#62 Tom Booth

Tom Booth

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Local Club: TurboMinis.co.uk

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:29 AM

Just ordered one for my mini after my Petronics kit gave up the ghost, lets see how this one fairs up!

#63 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

Ok as ive found out I did put mine in properly and it was just a damaged unit. ringing the company they said it can't be returned because it was an electrical item. I told them that waste products and they said theyd ring me back and to give them my number. They never rang me back, so I rang them and they didnt answer 3 times. 1 Minute later I rang on my house phone and oh look they answered on the second ring. And oh what a suprise the parts manager wasnt in. Now not answering my house phone. Not a happy bunny.

#64 apbellamy

apbellamy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:06 PM

I finally got round to fitting mine today. Well... I delegated that job to minimadmotormand, while I made the rusty bits more holly...

Big Nev has gone from coughing, spluttering and mis firing on a failed Aldon ellectronic ignition to running nice and smooth and pulling well with the new one fitted.

Very happy for 7 quid. I think I'll be putting the second one in my other clubby. ;)

Job's a good un.

#65 mastermute

mastermute

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Local Club: MCS

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

Ordered! I'm looking foward to testing this one!

Had a look around on the Landy site and found this dizzy... http://www.mm-4x4.co...odels-210-p.asp would that work as a replacement in a Mini?

#66 apbellamy

apbellamy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:23 AM

Ordered! I'm looking foward to testing this one!

Had a look around on the Landy site and found this dizzy... http://www.mm-4x4.co...odels-210-p.asp would that work as a replacement in a Mini?

Looks similar. I've got a brand new one in the shed. I'll dig it out later and have a compare. the vacume take of looks differnt and the shafft may also be different.

#67 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:37 AM

And no doubt the advance curves will be miles out for Mini use.

#68 WiredbyWilson

WiredbyWilson

WiredByWilson

• Traders
  • 5,004 posts
  • Local Club: WiredByWilson

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:40 AM

only issue i had was having to drill my own locator hole as the std one was no where the pin in my aldon red dizzy :D seems to run better although not had chance to drive it yet.

#69 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,660 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:43 AM

That's a bit of a cheek Mini Mad, haven't they heard of the Sale of Goods Act?
If it doesn't work they owe you a replacement or refund, whatever they think or say about electrical goods.

It would be tempting to investigate that dizzy for the money - it must be a copy for that price, so I'd be wary of the quality of such a precision item. I've no idea if it would bolt straight on, it's quite possible it will. It's much less likely it will give the right advance properties out of the box, if someone has a Haynes for a Lanny they could investigate.

#70 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Local Club: Cambscustomclassics.com

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:47 AM

That's a bit of a cheek Mini Mad, haven't they heard of the Sale of Goods Act?
If it doesn't work they owe you a replacement or refund, whatever they think or say about electrical goods.

They might read this forum, previously posted that it had been connected the wrong way round first!

#71 apbellamy

apbellamy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

And no doubt the advance curves will be miles out for Mini use.

A certain mister AC Dodd can recurve a dizzy if it fit's properly...

I have a hianes for a Range Rover, not that it will be much use...

Edited by apbellamy, 16 July 2008 - 10:50 AM.

#72 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

How do I connect it up, mine arrived today and Im not sure how to wire it up, it it just red side to + side of coil and black to the - side? I think i might have broken it doing it wrong the first time.

#73 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,660 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

How do I connect it up, mine arrived today and Im not sure how to wire it up, it it just red side to + side of coil and black to the - side? I think i might have broken it doing it wrong the first time.

Did they include fitting instructions? I don't think you'd do any damage connecting it the wrong way round - the +ve terminal would still get 12volts, via the coil windings which would be a big resistance; the -ve side will also expect to see +12v which it will just switch to earth and it claims to have a wide range of operating conditions so won't see any more or less current than it would with a ballasted system in either running or cranking mode.

#74 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:00 PM

Did they include fitting instructions? I don't think you'd do any damage connecting it the wrong way round - the +ve terminal would still get 12volts, via the coil windings which would be a big resistance; the -ve side will also expect to see +12v which it will just switch to earth and it claims to have a wide range of operating conditions so won't see any more or less current than it would with a ballasted system in either running or cranking mode.

12v with a voltmeter at the -ve terminal will be read, it's the same as the negative terminal after any electrical item unconnected to earth, it's the amps from the +ve terminal straight up the wire that should have been connected to switch the earth that will have done the damage. A perfect example of why most voltmeters are rubbish for electrical fault finding.

#75 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:23 AM

I've ordered one and asked for a delivery/shipping quote. They came back saying that the shipping itself will cost me £25!!! I figured, not worth it for a £6.5 item... I know £31 is still cheaper than any electronic ignition kit out there, but it's a sum I couldn't throw away atm.... (damn exchange rate!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users