#121 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,660 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

They seem to be aimed at the Lannie fraternity, you may find another Lannie parts supplier has them in stock.

Fitting:

It's just a transistorised switching device so will need a positive supply to power it, you should be able to take this off the positive terminal of the coil. It switches the the -ve side of the coil in exactly the same was as the points did i.e. the current comes down the -ve wire from the coil and earths through the module's base plate. If you've wired it up correctly and it's not working try adjusting the gap between the rotor arm and the module.

#122 tomsbluemini

tomsbluemini

My Blue little monster

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC / Kentish

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

Just a little bit of a topic revival.

Bought one of these kits, and it's all fitted fine, but the rotor arm that comes with it doesn't fit under either of the dizzy caps that I have...

The old one does fit, and clears everything inside the dizzy cap and clears the little magnet thing.

Is there any harm in putting the old rotor arm back on? As long as it clears the magnet and doesn't foul inside the dizzy cap surely it'll be fine?

Tom

#123 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,135 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

I had exactly the same problem, its just a very tight fit, you need to push harder or even give it a light tap.

It will go trust me.

ALSO BEWARE!!!!

I believe that these units DON'T like electronic ignition coils, I had a kit fitted to Poo and used a standard coil, swapped it to my new set up which had a new electronic ignition coil and it ran for 5 mins and then burned out.

To be safe make sure you use a standard coil.

Also, if you need another rotor Pm me as I now have a spare!!!

#124 tomsbluemini

tomsbluemini

My Blue little monster

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC / Kentish

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

Bloody hell Seamus, you were right... a few whacks with the wrong end of a screwdriver and it went on like a glove :)

Now it's time to get the poor old estate started up... hopefully, this will be the end to all my engine problems...

Watch this space :)

#125 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

Is there any harm in putting the old rotor arm back on? As long as it clears the magnet and doesn't foul inside the dizzy cap surely it'll be fine?

Glad you got the new rotor arm on mate, as there's not a chance in hell your car would have started without it!!!

The trigger for the sensor is moulded into the new rotor arm, which is why it's much thicker over the shaft than the standard arm.

Without the specific rotor arm, you wouldn't have been going anywhere.

You must remember this, it's the only downfall with the kit really. If you ever want to replace the rotor arm, you need a new one from britparts, or a whole new kit if it's not available on it's own.

I'm running mine on a ballast coil at the moment and it seems fine. Not sure if this is different to an electronic ignition coil though.....

#126 Flippy

Flippy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:05 PM

What dizzy will I have on my 1985 998 mini ritz. All i know is that its a lucas.

my 85 mini ritz is fitted with the ducelier type dizzy... ??????????

#127 Jaz

Jaz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: Bristol Mini Cooper Club

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

Just fitted this to my 1380 this evening. It now comes with the new 'red' module with improved dwell control and heat management.

My mini has always been a pig to start but with this installed it started first click and idled and revved much more freely. Certainly worth the £17!

For info I'm running a non ballast flame thrower coil.

#128 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

I'm running mine on a ballast coil at the moment and it seems fine. Not sure if this is different to an electronic ignition coil though.....

Scrap that, it's died on the ballast coil.
Time for a new module now with the 12v coil.

D'oh!

#129 Marky Tizz

Marky Tizz

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

I still havent fitted mine. I hope I get a chance before Friday morning otherwise I'm never gonna fit it. Will my standard coil (1989) be ok to go with it? Should be non-ballast right?

#130 stardude

stardude

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,457 posts
  • Local Club: hilltop mini's

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:31 AM

juat been to the shop and bought mine.

they are now selling the red module version instead of the blue, as it is better. but it now costs £13.50 without postage. but on ebay it is £18 without, so its still a bargain.

when i went in, he asked me if i was putting it on a mini lol. he said they hardly sell any for land rovers.

can anyone tell me what the little sachet of silicone is for???

#131 Sieve

Sieve

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Local Club: Eastbourne & District

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

The original link on this topic Here , is this still the correct one to order? Is this the one you have stardude?

Tom

#132 stardude

stardude

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,457 posts
  • Local Club: hilltop mini's

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:16 AM

i didnt order online, i just went to the shop as its up the road.

if i was you i would just order over the phone, as thats now the wrong price and picture.

but yes that is the link

#133 Sieve

Sieve

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Local Club: Eastbourne & District

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:43 AM

Cheers bud!

#134 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

What coil should i use with this kit?
will a lucas sports coil work?

Chris

#135 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

I think a standard 12v coil or lucas sports should work just fine (so long as it's the 12v)

I ran mine on a 9v coil for a while, and it seemed to run OK at first, but has fried the module after a few hundred miles :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users