#436 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

Thanks Purtsi, I'm trying to find a conversion that'll keep the track as close to standard as possible. That's why I'm interested in whether that's what looks like a spacer at the wheel mounting side of the disc and whether it's got to be a specific size.
The car's very original so I'd rather try to keep away from alloys and arches if possible.
Unless I get lucky I guess this may mean splashing out Cooper S stylee...

I think the problem is the caliper fouls on the standard steel rim as they are a 2 piece design and it catches on the wheel center which is welded onto the outer rim causing a lip. I'm not shaw if this will help as the problem is due to the caliper spacing from the center of the hub so you can fit the 7.9" disc, and looking at the posts I don't think this changes. But Purtsi is you man... I would think it should be easy to get the spacers made up if you can get the sizes???

It should track differently as you wont need to use the disc brake CV's, flanges, etc so it wont be 1" wider. (P.S I dont think you can use the timkin bearings with the drum brake setup, but I don't know if they were introduced to cope with as the track of the car or another reason???)

#437 The Docmeister

The Docmeister

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:10 AM

I see what you mean. I'm hoping that by using the drum brake hub with adapter to take the caliper it will keep the caliper "further in" towards the suspension and away from that lip on the wheel.
The spacer at the drive flange face would then determine how far out the wheel will sit - like those heavily spacered Cooper S style alloys that fit with 8.4" discs. I.e. the wider the spacer, the further away from the caliper the wheel will sit (doesn't matter if the spacer is part of the wheel or fitted between wheel and drive flange).
The crux will be whether with the drum hub/ Fiat disc/ spacer the total distance that the wheel is pushed out is less than the disc brake hub/ 7.9" disc/ Metro drive flange - supposing that there is adequate clearance between the steel wheel and caliper.
I know the steels will fit with Cooper S brakes, but then they will push the wheel out and I should really fit matching rear drums. Then there's the cost!
You're right too about the bearings and that is a slight concern if the total offset reaches a similar 1" increase each side - but if this conversion has been developed through racing, then it hopefully won't be too much of a problem for a std 998 powered, hydrolastic, 37yr old Clubman!
I await news from afar with baited breath...

#438 KSM

KSM

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

I´m running KAD 4 Pots with vented discs and 4.5x10 Minilites without arches.

No problems there, at least with 145 tyres.

Clubman wings tend to cover more of the tyre anyway, so you should be fine with the Fiesta setup, depending on your choice of wheel.

As posted elswhere, I´m having the Fiesta carriers slimmed down to fit them in conjunction with the standard Mini disc flange.

I´m not sure this will allow the use of 3,5" steels, though.

#439 The Docmeister

The Docmeister

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

I'll have a search for your other posts, sounds interesting!

{{ Found it! Does that mean 8mm off the face of the carrier that mounts to the hub? If so, then by relieving the carrier, using Mini drive flanges and small spacers I may get clearance for steels without a huge increase in track! Could you post pictures of the carrier/hub when you get them together please? }}

I think I need to get the caliper (and therefore disc?) as far inboard as I can, but the mounting face for the wheel far enough outboard to keep the wheel from hitting the caliper (without increasing the track too much).
I'm going to have a look for the Australian Honda brake conversion. It uses drum hubs, perhaps in a similar vein to the Fiat disc route, so may give some idea of where everything's positioned.
Despite all this searching about, I've got a pair of Mini 8.4 discs at the machinists, so may well mock up the fiesta/mini setup and see what happens!

Edited by The Docmeister, 22 January 2008 - 11:05 PM.

#440 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

I have tried a steel wheel on my setup and it wont clear.I can't see you being able to take the caliper further in as it will touch the disk...

Try Ausmini.com for the Honda, It would be worth checking that the Honda models are the same.. i.e they dont have the Ford Fiesta down under hence why they don't do the Fiesta conversion

#441 The Docmeister

The Docmeister

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:08 PM

I can't see you being able to take the caliper further in as it will touch the disk...

That's what's so interesting about thining down the carrier and using the Mini drive flange. This would move the caliper inboard to align with the Mini disc/(thinner)drive flange combo. I could then add a spacer keeping the track the same as the Metro drive flange route, but effectively pushing the wheel away from the caliper/disc. This may just give space for steels...

The Honda or Fiat conversions use the drum braked hub so may again hold the the disc & caliper closer to the car, allowing me to space the wheel mounting face further out - again giving more room between the wheel and caliper.
More research is needed on that front, thanks for the pointer to Ausmini!!

#442 MR J

MR J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Local Club: Doncaster Mini Owners

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

Just bought some calipers and brackets to do this conversion, Paid £58 delivered. Have I paid to much?? Need some drive flanges now. Anyone? :)

#443 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:43 PM

I paid £20 from a brakers and I had to take them off... I wouldn't worry about the cost more about the condition. but now you have the carriers you can chop the calipers in for re-con items I paid £30 a caliper for re-con this was from my local factor..

#444 duncancallum

duncancallum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Local Club: South Lancs Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

Fiesta Caliper Brackets

they look like they could be usefull it all depends on how far the "ears" come out if you could et them neared the hub you could decrease your disc radius by a small amout which would help the clearence problem

on the dunlops theres a lip in the inbord side of the wheel that causes the problem

#445 ChrisL

ChrisL

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:47 PM

I did this conversion and my mini failed the MOT on a pitted brake disc. On strip down it seems that the pads are worn unevenly. The outer pad is worn on the bottom and the inside pad is worn on the top, so I assume the caliper and carrier is slightly out of alignment. Has anyone had the same problem? It seems that the face the carrier mounts to is just a rough casting and can be uneven.

To rectify I am going to get the hub machined around the carrier mounting points and have some spacer pieces made to make up the difference and to include the spacing washers.

#446 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

I actually faced off the mating surface of the hub where the carrier mounts, i think it is shown in the video.............

Cheers

#447 ChrisL

ChrisL

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

Just looked back at the video and you can see this has been done. Didn't notice when I did the conversion.

#448 duncancallum

duncancallum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Local Club: South Lancs Mini Owners Club

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

its due to the flange bing rough and as cast bust if you look closley its tappered as well

#449 minidan

minidan

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:05 PM

just machined my hubs to take the fiesta carriers and having done that and got the disc/calipers all fitted to the hubs , i just tried to fit my wheels and they wont fit!!!!

i dont ******** believe it!! :)

the wheels are 10" mini special alloys and its NO where near even close to fitting.

bummer.

*edit* - can i also just say why are people using 7.9" discs when 8.4s would be a lot better fit?

*edit edit* just been having a good look at the calipers to see how i can get this to work and i think it will be possible to grind away the parts of the caliper that are binding and because the fiesta calipers are single pot there is no danger of griding too close to the fluid channels.

watch this space.

Edited by minidan, 09 April 2008 - 07:03 PM.

#450 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

8.4's wont fit under 10's unless you use a masssssssiiiivvvvveee spacer or those jap wheels...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users