178 replies to this topic

#76 apbellamy

apbellamy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:34 AM

I've ordered one and asked for a delivery/shipping quote. They came back saying that the shipping itself will cost me £25!!! I figured, not worth it for a £6.5 item... I know £31 is still cheaper than any electronic ignition kit out there, but it's a sum I couldn't throw away atm.... (damn exchange rate!)

Order say 5, the shipping shouldn't go up. Then sell 4 to people over there at £10 each. That way you get your's for free...

Or just get a few poeple together who want them and do a bulk buy

#77 mastermute

mastermute

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Local Club: MCS

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:04 PM

I've ordered one and asked for a delivery/shipping quote. They came back saying that the shipping itself will cost me £25!!! I figured, not worth it for a £6.5 item... I know £31 is still cheaper than any electronic ignition kit out there, but it's a sum I couldn't throw away atm.... (damn exchange rate!)

Maybe a memeber here can go to the PO and check what it costs to mail to Indonesia? I haven't recieved mine yet so I actually don't know but I suspect the device would fit in a regular Jiffy-bag... That could maybe cut the cost a bit... Well, just a thought.

I live in Sweden and I doubt it would be cheaper to ship via Sweden but I'll check postage to Indonesia as soon as I know the dimensions and weight of the device.

#78 WiredbyWilson

WiredbyWilson

WiredByWilson

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Local Club: WiredByWilson

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:41 PM

they do come in a normal A5 jiffy bag - postage seems spiteful :genius:

Per royal mail the posatge of a small packet up to 1kg is £11.07, so they are speaking out of their lardy backsides!

to be honest £6 postage in the uk is OTT!

I'm gonna be buying a spare soon so would consider getting more than one if people wanted to group buy.

Edited by Wilson1275, 17 July 2008 - 12:45 PM.

#79 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

Yeah... Minispares only charge me around £3-£11 for a regular post delivery of small packets so a £25 shipping quote seems outrageous (to me that is...)

Anyway, it's a good thing I cancel the order though... as I wanted to make sure first whether my dizzy's a 45D or a 59D....

#80 mastermute

mastermute

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:10 PM

to be honest £6 postage in the uk is OTT!

Actually, I have bought Landy parts from them before, and they run ads in tha Landy magazines and quote "fixed prices" for up to 30kg deliveries.. But on two occasions they have actually uprated the shipping, claiming I had read an old ad. So, I guess they have put "uprated shipping" in practice.

This particular item is a "Britpart" item and not unique to M-M4x4 so technically it should be available from other Landy sites too...

EDIT:
Did a quick search and found this:
http://www.britpart....cessoryRef=1700
http://www.lrseries....IT.html?limit=0

Slightly more expensive, but if the shipping is decent then it might be an option... (Or continue searching.. maybe an Indonesian Landy dealer might have it in stock!)

Edited by mastermute, 17 July 2008 - 02:20 PM.

#81 mastermute

mastermute

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:23 AM

I contacted Britpart about a kit for the 25D and they say it will be available in 6 weeks.

#82 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,135 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:25 PM

Well, I've joined the club and bought a couple!!

#83 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:51 AM

How do I connect it up, mine arrived today and Im not sure how to wire it up, it it just red side to + side of coil and black to the - side? I think i might have broken it doing it wrong the first time.

Did they include fitting instructions? I don't think you'd do any damage connecting it the wrong way round - the +ve terminal would still get 12volts, via the coil windings which would be a big resistance; the -ve side will also expect to see +12v which it will just switch to earth and it claims to have a wide range of operating conditions so won't see any more or less current than it would with a ballasted system in either running or cranking mode.

12v with a voltmeter at the -ve terminal will be read, it's the same as the negative terminal after any electrical item unconnected to earth, it's the amps from the +ve terminal straight up the wire that should have been connected to switch the earth that will have done the damage. A perfect example of why most voltmeters are rubbish for electrical fault finding.

Can I just have a straight answer please, there are 2 wires, where do they go? Thats how I connected my friends electronic ignition and it fired straight up.

#84 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:03 PM

Slightly off topic but only a little,...

My thinking is, because this is still using a standard coil and not an electronic coil, and the only item which has changed is from a mechanical point to a sensed electronic point, I get the feeling that they will still work..

I have an old Tacho,.. but i'm fitting the lumenition kit,.. If i'm not changing the coil from the standard one (i don't have to change it do i? pretty sure i dont) then does this mean my RVI tacho wont work>?

I'll see if I still have an old RVI/C around and connect it up and find out...

great :)

Retro... are you aware that this company is in Droitwich? On the A38 inbetween the 'Ridings island' and the traffic lights by the swan pub/restaurant towards Worcester. The place looks like an old petrol station, on the left as your going towards Worcester. They're quite good in there, sell quite a few usefull bits and pieces and some parts that are common with minis. :rolleyes:

#85 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,135 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:41 PM

Well, I fitted mine yesterday, no problems really, the rotor arm took a bit of a shove to seat properly, easy to wire up.

My Elf fired up sweet as a nut, Adjusted the timing and Pooh runs a treat.

Bought a glovebox spare(just incase)

I would recommend this to anyone.

Thumbs up from me

#86 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

Well, I fitted mine yesterday, no problems really, the rotor arm took a bit of a shove to seat properly, easy to wire up.

My Elf fired up sweet as a nut, Adjusted the timing and Pooh runs a treat.

Bought a glovebox spare(just incase)

I would recommend this to anyone.

Thumbs up from me

Yes but how is it wired up? I realy need to know now because im waiting to put my new one in.

#87 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,135 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

Did you get the instructions?

The red wire goes to the 12v supply to the coil, check with a meter.

The black wire goes to the wire that the points were connected too.

Have you got a multimeter?

Will make checking easier

#88 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

Retro... are you aware that this company is in Droitwich? On the A38 inbetween the 'Ridings island' and the traffic lights by the swan pub/restaurant towards Worcester. The place looks like an old petrol station, on the left as your going towards Worcester. They're quite good in there, sell quite a few usefull bits and pieces and some parts that are common with minis. :rolleyes:

OMG thats like 15 mins down the road from me lol!!

I forgot they did a load of land rover stuff

Edited by Stewart_GT, 10 August 2008 - 02:33 PM.

#89 Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:03 PM

My little tip for fitting is if you have a spare dizzy - I did - then just screw off the bottom plate that the points are attached to, without taking the points or condensor off, and screw on the sapre bottom plate, then attach the module. That way, if you have to reverrt back to points in an emergency - 50 miles from home in the dark etc - then just swap the base plates over. I've got mine in the boot in an old takeaway tub.
Alos on mine, I had to find a different live in the engine bay, as when it was connected to the coil live the engine was struggling to turn over. Must be some hefty voltage drop! Works ok now though. Apart from my exhaust fell off, but that's another story :rolleyes:

#90 andyc142

andyc142

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside Mini Club

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:38 AM

How are people using this kit finding it? Are they still working? would it be suitable for a daily drive?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users