#466 shawsy

shawsy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Local Club: Yeovil Mini Mania

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:13 PM

Can anyone tell me whether the 3/8" x 24 UNF fitting needed at the subframe end is a male convex or male concave fitting, spoke to Rally design today but they need to know concave or convex?

Anyone fitted a 90 deg M10 fitting at the caliper end ? what length is needed, not sure i wont to go down the route of machining the face flat for the banjo type.

Looking forward to converting to 10's .............. anyone fancy some 6 x 12" Anthracite minilites ?? !!

#467 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

will 10x6 minilights fit??? anyone

My 6x10 GB's did but there are many designs, the norm rule of thumb i have found is that if the wheel has a step on the inside it prob wont fit, like 10" steels or specials. but the best way is to mock-up and try... or find someone with them on the car.

#468 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:36 PM

Well i drilled my hum out to 10mm and offered up the carrier and it literally only need about 1mm taken off to fit, does it sound like i have done something wrong somewhere? As all the other carriers i have seen have what looks like alot more that 1mm taken off...

#469 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Local Club: Cambscustomclassics.com

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:46 PM

Can anyone tell me whether the 3/8" x 24 UNF fitting needed at the subframe end is a male convex or male concave fitting, spoke to Rally design today but they need to know concave or convex?

Anyone fitted a 90 deg M10 fitting at the caliper end ? what length is needed, not sure i wont to go down the route of machining the face flat for the banjo type.

Looking forward to converting to 10's .............. anyone fancy some 6 x 12" Anthracite minilites ?? !!

I used landrover series 3 front hoses, they screw straight into the caliper,are the right length to not kink, you just need to do a bit of pipe replacing at the subframe end, one t piece on the drivers side inner wing joins the two hoses to each other and the valve on the bulkhead, join the hoses using copper piping to each hose from the t piece, works for me,
hope this helps.

#470 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

Well i fitte my flanges to the disks today. I then got them on the hub/shaft and put the nut on just for mocking it up and to space the carrier out, to get the spacing right i had to used one small spacer on the top and two on the bottom, however when i spin the disk it doesnt spin straight... So i thought dam this new disk is buckled, but i tried the other disk and the same thing happens... So i tried the other hub and that di exactly the same thing.

It seems to be buckled, it doesnt move much, but it does mean it doesnt move through the carrier evenly, will this cause any problems? or will this happen, just because i havent torqued up the hub nut?

Here are some pics anyway:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#471 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

Until every thing it torqued up you dont know if it will be OK, if its a bit out i would have thought it would be OK once torqued. I did the cooper S conversion and it was similar and till tightened properly.

#472 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:35 PM

Edited by mighty mini jack, 11 February 2010 - 12:39 AM.

#473 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:49 PM

Until every thing it torqued up you dont know if it will be OK, if its a bit out i would have thought it would be OK once torqued. I did the cooper S conversion and it was similar and till tightened properly.

Cheers :dontgetit: so is it the hub nut that would cause the disk to spin as if its buckled. Also i dont have the ball joints torqued up yet and there is no engine fitted so the driveshafts is just resting on the subframe.

Fingeres crossed it will be ok once its all torqued up.

#474 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

Well iv had this all up and running for about 250 miles now and they have seemed to work prety well, but i have just found out teh major downfull to this conversion, having a look over my engine today i saw that the driveshaft (pot joint part) was about 10-20mm out of the diff!!!

So i got all scared thinking my hub nut had come lost or ball joint was about to go, so i took the wheel off and inspected everything, so i couldnt think what was going on, but i had a good think about it and remembered the metro flanges pull the wheels out 10mm either side, so this will be bringing the driveshaft out that extra distance...

So now i really dont know what to do.

So if anyone else has dont this conversion i would check your driveshafts.

If anyone has come accross this how have you overcome the problem? the driveshafts is still gripping properly, but there cant be much of the spines in contact...

:genius: :) :) :D :o

EDIT: Having a think about it this might not be right as the gap between the hubs and gearbox will still be the same... :gimme: i dont know what to do has enyone else experienced this?

Edited by Tomf, 17 July 2008 - 05:32 PM.

#475 freaker

freaker

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: mini fun club belguim

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

hello,

whats the size in diameter of the complete setup ? as i would like to know if my wheels will fit...
thanks

freaker

#476 fairylou

fairylou

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:28 PM

Hey sorry to go back to a really old post. I'm trying to do this buy actually changing th hubs and cv joints to a later model on my 1962 mini mk1 then just doing the other steps to convert it to discs. I have the calipers etc but need to get an adapter made as its cheaper than the hose option (my dad is doing it i have no idea sorry if i sound like a fool- i'm a girl lol) he's a mechanic in france but obviously hasn't heard of this canny trick. Can anybody please give me clear instructions on how the adaptor needs to be to fit as i'm trying to get one made before i go away.

Thanks very much

#477 fairylou

fairylou

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:07 PM

Someone also suggested using a 4 pot brake hoses and a banjo bolt instead any ideas what sizes i should buy?

#478 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:37 AM

1) 5x10 cosmics
2) 5x10 compomotives
3) 5x10 mini lights
4) 5x10 100+
5) 5x10 mistral
6) 5x10 MWS mini lights (so i assume all MWS wheels)
7) 5/6x10 GB's
8)5/6x10 Cobra supaslots
9) 6x10 mercurys
10) 6x10 wellers
11) 6x10 revolutions
12) 6x10 Starmags
13) 6x10 Banded steelies (using a small 10mm spacer)

This means normal steelies should fit with a 10mm spacer...

#479 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:01 PM

1) 5x10 cosmics
2) 5x10 compomotives
3) 5x10 mini lights
4) 5x10 100+
5) 5x10 mistral
6) 5x10 MWS mini lights (so i assume all MWS wheels)
7) 5/6x10 GB's
8)5/6x10 Cobra supaslots
9) 6x10 mercurys
10) 6x10 wellers
11) 6x10 revolutions
12) 6x10 Starmags
13) 6x10 Banded steelies (using a small 10mm spacer)
14) 4.5x10 minispares minilites.
15) 5x10 compomotives

#480 freaker

freaker

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: mini fun club belguim

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

thank you guys for this i can now go a head with buying the parts

freaker