10 replies to this topic

#1 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 09:27 AM

Ok, I dont know if its me, but my mini seems to be rusting before my very eyes, lol.
Well, hopefully, as long as the paint from halfords matches mine I should be able to do most of the rust easily, but...

1) How easily does the front windscreen come out? There is a lot of rust around there and It would be a lot easier If I could get it out to tidy all the metal behind it up. Also, Do I need to replace any seals or anything afterwards, or will the old ones go on ok?

2) I think the colour of my car , Racing green is a metallic paint, does this mean I will need to put a laquer or clear coat over the top? If so, how easily can this be done with a spray can?

3) Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to have enough paint made up to cover the usual rusty spots, such as under the windscreen, around the lights etc.

I would much rather have this done professionally, but obviously its expensive and I cant afford it. For now, If I can just tidy it up cheaply that would be great.
Thanks a lot everyone,
pEaCE
Dom

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 06 February 2004 - 11:34 PM

The screen comes out easy, its gettin it back in thats tricky. You idealy need the tool for the fillet strip (bout a tenner) and plenty of fairy liquid...

As for the paint, you're gonna need as much as it takes, tough one to answer without seein it...

If you take the screen out, be prepared to find some horrors behind it, its usualy the case that if its rusting around the seal, it will be worse under it! Sorry to put a downer on it...

#3 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 08:49 PM

Seriously, if you don't want to go into depression I'd just scrape off any surface rust you can see (wire brush or drill with those wire rust scraper things works well) and little bit of filler and paint it...

If you start looking for ways to get rid of the rust, you'll find more and more of it and its really not a nice thing!

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 08:59 PM

And more and more and more....

#5 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 04:13 AM

Hey
thanks a lot guys,
Im guessing the fillet strip is the chrome strip, pressed into the rubber thing, right?
I think your both right, it really does look like its going to be bad behind there.

I think i might still take it out anyway though, Ive got a bit of a leak and It would be good to fix that too. After hearing what you guys are saying, I really am not looking forward to it now :)
This whole rust thing is starting to scare me now, everywhere I look i can see bits of rust coming up, AGH, hehe.
Does anyone know if I do need to put a clear coat over the top?
Oh well, if I can tidy it up for now, one day I might be able to afford a respray,
pEaCE
Dom

#6 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 10:52 AM

It probly wont hurt to put a clear coat on it, will hold off the water for a bit longer...

If your takin the screen out, are you any good with a welder?! You might be lucky, and it not be too bad, I;ve done it before expecting the worst, and its been fine...

#7 simmo

simmo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 11:19 AM

you will get a better finish with the clear coat. it also brings the colour out, so you get a better match. :)

#8 simmo

simmo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 11:22 AM

also read somwhere that when u put the screen back, you should use a sealant, :erm: cant remember where i saw it though :) good luck wiv the rust :wink:

#9 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 05:04 PM

Hey,
im not bad with a welder, but ive never welded anything that thin, My dad is pretty good with one though, and he should be able to help, if he gets a bit of spare time.
Yeah, I was wondeirng if I would need some kind of sealant. Ill look into it,
i think ill give the clear coat a try, ive just added the first coat of colour, its not looking too bad, but its starting to get dark so ill see how it looks in the morning,
thanks a lot
pEaCE
Dom

#10 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 04:02 PM

If your gonna do something do it properly so the rust wont come back for many years!!

Take the windscreen out and the seal, do all the appropriate welding, as for the paint cant just paint a little bit of the car it will look odd esepically if you got other rusty bits. Like you said it needs to be done professionally.

Then put a new seal in, DO NOT cut the seal, it might take 2 hours to get the damm windscreen back in (talking from experience) but at least there will be no leaks. Do not use sealant, very bad stuff and anyway if you dont cut the seal you shouldn't need to use sealant anyway, Right!? Its crappy stuff and doesn't work.

Also when fitting the windscreen back in, don't use fairy liquid, use vaseline.!!

#11 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 04:04 PM

Another thing!

The rust might not seem bad on the outside but you look further and theres huge holes in the thing normally!! So just have it done properly.!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users