Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

Impulse buy:

Posted Image

...and made up my mind. Decided the Momos are too damn rare to waste them on a daily driver...
I'd HATE it to smash/curb them. Maybe I put them on occasionaly. But not for daily use...

6" Cosmics are tasty too :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Jan

#228 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts
  • Local Club: EDMC AND MMC

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:44 PM

very nice buy there

#229 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

Some of you may have heared that Payen head gaskets have some serious quality issues at the moment and MiniSpares stopped selling them.

Well - I've done about 1000 miles now. Been on a Mini meet this weekend. When I drove off on sunday, I had a strabge feeling, the engine felt a bit 'weird' and flabby. I didn't think much about it - it did a good (real) 105mph flat out - very nice.

Then yesteray went shopping, drove home - no power, lawn mower sound... *censored* - n° 2 & 3 cyl down on compression -> head gasket failure. Looks like I wasn't lucky and got a bad gasket as so many did.

Tomorrow - if wheather allows - I'm putting my NOS TAM1521 asbestos gasket in :) Twin HIF4 carb's (hopefully!) are on the way to me too.

Cheers,
Jan

#230 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:15 PM

Did you manage to sort a manifold out for them?

#231 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:24 PM

Did you manage to sort a manifold out for them?

Not yet... But soon to come. Will be a little different :)

#232 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

I'll wait to see it then :)

#233 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

Some of you may have heared that Payen head gaskets have some serious quality issues at the moment and MiniSpares stopped selling them.

Well - I've done about 1000 miles now. Been on a Mini meet this weekend. When I drove off on sunday, I had a strabge feeling, the engine felt a bit 'weird' and flabby. I didn't think much about it - it did a good (real) 105mph flat out - very nice.

Then yesteray went shopping, drove home - no power, lawn mower sound... *censored* - n° 2 & 3 cyl down on compression -> head gasket failure. Looks like I wasn't lucky and got a bad gasket as so many did.

Tomorrow - if wheather allows - I'm putting my NOS TAM1521 asbestos gasket in :) Twin HIF4 carb's (hopefully!) are on the way to me too.

Cheers,
Jan

Didn't know they did a left hand HIF44. Or are you using some kind of funky linkage?

#234 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

Didn't know they did a left hand HIF44. Or are you using some kind of funky linkage?

Not HIf44, HIF4, that's the predecessor of the HIF38.

It's a 1.5" HIF type carb with HS4 bell & flange.
http://jlse.com/MGB/DSC01353w.jpg

They were - for exapmle - used on MG Bs in the mid 70's :)

Edited by Asphalt, 15 September 2009 - 07:40 PM.

#235 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

Ah okay. My bad :) , sorry. They look good. You're gettting quite a collection of different carbs now Jan. All you need now is some sort of webber to finish off the collection :).

#236 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

Finaly I wasn't too lazy to change the head gasket.

Did some new tricks: just removed the top hose from the water pump to drain enough cooland to have a 'dry' head & deck. Much easyer & faster. Cleaned 6 degreased head & block - 'new' gasket from 1985 on (the good old stuff) and back together. Fired up on first turn of the key - nice. But couldn't be arsed to adjust rockers - that's for tomorrow.

Posted Image

And the @$%#°ing Payen gasket... Surprisingly on the packaing it said BK450 - I found out it was actually a AF470. Funny, eh? :lol:

Posted Image

And it's not 'made in england' - so I think I got one of the faulty gaskets. No need to search for the causes then... But I'm retarding the ignition by 1-2° nevertheless to be on the safe side as we set it quite advanced.

Cheers,
Jan

#237 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:41 PM

SOunds like you made good progress.

Now I know you did alot with the fish carb. Only too find problems with German law regardment it's fitment.

How will you fare with fitting the twin SUs?

#238 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:36 AM

I'm hoping they'r OK, as some cars (Cooper, Cooper S, 1275GT and Innocenti 1300) were originaly sold with twin carbs. So this should make it lots easyer to get them approved :D

A Fish carb has never been fitted from factory (and I doubt any engineer will know it - even the local guys in a classic garage fettling for over 30 years with british cars didn't know it :) ) - so there's nothing a TÜV engineer could rely on. Emissions wise. There are no records etc. But he can with twin SUs as they once were fitted to 1275cc engines from factory, hence there's data. Ok, factory twin carbs all were 1.25" carbs - still it should be lots easyer to get them legal (and some people allredy did) :)

Cheers,
Jan

#239 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:11 PM

Oh ok then, sounds good too me. Good luck with!

I want to see those Momo's on!

#240 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

Ah okay. My bad :( , sorry. They look good. You're gettting quite a collection of different carbs now Jan. All you need now is some sort of webber to finish off the collection :(.

Yeah - probebly got somethig like a carb-fetish :(

Weber is actually on the 'get and try' list.

And to not have to change manifolds for all sorts of carbs, I bought this rare-ish beast:

Posted Image

Looks like a Weber manifold - but it actually is more.

Posted Image

Flange can easily be drilled to take SU carbs. But they need to be HIF4 (or HIF38), as the flange pattern is 'reversed' to the std. twin HS4 setup, so the float chambers would hit each other. And as you can see in the above picture, there's a conection tube between the two ports to allow fitting of the SUs (got something to do with piston rising & impulses when using twin SUs on separate ports).

Posted Image

It's a JanSpeed manifold - and looks like it has superb flow capabilitys, eventhough it's only 4" long! It was actually meant for Metros (to allow the Metro guys runing twin SU carbs - at least with LHD Metros the brake master cylinder get's in the way with std. twin carb manifolds). But works also on Minis of course. If I remeber right, Vizards gibves it an excellent rating. And even if there'r better flowing manifolds - if looks so tasty boobylicious - I coulnd't resist :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Unfortunately the carbs I bought of eBay UK didn't arive (bougth on september 10th!!) - nor does the seller respond my mails which makes me slightly mad :) :angry: :xxx: And they were not cheap (ok, neither very expensive - but 70 quid are 70 quid and 70 quid are much if you'r on a tight budget)... We'll see... Doesn't make sense without improved head anyways. If they don't turn up next week I'm trying to claim my money back and buy some other carbs. And look out for the tools for some porting work.

But this will take a little time and not happen before next year I guess.

Cheers,
Jan

Edited by Asphalt, 03 October 2009 - 05:47 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users