#226 Luis

Luis

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Local Club: Miniworld Club, Stgo. Chile

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:05 PM

I have one doubt, the MkII fiesta caliper conversion is possible in mini hub?. Caliper of F-Fiesta MkI they do not exist in my country! I have a problem :D note:excuse me , my english is bad :ph34r:

Luis

Chile

yes the caliper is almost a direct fit onto the mini hub.
Do you have mk2 fiestas in your country? The mk2's can be used too.

Yes!, I have mk2 fiestas to 2007 in my country, this information is very good for me, I have 10" wheels

#227 Purtsi

Purtsi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Flying Finns

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

Oh damn.. noticed today when assembling the brakes that I need to get 2mm shim-plate behind the metro flange to get the disc in center.. that seems to be the case when using standard metro flanges.. :D otherwise I'd have got my brakes finished today.

#228 Luis

Luis

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Local Club: Miniworld Club, Stgo. Chile

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

Other question, the standar flange Mini 1275 GT to serve F-fiesta brakes conversion??

#229 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

Oh damn.. noticed today when assembling the brakes that I need to get 2mm shim-plate behind the metro flange to get the disc in center.. that seems to be the case when using standard metro flanges.. :D otherwise I'd have got my brakes finished today.

No you dont, just put a 2mm shim (washer) Between the caliper mounting bracket and the hub, A shim between the hub may give you problems with the disc running out of true.

Cheers

#230 Purtsi

Purtsi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:53 PM

No you dont, just put a 2mm shim (washer) Between the caliper mounting bracket and the hub, A shim between the hub may give you problems with the disc running out of true.

Cheers

Umm.. I might explained it a bit wrong, but where the washer goes is between the flange and ball bearing. As I see it, that's the only way how to get brake disc outwards. If I put the washer between hub and mounting bracket... actually I can't, because it won't fit there..

by the way. what u mean by running out of true? :ph34r:

#231 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

Umm.. I might explained it a bit wrong, but where the washer goes is between the flange and ball bearing. As I see it, that's the only way how to get brake disc outwards. If I put the washer between hub and mounting bracket... actually I can't, because it won't fit there..

where does the disc sit in the mounting bracket? too far toward the middle of the car or too far outwards? mine was outwards and using the washer, as mark said, was perfect. you can get it in there its very easy, i dont know why you said it wont fit.

by the way. what u mean by running out of true?

not running round in a straight circle, so like this // or this \\ instead of ||. looking from the front of the car.

J

#232 Purtsi

Purtsi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:09 PM

where does the disc sit in the mounting bracket? too far toward the middle of the car or too far outwards? mine was outwards and using the washer, as mark said, was perfect. you can get it in there its very easy, i dont know why you said it wont fit.

by the way. what u mean by running out of true?

not running round in a straight circle, so like this // or this \\ instead of ||. looking from the front of the car.

J

It' too far toward the middle of the car. That's why the washer doesn't fit there.

Oh, that the running out of true means.. :D but I believe that if i get that washer machined in certain size so it's same size as the inside of the flange that is tightened against the ball bearing, there shouldn't occur any foul as it will be exact fitment.

#233 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

It' too far toward the middle of the car. That's why the washer doesn't fit there.

ok. what caliper/drive flange are you using? did you machine anything off the face on the hub where the caliper bolts to?

but I believe that if i get that washer machined in certain size so it's same size as the inside of the flange that is tightened against the ball bearing, there shouldn't occur any foul as it will be exact fitment.

so running a spacer inbetween the flange and the bearing? i think if, as you say, make it to the exact size as the end of the driveflange it should be ok.

how far away from the centre is it? if its a tiny amount could you not face the caliper mounting bracket?

J

#234 Purtsi

Purtsi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

ok. what caliper/drive flange are you using? did you machine anything off the face on the hub where the caliper bolts to?

but I believe that if i get that washer machined in certain size so it's same size as the inside of the flange that is tightened against the ball bearing, there shouldn't occur any foul as it will be exact fitment.

so running a spacer inbetween the flange and the bearing? i think if, as you say, make it to the exact size as the end of the driveflange it should be ok.

how far away from the centre is it? if its a tiny amount could you not face the caliper mounting bracket?

J

It's a '85 mk2 caliber and metro flange from normal 4-pot brakes. Couldn't find a turbo one. I didn't machine down the face of the hub as there is only a very thin layer of paint on it and it's nice and flat. As i tested, the 2mm washer that I found and used worked perfectly and the disc sits nice in the middle. I know that if I start machining down 2mm with angle grinder from the hub or from the mounting brackets, the result won't be as flat and even as it should be.

#235 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:42 PM

so are you going to make up a 2mm washer then? its crucial thts it completely flat and square.

I know that if I start machining down 2mm with angle grinder from the hub or from the mounting brackets, the result won't be as flat and even as it should be.

yes thats true but machining in my book is not done with an angle grinder mate :wub:

J

#236 Purtsi

Purtsi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

so are you going to make up a 2mm washer then? its crucial thts it completely flat and square.

I know that if I start machining down 2mm with angle grinder from the hub or from the mounting brackets, the result won't be as flat and even as it should be.

yes thats true but machining in my book is not done with an angle grinder mate :angel:

J

It shouldn't be problem to get it completely flat as it will be done with proper machines (and i won't do it myself) :wub: Seems to be that we read a bit different kind of books here then :crazy:

#237 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:39 PM

Seems to be that we read a bit different kind of books here then :wub:

lol.

what i meant by machining was doing it on a mill. if you are getting it done by a engineering shop it'll be fine.

let us know how you get on.

J

#238 Purtsi

Purtsi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:02 PM

Seems to be that we read a bit different kind of books here then :angel:

lol.

what i meant by machining was doing it on a mill. if you are getting it done by a engineering shop it'll be fine.

let us know how you get on.

J

I let my dad sort out the washer thing as he knows many local machinist and workshops where those can be done. It's just real slow to work on a mini at the moment because I'm living 70km from the parents place where the garage is. So I get a change to work on it only during weekends every fortnight or so. But it'll be ready before may, I promise u that :wub:

#239 Purtsi

Purtsi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

..And here are few pics that I have taken during the weekend:

this is with 2mm washer. Not the best picture, but seems to be quite in the middle.

Attached File  IMG_2878.jpg   361.85K   64 downloads

And here's everything loosely in place.

Attached File  IMG_2880.jpg   428.8K   87 downloads

and this was the starting point for the callipers by the way:

Attached File  IMG_2743.jpg   567.77K   53 downloads

#240 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:29 PM

mate your hose set up looks spot on!

what banjo did you use on the mini end?

did you file away at the caliper to remove the recess? or have you used an extra copper washer? or something different altogether?

chers

J

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users