pantera2075

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Local Club: GTMOC

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:46 AM

so hows it work?

It's probably a "Hall effect" sensor (Go Google it)

The movement of a piece of metal past the sensor (A small coil) produces a very small electrical signal in the sensor - the electronics amplify this signal and allow the coil to release the spark. The gaps in the metal on the rotor arm don't produce the electrical signal, so this is what gives you the timing - which is obviously adjustable by spinning the dizzy

#47 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:51 AM

pretty much the same way as all leccy ignitions (with the exception of those using a fan and light sensor ), the custom rotor arm has for magnets in it which passes the sensor.. and initiates the 'breaker'

#48 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:57 AM

i've an important question. there are two main types of tacho, one works with the old points system the other works with electronic set ups. so which type would run on this set up. oh and i've just bought a kit,ordered it tuesday got it wednesday!

You're talking about the RVC or RVI tacho's which intercept the signal to the coil from the dizzy on the -ve feed ( basically it passes through the tacho on a loop rather than just a feed wire )

My thinking is, because this is still using a standard coil and not an electronic coil, and the only item which has changed is from a mechanical point to a sensed electronic point, I get the feeling that they will still work..

I'll see if I still have an old RVI/C around and connect it up and find out...

It certainly works with the std 3 clock tacho.. ( which is whats inside my old tacho outer )

Edited by GuessWorks.co.uk, 13 June 2008 - 09:57 AM.

#49 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,660 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

I don't think they'll work with an RVI Tacho, but no harm in trying.

It's only likely an issue if you already have the Tacho as RVI ones are old. RVC's will work with all ignition systems, any new tacho you buy will be RVC.

Edited by Ethel, 13 June 2008 - 10:43 AM.

#50 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:09 PM

awwww, i have an RVI... that poos.... >_<

#51 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

How do I connect it up, mine arrived today and Im not sure how to wire it up, it it just red side to + side of coil and black to the - side? I think i might have broken it doing it wrong the first time.

#52 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,138 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

Slightly off topic but only a little,...

My thinking is, because this is still using a standard coil and not an electronic coil, and the only item which has changed is from a mechanical point to a sensed electronic point, I get the feeling that they will still work..

I have an old Tacho,.. but i'm fitting the lumenition kit,.. If i'm not changing the coil from the standard one (i don't have to change it do i? pretty sure i dont) then does this mean my RVI tacho wont work>?

I'll see if I still have an old RVI/C around and connect it up and find out...

great ;)

#53 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:47 AM

yeah i read a topic about fitting a smiths rev counter, which is what ill be doing. and it wont work with leccy ignition ;) it sucks really

#54 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:11 AM

Ok i think that mine is deffinatly broken, i conected red too + and - too black and tried to turn it over and smoke started to poor out of my dizzy and the little blue electronic module is all melted, too me it seems rhubarbed.

#55 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:19 AM

Ok i think that mine is deffinatly broken, i conected red too + and - too black and tried to turn it over and smoke started to poor out of my dizzy and the little blue electronic module is all melted, too me it seems rhubarbed.

;) at least you didnt buy a luminetion or something because that would have cost you a bomb, and then to break it would really be annoying

#56 apbellamy

apbellamy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:11 AM

I've got an Aldon Ignitor in my blue clubby. One of the wires came loose and it went pop. Now it has a missfire in mid range under load. AS I really should have a mini on the road, guess what I'll be buying...

#57 m1n1

m1n1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Local Club: I'm unsociable

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

i wish they produced a version for the 25d. Think its just the rotor arm thats different :cry:

#58 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:17 AM

Sod it, giving that a try.

#59 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,660 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

I think RVI rev counter problems are down to littler current pulses to drive the inductive sensor. It's supposed to say on the dial what type it is.

Surprised if it doesn't incorporate reverse polarity protection, send your melted unit back for a replacement. I guess there isn't a lot of QC in producing an under a tenner accessory?

#60 apbellamy

apbellamy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

Ordered mine yesterday. Came today. :unsure: That's good service.

I'll put it in at the weekend and report back!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users