17 replies to this topic

#1 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:18 PM

Ive learnt that I need to check my radiator regularly now, as it always needs toping up, it usually needs about a litre once a week, maybe more as Ive not been driving it lately because of my no indicator problem. Ive noticed that there is always I big damp patch underneath the car. (Its in a basement so its not rain) Is my radiator leaking, if it is, is it serious or can it wait. Or does it need to be fixed and could I do that or does a garage need to??
Ive tried looking at my Haynes book, but it makes me more confused!!!

#2 metalminis

metalminis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 08:18 AM

I should imagine its either the rad leaking or one of the pipes to it. I already asked how to fit a rad in a other topic. Take a look here, sounds straight foward enough
how to fit a rad

#3 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 12:32 PM

Thinking I will check for leaks before changing my radiator, as long as it is't serious that it leaks, its just a pain having to top it up all the time. :sad:

#4 metalminis

metalminis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 09:20 PM

After fitting my new rad I discovered a leak too, seems to be on the side of the block somewhere, bit of a pain

#5 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 08:44 AM

mine hasnt leeked yet!

#6 bumblebee

bumblebee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 06:10 PM

hi,

on the older 'a' series engine, theres a little bypass hose between the water pump and the cylinder head, this is a common area for leaking. or the pump itself (through she shaft to the fan belt pulley) . Mine sometimes sprays water out of the expansion hose (near the filler cap) when i switch the engine off.

corners of the radiator can go too, just have a good look with the engine running and see if you can see where its coming from.

Rich

#7 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 05:16 PM

Gonna have to replace the radiator, Rich has had a look at it and the core has become corroded!!! :sad:

#8 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 11:13 PM

how bad is rad i managed to repair mine,, all you need to do is clean it up and using a good soldering iron solder over the hole, you can cut off 5 - 10 percent of your rad before you need to replace it.

#9 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 11:01 AM

I'l think i'l just get another one because I can get one for £10, it might be less hassel, but thanks for the info!!! :wink:

Jules x

#10 JL Docherty

JL Docherty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:04 PM

Yeah i need a new rad when i went down to run my mini the other day there was frost the night b4 so when i got her started the ice started to melt and left a big crack in the rad and it *Drunk or yellow human water* out. My own dumb fault for not topping up the anti freeze. Can you get any more for a tenner jules. :)

#11 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 01:18 PM

Yeah I suppose I could, :) just for you!!

#12 JL Docherty

JL Docherty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 02:01 PM

wow your fantastic :) :)

#13 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 02:06 PM

Seriously, do you really want one, and if you do how soon do you need it? If it can wait I can bring it to MW45, but by the sound of it you need one sooner rather than later!!!! Can you post a radiator?!!?!?! :erm:

#14 JL Docherty

JL Docherty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 02:11 PM

I can wait till the mini 45 show. As postage on a rad may cost more than a tenner. But its cool i got other work to do aswel so theres no rush. Thx again. :)

#15 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 02:23 PM

Ok one radiator it is !!
I'l see what I can do!!! :grin:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users