Purtsi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Flying Finns

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:44 AM

looks good

i have added up the cost of my conversion, calipers, hubs, discs and hoses and it came to £97.

not bad for decent disc brakes under 10" wheels.

Wow, not bad at all :wacko:

#362 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:23 PM

And here's something totally different on behalf of my finnish Mini friend! =)

Yes, those are Fiesta brake calipers, but this conversion is made so that you use your existing brake drum hubs + mini flanges + Fiat 127 brake disc + bespoke "metal thingie" (pic) :teehee:

A waaaayyyyy cheaper brake disc conversion than what we have done here lol. People who are racing in Mini 1000 Cup here in Finland have been using this conversion over 10 years now and I found out about this few days a go. There are a bit metal work involved, but not much more than this other setup i think. Clever stuff huh? :P

What a cool Idea.... can you buy those adapters or do they knock them up from a template? got any instructions?

Edited by Gr4h4m, 15 June 2007 - 01:24 PM.

#363 Purtsi

Purtsi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Flying Finns

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:50 PM

Those adapters are self made and I'm looking forward getting few for myself. I have to measure them to exect dimensions. Build instructions have so far beeing "use these parts and put it together and it should work" =) There is a lot of filing and a bit of drilling, but the basicly that's the how it goes.

#364 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

i have faced both the calipers now and everythings on the car, just need to do the solid pipes now

#365 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:23 PM

Those adapters are self made and I'm looking forward getting few for myself. I have to measure them to exect dimensions. Build instructions have so far beeing "use these parts and put it together and it should work" =) There is a lot of filing and a bit of drilling, but the basicly that's the how it goes.

They are a great idea...... must be a very fast drum upgrade, but not sure how the drum bearings would hold up?

#366 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:00 AM

ive finally sorted my life out and got some hoses.

i got them through rally design, they made them up for me too. 20* extended banjo on the fiesta end, stainless braided hose, 320mm end to end, little under £40.

Posted Image

here's the best bit... i ordered them at about 2:30 pm yesterday and they turned up at my house at 9:30 this morning.

cant recommend them enough.

Quick question just to clarify - is that 320mm cut length of pipe or 320mm including the fittings? want to phone up to order mine today :)

#367 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:02 PM

mine are 320 inc the fittings you can see these on the vid time index 1:53

Edited by Gr4h4m, 21 June 2007 - 08:47 AM.

#368 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

mine are 320 in the fittings you can see these on the vid time index 1:53

Perfect - cheers.

#369 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:36 AM

yes fitting to fitting 320mm i got my measurements from grahams video.

#370 gavfoz

gavfoz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:13 PM

Just to let you know that East Midlands Auto Breakers took delivery of a Mk2 Fiesta today. Needless to say it does not have any front callipers or carriers anymore. :- £20 for the pair was not too bad I guess.

I will read this thread in more detail tonight before asking any silly questions!

Gav

#371 gavfoz

gavfoz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:49 PM

Right, read it all, just about to watch the video. Only took an hour! lol. Should of read it whilst at work tommorrow! ;D

It seems straight forward enough once the parts are collected. Just need to get some vented drive flanges and the hoses sorted I think.

My car is one of the last to be fitted with drums all round and ten inch wheels as standard. The drums were not even the spacer drum jobbies. I understand from reading this to even up the front to back track I need to fit spacer drums and possibly some spacers. What bore wheel cylinders are people using out back?

I have seen the list for wheels that work with this setup but I think in some ways a list of wheels that don't fit would be just as useful.

Anyone know if they fit behind Dunlop D1s? Or should I use this as an excuse to get my Specials split-rimmed.

Thanks in advance
Gav

#372 ChrisL

ChrisL

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:52 PM

I have all the parts now except for the brake lines which I/m going to order next week. Where does the bolt come from for the banjo fitting end?

#373 gavfoz

gavfoz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

To answer my own question (perhaps) I have found out that non-XR2 and non-diesel Mk2 Fiestas used rear wheel cylinders with 17.5mm bores. The nearest wheel cylinders from the Mini side of things is these: as fitted to the 1275GT. They have a bore of 17.46mm so they should do nicely.

Interestingly my calipers don't have a recess where the banjo will bolt down to. I guess thats just good luck but it cuts down on a bit of work.

#374 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:10 PM

To answer my own question (perhaps) I have found out that non-XR2 and non-diesel Mk2 Fiestas used rear wheel cylinders with 17.5mm bores. The nearest wheel cylinders from the Mini side of things is these: as fitted to the 1275GT. They have a bore of 17.46mm so they should do nicely.

Interestingly my calipers don't have a recess where the banjo will bolt down to. I guess thats just good luck but it cuts down on a bit of work.

Most people use the 1275 GT rear cylinders if you don't have the bias valve on the rear subby... As the the recess its only appears on the re-manufactured calipers as they recut the bleed nipple hole.... looks like you are getting on well can't wait to see the pics. :shifty:

#375 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

I have all the parts now except for the brake lines which I/m going to order next week. Where does the bolt come from for the banjo fitting end?

got my hoses from rally design, good price, great service they came the next morning! just ask for the banjo bolts from where ever you order the hoses?!

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users