52 replies to this topic

#1 Wickett McGibson

Wickett McGibson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:02 PM

I’ve always loved minis and in 2006 I purchased my 1st. It was a red Austin Mayfair. It was my pride and joy until someone drove into it whilst parked overnight and then drove off. The damage was too much for myself to fix so I had to sell.

I knew I’d want another mini so I started to look and came across a 1990 Rover Mini City recently modified into a Purple Cooper look-a-like. Here they both are below:

Attached File  bear_minis.JPG   83.16K   48 downloads

I drove her for about 8 months day to day with only the usual classic car tweaking problems, which never bothered me too much. Here she is again on one of my little adventures:

Attached File  Me_n_Yeti_Mini.JPG   89.63K   50 downloads Attached File  Mini_of_cliff.JPG   57.05K   40 downloads

I guess the day to day driving of her eventually was too much as she gave up on me in September 07. I didn’t have the heart to sell her, or break her, so I put her in garage and set about fixing her. Fixing quickly became totally changing and the begining of Mini-Bop II. Here are some pix of the progress so far:

As you can see, the engine and engine bay were a let down to the rest of the car
Attached File  002.JPG   2.67MB   23 downloads Attached File  003.JPG   2.91MB   18 downloads

This is the day she went into the garage
Attached File  005.JPG   2.78MB   18 downloads Attached File  008.JPG   2.84MB   13 downloads

This is her being taken apart bit by bit
Attached File  010.JPG   128.05K   18 downloads Attached File  009.JPG   2.78MB   13 downloads

The 998 lump that came out
Attached File  012.JPG   121.83K   18 downloads

And the 1275 going back in
Attached File  015.JPG   140.76K   49 downloads

The work done on the engine bay - totally transformed
Attached File  engine_bay.JPG   22.09K   52 downloads

With the new lump in now - this is how she stands
Attached File  022.JPG   144.94K   46 downloads

Along with the engine which still requires slight work before she's back running again, I have been changing the interior from the standard grey Rover City interior into something really original.

Pix of the new interior will follow shortly.

Hopefully Mini-Bop II will be ready for L2B cus iv got a ticket and wouldnt want it to go to waste :thumbsup:

Edited by MiniPowell13, 01 March 2008 - 09:35 PM.

#2 In-a-mini

In-a-mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Local Club: smag (southend mini action group)

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:22 PM

nice colour and that engine is spotless looking good keep up the good work and keep posting

#3 Wickett McGibson

Wickett McGibson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:01 AM

nice colour and that engine is spotless looking good keep up the good work and keep posting

Thanks.

I will keep this updated until finished!!

#4 Foxy Mini

Foxy Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Mini Club

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:40 PM

Love the colour :thumbsup:

#5 sheree&the-gt

sheree&the-gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Local Club: Leeds MOC

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

was you in the mini mag (a recent one)?? sure i've seen it!

#6 Wickett McGibson

Wickett McGibson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:58 PM

was you in the mini mag (a recent one)?? sure i've seen it!

Yeah i was in the "I love Mini" section of MiniWorld this month. Im hoping it may be worthy of a full article when complete.

#7 Wickett McGibson

Wickett McGibson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:59 PM

As promised, some pix of the seats I will be putting in. Purchased these of TMF member "Ali" about a month ago after he decided to break his mini following an accident. As you can see, the seats have Union Jacks stitched into the headrests - there are matching door cards to go with too.

Attached File  seats.JPG   14.66K   39 downloads

My old man has also nocked up a custom dash board - ill try n get some pix of that when i can.

Edited by MiniPowell13, 02 March 2008 - 01:03 PM.

#8 Wickett McGibson

Wickett McGibson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

I think I have a problem with my fuel cap

Basically it seems that fuel is running down the back of the car under the fuel cap and bubbling my paintwork like a rite b**ch. Im not sure whether the problem is the cap or the rubber under the cap.

Has anyone else had similar problems in the past and if so, advice would be welcome...

#9 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:16 PM

Do you really want a list of every TMF under the title "add your name if youve had fuel spilling out the neck" lol

Looks like a decent project.

#10 Wickett McGibson

Wickett McGibson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:26 PM

Do you really want a list of every TMF under the title "add your name if youve had fuel spilling out the neck" lol

Its not spilling out as such. I just cant work out whether its my fuel cap or the rubber.

Its not a list of people im after obviously - Its as case of finding where the problem lies. Thanks for killing off my question.

Edited by MiniPowell13, 16 March 2008 - 07:55 PM.

#11 Wickett McGibson

Wickett McGibson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

More work done thisweekend. Having a bit of trouble starting the new engine. Has been sat a little while though but she sounds like she wants to go. Here are the latest pix:

Attached File  024.JPG   1.72MB   17 downloads Attached File  023.JPG   1.7MB   33 downloads

2 months now until L2B - the clocks ticking and hopefully she will make it!!

#12 Albert Screwdriver III

Albert Screwdriver III

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local Club: Central Minis

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:24 PM

I want to see the new dashboard

#13 Wickett McGibson

Wickett McGibson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:57 PM

New dizzy arrived now!! Hopefully will get this baby started 2morro!!

I want to see the new dashboard

Will see what I can do Mr Screwdriver...

#14 Wickett McGibson

Wickett McGibson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

YIPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEE!! She ROARS!!

Finally she ran 2day!! Took a while but we (me and my bro) got there! Not even the rain could stop us 2day!! Check out the smoke at the back of the garage!!

Attached File  029.JPG   1.67MB   16 downloads

All left to do now is finish the cooling system, lights etc and get the exhaust on - then she's ready for the MOT. Cant w8.

Also, as promised:

Attached File  027.JPG   1.71MB   58 downloads

#15 minili

minili

Awesome and Flattering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,140 posts
  • Local Club: TMF South Central

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:24 PM

Hey, it's looking good! Well done for getting it running :thumbsup: Good luck finishing it for L2B, should see you there! :-

As for petrol coming back out of the petrol cap, presumably just a bad seal, I'm not sure how much a new petrol cap costs but I'm sure it's not much - probably worth it to see if it cures it :thumbsup: I have petrol stains down the side of my Mini too :wub:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users