272 replies to this topic

#166 PROF PEACH

PROF PEACH

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:44 PM

Cradley Heathen I have been watching your project with great interest, I think you have put a lot more thought into this than many readers give you credit for, I think you will have a good result but take your time and continue to keep your cards close to your chest. Remember whether its ambitions, projects or engine power the Professor Peach likes them BIG !!!

#167 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

Cradley Heathen I have been watching your project with great interest, I think you have put a lot more thought into this than many readers give you credit for, I think you will have a good result but take your time and continue to keep your cards close to your chest. Remember whether its ambitions, projects or engine power the Professor Peach likes them BIG !!!

well thanks for that! i have thought it all through as best i can but some things can only be overcome as i go along, im sure that the pistons will need cut outs for the exhaust valves, and making all the timing gear atc i can also only make up as i go along, im still looking out for loads of bits to build it from, and thats whats holing the project up im affraid. its getting there though.

#168 slegersmini

slegersmini

Speeding Along Now

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

oooh now this is one interesting thread! i want to do something like this with mine but where it is a daily driver i dont have much chance...
i do now have a spare engine so i spose i could do something with that...
The spare racing YZF yamaha R1 engine looks rather pretty in the garage atm... haha

I think this will be something different, once one person does an engine conversion a lot of people follow at least this is something new!

Its not a suzuki carry or one of the late jimny's? something along those lines is it?

12 VALVE, 4CYLINDER??

Hehe couldnt help but put in a guess...

Edited by slegersmini, 05 September 2008 - 12:47 PM.

#169 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

oooh now this is one interesting thread! i want to do something like this with mine but where it is a daily driver i dont have much chance...
i do now have a spare engine so i spose i could do something with that...
The spare racing YZF yamaha R1 engine looks rather pretty in the garage atm... haha

I think this will be something different, once one person does an engine conversion a lot of people follow at least this is something new!

Its not a suzuki carry or one of the late jimny's? something along those lines is it?

12 VALVE, 4CYLINDER??

Hehe couldnt help but put in a guess...

its not a suzuki mate, but i have wondered what the head from a suzukia waggonR looks like when removed etc? it was one i was going to look into before this one. my mini is my daily driver so at some point it will have to come off the road to have the engine swapped to the new one. i have considered making a test bed so i can run the engine before putting it in the car, or at least make sure it turns over, fires etc etc.

#170 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

Just mount it on some bricks on the garage floor and let the exhaust hold it up lol. Jetblick did it on his project lol.

#171 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:04 PM

Just mount it on some bricks on the garage floor and let the exhaust hold it up lol. Jetblick did it on his project lol.

yeah i saw someone else do that on youtube, i think it would scare me to death trying it, i would just lash somthing together out of some steel box section or whatever is laying about at the time

#172 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:16 PM

well progress has been a little slow this week to say the least, but i have been thinking about what pistons im going to use as the block is going to need a re-bore anyway, i had thought about the minispares +0.06 pistons, but these are around £160 ish, and they are going to need some machining doing to them on top of that for valve cut outs, and also i believe they are only available as flat tops, and im certainly going to need dished topped ones to get the compression ratio anything like right.

so...

i have been looking at the pistons in the bloack that the head came from, and they are aprox 66mm o/d (dont have a digital vernier at the unit) and they are dished tops, they do also have the valve cutouts already in, albeit in slightly the wrong place by the time i have put them in the a series block, but im seriously thinking of using them. assuming i can adapt somthing with regard to the gudgeon pins. the only down side is getting rings for them as i cant find them listed in any parts books still.

here one can be seen in its natural home.....

Attached Files

#173 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:58 PM

What does dry deck mean? I've heard these words around (mostly with 16v conversions) and don't know what everyone is on about lol

the term "dry deck" refers to plugging the water/oil galeries at the point where the fluid would pass from the top of the block, through the head gasket, and into the head. by plugging all these and running feeds externally on the engine it prevents the head gasket failing in regard to oil and water mixing, or making there way into the combustion chambers. in my case it also alows for the fact that the holes do not line up so its impossible to run the liquids in the conventional way. however the oil drain going from the head back down to the block does actually line up so this is the only holes i wont plug. as at this point the oil is not pressurised its obviously extremely unlikley that the head gasket will fail there.

i hope that makes sense? if i can find a picture of it i will add one

:thumbsup: they really ought to term it the dry headgasket rather than the dry deck - my twink conversion utilises dry deck, and all you need to know is use a good quality dry deck kit, and be very clear on all the other considerations that need to be made before you utilise one.

