562 replies to this topic

#76 Mincento

Mincento

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:53 AM

You need to ground a bit off the caliper and then you can fit them under, erm, wellers I think. Haven't done it myself...

DO NOT DO THIS it was done on my mini mayfair when i brought it and its a total bodge personally, i was told this by many on here that it was unsafe etc and i didnt listen but they were right if you want 10's do it the proper way with drums or s/alloy callipers a bodge can cost you considerably more in more ways than one if it all ends in tears

wayne

#77 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:58 AM

What happened to yours MiniCento?

#78 Mincento

Mincento

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:16 AM

really not going to go there :D all i say is i wouldnt recomend the 8.4's with 10's idea even to my worst enemy, really not worth bodging a car in my eyes

wayne

#79 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:34 AM

Well its not really too helpful unless you tell others what happened to yours? Did they crack or explode or something??

#80 Mincento

Mincento

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:49 AM

the main problem is with the spacing of the disc setup so that when you fit 10's over them (with spacers as well on mine) you basically end up with the caliper near enough out the back of the wheels so your paushing all the weight outbounds so apart from getting the usual bumpsteer you also get extremely snappy steering

also the place where the material is taken of the caliper becomes extremely weak and if given enough abuse WILL just snap so dont do it

wayne

#81 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:24 PM

if you want 10's do it the proper way with drums or s/alloy callipers a bodge can cost you considerably more in more ways than one if it all ends in tears

Out of interest do you think of the MkII Fiesta caliper conversion as a bodge?

I was skeptical at first about modifying brakes but I've just finished the machining on the relevant parts for the conversion and I think it looks great. There is a very slight machining mod to the part of the caliper between the mounting holes but most of the machining is done on the hubs as I was keen to keep any mods away from the calipers.

I totally agree that grinding lumps off the caliper is probably dodgy but, if all the machining is done correctly and some thought is put into the conversion, the Fiesta calipers can be used quite safely IMO.

Mart :D

#82 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:52 PM

Yawn, here we go again, we've had this discusion so many times now. Its not dodgey if done correctly, even some of the racers use this method and they give their brakes some serios abuse with no problems.

I have done it to a couple of my minis and one of which is a hill climber and never had any trouble. I had a spare caliper and ground it back to the fluid gallery to see how much material could be taken off and there is loads. If done corretly you only remove enough to clear the wheel (as per my topic in faq, which if you read is very minimal, more a case of re-shaping rather than removing) which still leaves around 1/2" of cast between the gallery and the edge of the calliper. If you think that you can make that much cast crack just by putting your foot on the brakes hard then I would like you to show me because your talking out of your ar..

So drilling and machining the hubs then fitting callipers that are designed for a different car is safe? to be honest mate I think both conversions are as 'risky' as each other, if either are done wrong then they will be a danger to the user, if done right then they are ok and more than up to the job.

This has been discussed enough times now already, for those who are interested in upgrading or converting their brakes, do a search because there is plenty of info on the site to get your teeth into.

#83 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:36 PM

There is no modification of the caliper involved the the fiesta conversion just nipping back the web on the mounting bracket. A part which could be completly removed it you relly fancied. Its NOT needed. At the end of the day brakes are for braking no matter what car they are from.
Every mod from lowering to deseaming can either be done properly or not. If you bodge a fiesta conversion it will be dangerous. I did not bodge mine and its just as safe as a standard 8.4" setup and considerably safer than drums that only work for a few miles after they've been adjusted.

#84 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

Quick question - what are insurance companies views on this mod?

My car is modified anyway (turbo'd and rear roll cage) and I've not yet got a quote as I'm still rebuilding it - I'm just wondering what the loading is on the insurance and if an engineers report is required.

Obviously it all depends on individual insurers but I wanted to get a general idea from those who have completed the mod.

#85 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:50 AM

Thread from the depths here!!

BUT was just wondering how you are getting on with the brake setup?

Also anyone else who has done this want to comment? and take piccies

#86 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:34 AM

Another question, how have you found the feel and power compared to the 8.4" setup?

#87 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

No One got any updates on any of their conversions then?

#88 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

Will be installing mine soon so will report back.

#89 Billy

Billy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

my setup is a couple of years old with nothing interesting to add
all I can say is my brakes are good and reliable
stopping power is similar to the standard 8.4" setup maybe not as reassureing at first but very controlable braking altough that could be down to my cheap and nasty local motor factor pads
I think the standard 8.4" setup is grabby'er and more responsive if anything over braked for the mini I've been rear ended 3 times on standard 8.4" and 2 times on the fiesta conversion so theres not much in it Lol
I have had many people tell me my brake lights dont come on untill I stop but at 30 they come on when I press the pedal which also happens to be when I stop Lol

#90 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:15 PM

I havent been on here for a while so its time for an update. The brakes are still great but ive changed the design of the hoses to incorperate a 90 deg union out of the caliper. Before with a straight union i had a s bend in the hoses and this was begining to damage the hose. Im going to go to a servo pretty soon as after having the car off the road for 3 months i realised they are a little on the heavy side. Loads of bite but strong legs needed.
Ive also just re insured the car and as its heavily modifed its on a modified car policy from miniworld. The brakes are included on the policy (it actually says fiesta calipers, modified disks) and they didnt care. Im 20 with 2 years NCB and fully comp im paying £450 so it obviously didnt effect the insurance to much. The person at miniworld said they just class them as no different than 4 pots.

Chris

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users