#391 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:18 PM

The drive flanges came from an MG metro with 4 pot calipers.

We used MG turbo flanges or you can use and metro flange with vented discs, so I think the four pot ones should be good.

Mark only used one washer per mounting face so a total of 4 for the car.

#392 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:03 PM

they have to be from vented discs. so that you get the right offset of the disc

#393 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

i only need one washer as well

#394 duncancallum

duncancallum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Local Club: South Lancs Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:51 AM

I've gon down this route to but have a couple of questions:

when the braket is bolted to the hub it pulls against the disc is it best to file the mount or just use a washer to get the clearance?

also they just slighty touch the d1s so o was going to file/polish the callpier up to clear it

any other tips

#395 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

I've gon down this route to but have a couple of questions:

when the braket is bolted to the hub it pulls against the disc is it best to file the mount or just use a washer to get the clearance?

also they just slighty touch the d1s so o was going to file/polish the callpier up to clear it

any other tips

using a washer is by far the easiest thing to do and on mine i found it pushed the mount out to the perfect distance.

i wouldnt advise removing any material from the caliper but it might be ok to just "polish" it...

#396 duncancallum

duncancallum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Local Club: South Lancs Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:01 PM

hi its only just scuffing i recon just runing over it with a flap disk just to clean the casting up

thanks for the reply

#397 Scruffs

Scruffs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking at doing this conversion and have a couple of questions that I can't find answers to, if anyone can help it'd be much appreciated!

What's the overall effect on the brake balance? If anyone has a similar setup to my planned one then I'd like to hear from you! Yellow band master cylinder, Fiesta calipers on solid discs (no drillings/slots etc), 3/4" bore rear cylinders and 165/70's on cosmic 10x6's (hopefully yoko 008's)

How did you square up the upright on the bed of the mill so as to machine the caliper mount face paralell with the disc? I can't think of anywhere obvious, although I don't have an upright in my hand at the mo...

Cheers!

Al

#398 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:50 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking at doing this conversion and have a couple of questions that I can't find answers to, if anyone can help it'd be much appreciated!

What's the overall effect on the brake balance? If anyone has a similar setup to my planned one then I'd like to hear from you! Yellow band master cylinder, Fiesta calipers on solid discs (no drillings/slots etc), 3/4" bore rear cylinders and 165/70's on cosmic 10x6's (hopefully yoko 008's)

How did you square up the upright on the bed of the mill so as to machine the caliper mount face paralell with the disc? I can't think of anywhere obvious, although I don't have an upright in my hand at the mo...

Cheers!

Al

They yellow band should be cool as its .075 to the front and .70 to the rear.. My car had a brake limit valve on the rear subframe so I never changed the rear cylinders, but it you are locking the rears before the fronts the norm route is to change to the very small 1275GT cylinders Mini spares sell them.
The 10x6 Gb I have rub on the wheel arch on full lock so I have just swapped to 10x5 with 165 tyres, I also use A008 and it brakes as good at the 12" 8.4" mini's

#399 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:11 PM

Interesting 'drum' conversion. Do these Fiat discs go straight on - or do they need any machining ?

#400 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:01 AM

Interesting 'drum' conversion. Do these Fiat discs go straight on - or do they need any machining ?

Purtsi is the man on that conversion he uncovered it... :wub:

#401 ChrisL

ChrisL

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:23 AM

Finally managed a drive in the Mini last night after fitting the fiesta calipers. I think the brakes still need some bleeding, there seems a lot more pedal travel then before and the brakes don't pull up very good.

I could only bleed the offside rear and both front brakes due to the nearside rear nipple being seized, would this effect the pedal travel? my car is an 85 on a C plate and the brakes are split from a valve on the bulkhead. Two pipes come from the master cylinder and split front to rear from this valve, if I have only disturbed the front pipes will air still get to the rear brakes?

Anyway test driving was put on hold due to the car cutting out at tickover and throwing petrol out the overflow.

#402 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:37 PM

Can't remember about the twin circuit MC's but I think its covered in the Haynes manual.. I use a single circuit bean can...Either way IMO it would be best to bleed all of the brakes to re-fresh the fluid.
Long pedal is norm down to incorrect adjusted rear brakes... I have a high firm pedal but you do have to keep on ensuring the rears are adjusted... Squishy pedal is norm air... check the Haynes manual all bleeding is covered in there.

Oh if you have new front calipers the seals on mine kept sucking the piston all of the way back in so you had to move lots of fluid to push the pads against the disks on the first press. I have since read that this can be quite common try jamming the pedal on over night with a stick, if this is the case. You can check but taking the wheels off and checking if the piston is fully returning.

#403 ChrisL

ChrisL

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for that, I'm gonna get a new rear bleed nipple / wheel cylinder on Sunday at Stanford Hall and also some new wheel arches to cover the 6 x 10 wellers which now stick out by approx 2 1/2" from the old standard mini plastic arches!!!

On early drives the car seems to handle far better on the wellers then the 5 x 12 superlites.

#404 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:01 PM

10's are just soooo cool

#405 ChrisL

ChrisL

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:54 PM

bleeded the brakes again the other night and the pedal seems a lot better (might do it again tho'). Following my quick drive the other night I took the wheels off and the disc's are bright for about an 1" thick around the outer edge, I guess this will increase as the brakes bed in and braking will improve as this happens?

Bought some group 6 arches from Stanford on Sunday so these will be going on tomorrow and the car will be road worthy again.... can't wait to throw round some roundabouts!!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users