#174 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

:thumbsup: they really ought to term it the dry headgasket rather than the dry deck - my twink conversion utilises dry deck, and all you need to know is use a good quality dry deck kit, and be very clear on all the other considerations that need to be made before you utilise one.

kit? there isnt a kit for mine so im making the bits myself, and the head is going to be plugged with little alloy dowels which will be tig welded in.

#175 Surfbluegarage

Surfbluegarage

AKA mini_mad_daps

• Traders
  • 1,547 posts
  • Local Club: Notts About Minis

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

just read the whole thread and i take my hat off to ya mate i really do ( and i wear a hat for 15+ hours a day hahahah)
if some impatients knobs want to try and spoil your fun apple um you keep it a secret mate i know i would. ive not put a picture of my front end up on here for the same reason your not showing anyone yet! good on ya mate the world needs more intuative people like you mate!

#176 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:10 AM

well progress has been a little slow this week to say the least, but i have been thinking about what pistons im going to use as the block is going to need a re-bore anyway, i had thought about the minispares +0.06 pistons, but these are around £160 ish, and they are going to need some machining doing to them on top of that for valve cut outs, and also i believe they are only available as flat tops, and im certainly going to need dished topped ones to get the compression ratio anything like right.

so...

i have been looking at the pistons in the bloack that the head came from, and they are aprox 66mm o/d (dont have a digital vernier at the unit) and they are dished tops, they do also have the valve cutouts already in, albeit in slightly the wrong place by the time i have put them in the a series block, but im seriously thinking of using them. assuming i can adapt somthing with regard to the gudgeon pins. the only down side is getting rings for them as i cant find them listed in any parts books still.

here one can be seen in its natural home.....

I think you will find that having bushings made for the little ends so those pins fit will be more expensive than new pistons. also you may be surpised about the CR. Have you checked the chambewr size on the head? do that first and then you can work out the CR. I did it with my conversion and am at 9.4:1 but i have had to have the pistons moved down the bore due to reliefs in the cylinder wall so had offset bushuings made up for the rods.

#177 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:54 PM

I think you will find that having bushings made for the little ends so those pins fit will be more expensive than new pistons. also you may be surpised about the CR. Have you checked the chambewr size on the head? do that first and then you can work out the CR. I did it with my conversion and am at 9.4:1 but i have had to have the pistons moved down the bore due to reliefs in the cylinder wall so had offset bushuings made up for the rods.

i appreciate what your saying about the machining costs, but fortunatley i was an engineer for several years and im still good friends with the old machineshop so i get most things done for nothing, assuming i can either get on the machines when they arnt busy, or get one of the lads to fit a job in for me between thier proper work. i was concerned about how deep my valve pockets were going to be in relation to where the piston rings rise to at TDC and i have quite a way to go before the rings would reach the machined area my pockets come down to.

i will be measuring the chamber size in the head after i have made the alterations to them that are essenmtial for the head to seal on the head gasket. the chambers are very shallow at present and not as wide as the bores in ther block so i will certainly be machining metal back where possible in the head to get the CR correct.

#178 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

just read the whole thread and i take my hat off to ya mate i really do ( and i wear a hat for 15+ hours a day hahahah)
if some impatients knobs want to try and spoil your fun apple um you keep it a secret mate i know i would. ive not put a picture of my front end up on here for the same reason your not showing anyone yet! good on ya mate the world needs more intuative people like you mate!

thanks for the support mate, feel free to make a donation to my cause! as long as i keep going at it, it will get there.....

#179 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:01 PM

still no massive development this week but im getting there, i have had a slight change of plan in that im not going to sue twin 1 1/4 su carbs as i had previously thought for a few reasons..

1, twin su carbs fetch good money these days (quite annoying as i sold a set not long ago)
2, i have a set of bike carbs left over from a side car racer i was building a few years ago
3, i feel this will make best use of the 8 ports in the head, rather than pairing the bores up on shared carbs.

so i dug the carbs out my mates garage as he had borrowed them, and they do need cleaning up and inspecting internally but im sure they have sustained no damage. they are 30mm mikunis which very fortunatly line up almost perfectly with the inlets in my cylinder head, which is most pleasing for airflow, and will make fabricating the inlet manifold as easy as possible.

below are a couple of poor quality pics of the carbs

Attached Files

#180 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

It just gets better lol! ;D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users