#152 Mephiston

Mephiston

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Local Club: London and Surrey

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

this is sounding really interesting and im itching to know what car its from - i dont know why i want to know, i just do - but im not expecting you to tell me - just when you get it running - post a picture of the car next to the mini just to satisfy us all

also - if it can be done and i have no idea if it can (my machining knowledge is none existant) but if your going for the semi stock look and your planning on making a custom rocker cover - try and make it look a bit like an a-series ally fined one - i think there off mg's but i cant remember theres quite a few of the around (ive got one) and it should give that double check effect at any shows where people walk past the open engine bay

anyway good luck and keep posting the progress :P !!

#153 charlie boy

charlie boy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:32 PM

or old 999cc toyota srarlet engine circ 83??

#154 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

Hey ho, this looks wicked mate - i love to seeing people making things fit that shouldnt fit... if you get my drift :P lol

#155 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

i think its rather bizzare how peolpe are more interested in what the head is off than what is going into the project, what if i said it was from a UFO? how would it help anyone understand any better what im doing? i doubt anyone has ever worked on one of these cars let alone seen the cylinder head off the car to compare for themselves. im not being funny about it, its just its such a *rubbish* little cheapo car no one bothers with them. please try to respect why im doing this?

You sir, have an attitude. The idea of forums are to help people, and to give insightful opinions and advice as well as pointing out things that you may have overlooked.

well i have never had that said about me before! i believe i am being informative on the project as it progresses, im adding pictures of anything i have done, answering any questions peolpe ask and taking on anything people have to say, however the thing spoiling this for me is when peolple try to bully me into letting on what it is from, and this is going to get no one anywhere. i have had my ideas copies before, not on here i admit but copied all the same. this time i dont want someone else to stand on my shoulders to get to the finish line before me and claim the glory.

as i have said before i cannot see what difference it makes what the head is from? without you having the same head and the same block with the same modifications at your end its unlikely anyone can spot any problems i havnt considered myself if you see what im saying?

i do not wish to make a big debate on this, if my attitude really does offend you then i can only offer my apologies as this is not my intention, please respect my opinions and feelings on this matter as i have yours.

#156 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:45 PM

Hey ho, this looks wicked mate - i love to seeing people making things fit that shouldnt fit... if you get my drift :P lol

im glad you like the idea mate, you should read practical performance car magazine, it really is excellent and very informative, they too love making things fit that really shouldnt and engineering a solution to things, check it out if you dont already!

Attached Files

• Attached File  ppc.jpg   63.76K   4 downloads

#157 BoboGib

BoboGib

RoboGimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

Toyota?
Nissan?
Honda?
Suzuki?
Mazda?
Daihatsu?
Mitsubishi?
Fuji-Subaru?
Isuzu?

its gotta be one of them??

Good look with it mate, hope it turn out to be worth all the effort.

#158 smurf

smurf

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: Redditch MOC

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

I am sure Cradley-Heathen will reveal all just as soon as he gets to the end of his project. Weather this is with a complete running engine or with some insurmountable problem, the truth will out! Why not let him play some of his cards close to his chest? If this were a professional company attempting to do the same thing then no-one would know about it (for obvious reasons) and this entertaining thread would not exist. Cradley has been willing to show us all what he is doing, and if his head conversion works anyone interested will be able to look on here and see how it was done.

So - let him keep the origin of this conversion to himself for the time being.

As I have said, the manufacturer will be revealed in good time.

I have enjoyed this thread and I am looking forward to seeing what happens.

Keep up the good work Cradley -Heathen.

#159 tiiimmy

tiiimmy

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:22 PM

Im new on her so ill keep it short and sweet! Attitude, no attitude?! Balls most certainly. Ive built more mini a-series engines than i can remember and i sir, take my hat off to you. Best of luck. Had a pal once who cast his own Hillman Imp engine to get 1400cc and they thought he was crazy......till he fired it up......

Tim

#160 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:44 PM

Im new on her so ill keep it short and sweet! Attitude, no attitude?! Balls most certainly. Ive built more mini a-series engines than i can remember and i sir, take my hat off to you. Best of luck. Had a pal once who cast his own Hillman Imp engine to get 1400cc and they thought he was crazy......till he fired it up......

Tim

well thank you mate, as smurf said i may end up at a dead end point, with a half built scrap engine, but assuming all goes to plan, it will, eventually fire up, cash flow permitting. its the money aspect thats holding the project up more than anything else, that and im waiting for my mate to get back from thailand to do some alloy tig welding for me.

next step invloves alterations to the combustion chambers so the head gasket will seal properly, and to plug up any unwanted holes in the head and block face as i am going to dry deck the engine.

#161 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:03 PM

What does dry deck mean? I've heard these words around (mostly with 16v conversions) and don't know what everyone is on about lol

#162 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:12 PM

What does dry deck mean? I've heard these words around (mostly with 16v conversions) and don't know what everyone is on about lol

Not 100% sure but I think it refers to the fact you block all oil and water ways and externally plumb them back to the head from the block. If I am incorrect then please explain.

#163 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

the term "dry deck" refers to plugging the water/oil galeries at the point where the fluid would pass from the top of the block, through the head gasket, and into the head. by plugging all these and running feeds externally on the engine it prevents the head gasket failing in regard to oil and water mixing, or making there way into the combustion chambers. in my case it also alows for the fact that the holes do not line up so its impossible to run the liquids in the conventional way. however the oil drain going from the head back down to the block does actually line up so this is the only holes i wont plug. as at this point the oil is not pressurised its obviously extremely unlikley that the head gasket will fail there.

i hope that makes sense? if i can find a picture of it i will add one

#164 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

pics here: http://www.theminifo...x...7319&st=140 of my block dry decked and plugged up and i think there is one there of the the head as well

#165 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

Cheers for the explanation guys :thumbsup:

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users