272 replies to this topic

#136 holt

holt

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:45 PM

It dont have fire rings, and i have been assured from tractorpulling guys that it isent necessary. if it stands up to at a diesel engine with 13 bar (188 psi) boost, i think it will be okay on a mini ;)

Edited by holt, 27 August 2008 - 07:29 PM.

#137 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

;)

#138 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

i couldnt resist doing a little head work on it late last night so i have opened up the exhaust ports from 25mm to 29.5mm to match the gasket and manifold plate im making up, as soon as i get the carbs i can do the same for the inlet ports, really quite enjoyed doing this actually, so much easier on alloys than on a cast iron head! (excuse the poor picture quality again, my phone is not so good really close up) there is also a pic comparing the original port to the opened up one.

Attached Files

#139 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

Is that head gunna fit under the bonnet bud?

#140 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

Is that head gunna fit under the bonnet bud?

i know what your saying mate, in that pic it looks really tall, i think its the lens on my camera that has made it look that way, i actually think with the rocker cover on it will be shorter than the a series one, im making my own rocker cover, for several reasons really, but it can fit quite tightly over the rockers. i will take some measurements for you so you can compare for yourself.

i have to admit it would be nice if it all fit under the bonnet as im sure a certain level of discretion would be nice, but i also quite fancy having the carbs poke out through the front of the bonnet, this is somthing that may well happen as i havnt took measurements too acuratley in that manner. it does depend on what angle the inlet manifold goes at though, if i make the inlet at 90 degrees to the cylinder head front then it should all fit under but if i rake the inlet up slightly ( to match the slight angle in the inlet ports of ther head) it may well push the carbs and more importantly the air filters out the leading edge of the bonnet. as long as the engine looks good, i dont mind too much if the bonnet has to have a little tell tale lump.

#141 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:33 PM

I was worried about the height but it didn't recollect that the rockers and near flush with the top face of the head unlike an A series head lol.

Shuld look kool whatever ya have to do mate, as long as it's not too over the top (like the old chevy's with the carbs out of the bonnet lol) it should look good.

#142 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:48 PM

I was worried about the height but it didn't recollect that the rockers and near flush with the top face of the head unlike an A series head lol.

Shuld look kool whatever ya have to do mate, as long as it's not too over the top (like the old chevy's with the carbs out of the bonnet lol) it should look good.

i want it to look like a period part, i remember seeing a prototype OHC head on an a series engine at gaydon a years ago when i was only about 17, and it fascinated me, i believe issigonis had one in his everday driver (the 9x prototype also at gaydon) and if it was somthing that interested him, i cant see why it shouldnt interest me! the engine wil be all painted in bmc green, and the rocker cover is going to be black crackle etc. i dont want it to look like a new part if you see what i mean?

below is the engine i mean in a 9x

Attached Files

• Attached File  9x.jpg   125.72K   86 downloads

#143 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:13 PM

Kool, the semi-standard look lol.

#144 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:41 PM

Kool, the semi-standard look lol.

indeed, i have got a semi just thinking about it lol

#145 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:43 PM

Lol haha now now, this is a family forum :) haha

#146 ivanhoew

ivanhoew

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

i think its great , good for you , hope it works out and all fits .

#147 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:20 PM

It dont have fire rings, and i have been assured from tractorpulling guys that it isent necessary. if it stands up to at a diesel engine with 13 bar (188 psi) boost, i think it will be okay on a mini :D

I ran my turbo on a solid 4mm copper head gasket and 22psi boost, had no probs at all with it, all i did was use a very very slight smear of silicone around the water gallery and oil gallery holes just to ensure a perfect seal.

#148 smurf

smurf

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: Redditch MOC

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:49 PM

Alright Geezer? Good to see you are sticking with it!

By the way - the Screaming Thou engie is all but finished. Just waiting for the dizzy to come back from re-curving at H&H and we should be ready to bung it in the motor. GOOD TIMES!!!!!

#149 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

i think its rather bizzare how peolpe are more interested in what the head is off than what is going into the project,

but isn't it a bit ironic your project thread is titled..

"Japanese Cylinder Head Transplant"

:P

Good luck with it though, looks like a very interesting project, would love to see/hear it running.

#150 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

i think its rather bizzare how peolpe are more interested in what the head is off than what is going into the project, what if i said it was from a UFO? how would it help anyone understand any better what im doing? i doubt anyone has ever worked on one of these cars let alone seen the cylinder head off the car to compare for themselves. im not being funny about it, its just its such a *rubbish* little cheapo car no one bothers with them. please try to respect why im doing this?

You sir, have an attitude. The idea of forums are to help people, and to give insightful opinions and advice as well as pointing out things that you may have overlooked.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users