30 replies to this topic

#1 smudgersmb

smudgersmb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:18 PM

Well, I thought I would start a thing about my Mozzie and share a few pics with you lot :grin:

Where to start? Just a quick run down on the Man himself seems good. A few years back Chris had an idea, he was always into his Minis (he's over 6'3"ft tall) and has built a fair few "specials" as well. He went and got himself to be a fully qualified mechanic then went and joined the Met Police as a vehicle inspector, after a few years (& getting quite high in their) he left and did a few years as a Auto Electric's, then moved from their to the AA as a patrol man, yet again, after a few years he left their and went to Vulcan to learn about heads and engines. After all this he wanted something else to do. One weekend he decieded that it would be a good idea to have a mid-mounted Mini, but what style to go for? He had a look around and thought the beach buggy look good but too common, Ron had brought his book out and a few things clicked. So he went about makeing a "beach buggy LSIS" car but useing his favourite car, the Mini :grin:

Attached Files

#2 smudgersmb

smudgersmb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:51 PM

Thats Chris leaning on my Mozzie with Paul's Light Blue Mozzie next to him. Mine has changed a bit since then, well the colour and the wheels have any way.

Donor Vehicle: Mini Throughout.
Chassis Type: 42mm diameter, 3mm wall thickness, cold drawn seamless steel tubing formed to make a VERY strong spaceframe chassis with integral roll-over cage.
Engine: Anything Mini, from 850 to Turbo (mines a 1275GT at mo)
Front Suspension Standard Mini Front Subframe, Hubs and suspension arms with Spax coil overs
Rear Suspension: Standard Mini Front Subframe, Hubs and suspension arms with Spax coil overs.

And things like the steering and brakes are just taken from the Mini, but with the back brakes being front drums modded for the handbrake.

My Mozzie (known as the Green One) is the only one with doors, gull wing doors no less :tongue:.

Since buying it I have taken the doors off, removed the plastic and sent that to Plastics4Performance to cut out new ones, sanded the door frames down to bare metal and painted them. The nose cone, front archs and rear archs all came off to be rubbed down and painted off car as well. Whilst that was going on I bought some Hella lights from SVC and some lamp pods off another company. To fit the lights into the lamp pods the pods needed a bit of cutting to shape.

When the body was painted in July (yet to rub it down :grin: ) i fitted the front and rear arches with stainless steel allen headed bolts. I looked at the headlights and changed them to 7" lights from SVC so I could see where I was going.

Since then I have bought some DTMs which I bought some Yokohama A048r tyres for.

So what now?

Well the front/rear brakes need sorting, the suspension is over 10 years old so need new dampers and coil's, some HD Adjustable Tie Bars have been bought from MiniSpares, a 1380 has been ordered from Morspeed and a digi dash bought.

Things to get are new calipers, discs, seats and a full loom as well.

Yet another VISA card car :grin:

Smudger

#3 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:02 PM

Cool, more pics please!

I take it they are not road legal.

#4 smudgersmb

smudgersmb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:07 PM

Yeah, mine is fully MOT'd and taxed. Even has a windscreen and wiper as well :saywhat: Due to its age I don't need the fog or reverse, but they are going on due to safety reasons.

The 9 others are a mix between off road, trackday and road cars. Mine is the only one used EVERY day going to and from work.

Rear lights:

Attached Files

#5 smudgersmb

smudgersmb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:19 PM

The colours are: Main Body: Kawaski ZX9R 2004 Green, the Orange is just Plain Honda Orange 2004.

I am sorting out some Carbon Fibre Cycle wings for the front, takeing a mould off the nose cone to do in CF and might even do the rear arches as well in CF, then theirs the engine cover to do, the roof skin to get right and various other little niggles to do.

The car is being used as my main car so the suspension is not being set up for track but for fast road and "fun" down the A Roads.

As I said above the engine on order is a Morspeed 1380 Trackday with 3.9FD.

When that is fitted then its time for the suspension set up, this will involve getting him on scales and sorting out the castor/camber as well.

All cost's thou, so buy more bits :grin:

Smudger

Attached Files

#6 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:36 AM

looks good and there the same back lights as on my project mini :P

#7 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:27 AM

lush

#8 Miniman

Miniman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:30 AM

Nice :P

#9 smudgersmb

smudgersmb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:47 PM

Well the VISA has taken a battering this month :sad: But on the brite side I've got new wheels, HD Adj Tie Bars and a digi dash.

Here are some pics of the wheels:

Attached Files

• Attached File  CXR.JPG   229.08K   11 downloads

#10 MiniMoi

MiniMoi

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

That looks like a lot of fun to me. Do they handle as well as I think they will do?

MiniMoi

#11 smudgersmb

smudgersmb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:33 PM

Played with a Motorbike on a round-a-bout. Came in behind him, down to 2nd at 6,500rpm, under took him, exit just in front. Lucky I know the fella, he's a local auto sparks and he met me in the local shop later on the day and just shook his head and laughed.

This could be a reason why engine is knacked :grin:

But I am setting mine up for fast road (0-60) and fast A - B Roads with NO Motorway work at all.

Its a compromise between track setting and comfy road settings. But it can be fun in the rain with Yokohama A048r tyres when cold.

Sticks like glue in the warm thou. We will be at the Stoneleigh Kit Car Show in May if your local.

Smudger

#12 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:42 PM

Hi ya mate, Ive nearly finished my second project and will start on my third once finished. Thing is its gunna have an engine in the back. How did u manage to over come the problem with the gear selector? Im torn between putting in a single daihatu engine or two A seires motors(1 in the front & 1 in the back). Any help will be much appreciated :cheese:

#13 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:58 PM

"We will be at the Stoneleigh Kit Car Show in May if your local."

i'll pop over and say hello, i'll be there in my jem on the mini marcos stand, its the scruffy yellow one with m.b. wheels, probably on the sunday.

#14 smudgersmb

smudgersmb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:36 PM

Well fitted the wheels today :grin: , now its just got to be trailed to Morspeed for Simon to build/fit a 1380 Trackday engine/box with 3.9FD.

Whilst at Stoneleigh I bought a loom (waiting for that to turn up), some rocker switches, two small number plate lamp thingy's, large amount of stainless steel cap head bolts with nuts and had a chat with a man who makes "cans" out of stainless steel and/or titanium. Oh, also got a LED Fog light as well :grin:

So now its a chat with Maniflow about the LCB and link pipe to the back box.

Hmmmmm, not going to be cheap I think :erm:

Attached Files

• Attached File  Moz.JPG   229.25K   9 downloads

#15 smudgersmb

smudgersmb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:19 PM

Pic of the EVO Dash waiting to be conected to the loom and fitted to dash. Cant wait :lol:

Attached Files

• Attached File  EVO.JPG   225.14K   11 downloads

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users