanted to use was a early A+ gearbox (DAM2886).

Posted Image
Posted Image

On closer inspection it was quite obvious, that someone tried hard to smash the 'box to pieces. Virtually all dog teeth gone and some gears had broken or damaged teeth. Synchros are pretty much scrap... Also it had a broken main bearing (brown plastic cage, one of those bad ones) & idler gear.

Posted Image

So I decided to not use it. The casing is still perfect so I'll keep that as a spare.

Instead of I'll use a late A+ gearbox (DAM5626) that was intended to got with the current engine, 'till I decided to rebuild the gearbox currently runing in the car. God knows why - but it was a very good decicion! What I didn't notice before: the input gear's lock tab was broken (looks reused), the gear got pushed inside and the pilot bearing & input gear were loose as the nut come undone >_< The bearing got pushed out so much that the cirlip holding it was bent...

Posted Image

The synchros are all gone beyond any use... So I will take it apart too and give it some attention and swap some parts for better used parts, if neccesary. But apart from the input gear mishap it looks solid and in good condition. I hope the synchros & doog teeth are not worn - if they are, I need to find another gearset... :/

This is how it looked before(! :P) cleaning:

Posted Image

Looks like it got rebuild not long ago... But if so - why are the baulk rings so bad? Probably a bodge job... I'll see tomorrow...

And as soon as my throttle spindles arrive, I'll go collect the 998 & carb rebuild parts and some minor other spares... All on one route ;)

Cheers,
Jan

#267 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

hey,
Some more good working going on! that box looks like it has taken a real pounding!
how have you removed the bearings from the transfer case?

#268 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

hey,
Some more good working going on! that box looks like it has taken a real pounding!
how have you removed the bearings from the transfer case?

The idler bearing I pulled out with a puller. To get the pilot bearing's outer race out, I heated the case with a blow torch from both sides. Cooled the race down with water & a brush and knocked it (the case) on some soft wood. Fell out almost instantly :thumbsup:

#269 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:03 AM

hmm nice, you must have a bearing puller...need to get me one of those

#270 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:50 AM

hmm nice, you must have a bearing puller...need to get me one of those

I have one, yes. But for that job I borrowed one form my local Mini place that was a bit modified for the job.
http://www.theminifo...x...t&p=1154197

It's, amongst mole grips, brake cleaner and an impact wrench, one of the most usefull tools :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Jan

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users