562 replies to this topic

#31 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:53 PM

Yeh that was a mistake but me GW i thought the caliper hoses came out the bottom of the caliper but i had the sides mixed up :cry: i would have used a 90 or 45 deg fixing had i realised as they're only a few pence more. oops.

#32 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:01 AM

You could swap the calipers over ?

#33 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:39 AM

Yeh i thought that but i wasnt sure if they were specifically designed to be this was round and wether swaping them would be dangerous.

#34 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:43 PM

Well ive had the brakes on now for a little over 100 miles and they are very good! As i said before the peddle is a heavy but once you get used to it theres real power there :wink:
Anyway i recon this is a very worth while conversion so im going to write a sort of instruction manual for it so you lot dont have to figure it out for yourselves.

#35 Dicanio

Dicanio

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:48 PM

Can you supply the details of the hose dimensions and fittings and contacts for where you purchased them, Cheers and nice work.

#36 Snowfruit

Snowfruit

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:35 PM

Any news on the how to guide? I'd love to convert my mini from 12's to 10's without the 300/400 £ it costs for cooper s setup.

#37 austin68

austin68

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:10 PM

Looking forward to the guide.

My cars a 93 so has discs already. Would i have to do the complete conversion inc the metro hubs etc and can i keep my servo?

#38 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:03 PM

Right well this is where im at with the instructions at the moment, not got very far as ive been very busy but gives you an idea. I'll finish it soon.
austin68; you can keep everything appart from your calipers and hoses and you modify your existing hubs.

Chris

ps. the brakes are really great now they have bedded in!

Mk1/2 fiesta calliper conversion,
for 8.4” mini brakes to allow 10” wheels

Parts required

· Mini (84 on); Standard disks,
Hubs,
Driveshafts / cv’s
Drive flange mounting bolts

· Metro (80-90); Vented disk brake drive flange

· Fiesta (76-89); Mk1 (76-83) calipers and mounting bolts or
Mk2 (83-89) callipers and mounting bolts

· Brake hoses; Full custom hoses with standard mini on the subframe end
and m10x1 on the calliper end and 32cm long
Moquip part numbers; Tel. +44 0208 568 1172

Bulkhead fitting HETBF1-3 x2
Bulkhead nut BNS5/8W x2
Hose end E321-3 x2
Converter from imperial to mm MMS5-3-31 x2
copper washers WC-3/8 x6
Airoquip hose TFE3 32 32cm

Modifications required
· Turn standard 8.4’’ disks down to 7.9”
· The hubs need to have a mounting face put onto the opposite side of the calliper mounting lugs parallel to the original and the mounting holes need to have the threads drilled out (10mm drill is perfect) for clearance for the fiesta bolts.

· The drive flanges need to have the wheel locating lugs removed, if they have them, so that mini wheels can be fitted (some alloys will fit without them being removed but you’ll have to check)

· The web on the calliper mounting bracket needs to be ground away a little for clearance on the hub. Its clear how much needs to be removed when offering it up to the hub.

#39 sandfly

sandfly

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:47 PM

this is an excellent conversion that updates any tired minis breaks and allows 10 inch on the 8.4 hub.
But please check with your insurance company that they will accept this mod as i made the mistake and have had an insurance claim invalidated as a result

#40 austin68

austin68

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:08 PM

Any chance this could be put in faq or in a how to section. I found it really useful, and it would be a shame to lose this info into the depths of prev posts.

Pleeeaaassseee

#41 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:19 AM

sorry to bring up an old and dead thread..... but how are you getting on now 6 months down the line? are you still runing teh fiesta brakes?

im hoping to go to tens in the next few weeks, and i need to sort out some brakes! these fiesta brakes are sounding like a REALLY good idea!

any mroe info on how you are getting on with them would be great!

thanks

nick

#42 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:00 PM

the brakes are brilliant, ive given them an absolute caining since they're been on an not had any problems, nurbergring didnt seem so hurt them, when people with vented setups were having trouble. they've been completely neglected recently as the cars been outside in the student car park since september and they havent been a problem (pitty about the rest of the car!) i'll add you on msn prawn and you can ask away!

#43 Deceptacon

Deceptacon

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:21 PM

What are the pad choices like?Definately seems much better than runnin Cooper S disks!what pads are you running?

Cheers

#44 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:02 PM

im running ferodo fast road pads, beleive it of not my local halfords had them in a sale...... £5! I do love a good bargain. There a resonably good choice actually as the same pads seem to be used in alot of fiestas and the xr2's

#45 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,231 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

My old XR2 used to have excellent brakes, I used the Mintex pads in them, once thay had got warm they were brilliant. Do you think there would be room to run the XR2 vented set up?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users