9 replies to this topic

#1 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:39 PM

Now, as titles of Nanotubes are a mouthfull to say, they are cut down to acronyms, so you have carbon nanotubes (CNTs), single-walled nanotubes (SWNTs), or even multi-walled nanotubes (MWNTs). Then some bright spark develops copper nanotubes.

Now, then, copper is Cu on the periodic table...........uhm..........what to call it..........

Yeah - you got it:

http://www.rsc.org/P...sp?doi=b614147a

OOOH DEAR........ :shifty:

Something that will have Students grinning for years to come, I think. >_<

SS

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:57 PM

and now say it again for the rest of us :shifty:

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,633 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:04 PM

and now say it again for the rest of us :shifty:

'n what do you call your nanotube Bungle?

Sorry, I'm not really picking on you Bung - you just happened to be in the right place at the wrong time >_<

#4 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:05 PM

nice find, SS :shifty: >_<

#5 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:07 PM

Meh..those stupid BinWs :withstupid:

#6 minimarco

minimarco

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:07 PM

now i have a new word to shout at people.

watch where you're going ya copper nanotubes!

#7 haz

haz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:04 PM

nano technology has been around for years, not read your link but it probably says something about IBM writing IBM in atoms... 10 atoms tall if i remember correctly... this was like early 90s i think

what amazes me about it is the factories that build factories that build factories..i could go on... so tiny you cant comprehend

but yea, nano technology... its going to change the world, people can talk about this being the information age but i reckon in 15, 20 years, people will talk of this being the nano age, the biggest advancement of technology since the industrial revolution. In short, it gives us the ability to arrange atoms & electrons as we please, meaning we can create 'lean' materials, such as this copper which is engineered to give the highest possible electrical conductance.

iv touched on nanocomposites in work and its exciting stuff, we're talking a tenth of the weight and still just as strong... which in aircraft terms is better than sex. :)

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,633 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:15 PM

nano technology has been around for years, not read your link but it probably says something about IBM writing IBM in atoms... 10 atoms tall if i remember correctly... this was like early 90s i think

what amazes me about it is the factories that build factories that build factories..i could go on... so tiny you cant comprehend

but yea, nano technology... its going to change the world, people can talk about this being the information age but i reckon in 15, 20 years, people will talk of this being the nano age, the biggest advancement of technology since the industrial revolution. In short, it gives us the ability to arrange atoms & electrons as we please, meaning we can create 'lean' materials, such as this copper which is engineered to give the highest possible electrical conductance.

iv touched on nanocomposites in work and its exciting stuff, we're talking a tenth of the weight and still just as strong... which in aircraft terms is better than sex. :xxx:

Corrr :), a Mini you can pick up with one hand!

#9 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

Urrrm...No - it just spells out a rude word (Cu NanoTube) when abbreviated. :xxx:

Bismoth nanotubes would be BiNTs ! :)

The IBM atom writing thing was done by IBM Zurich using a scanning tunneling microscope, and super cooled Xenon gas atoms on a nickel substrate, in about 1989 I belive.

Odd but true fact - the STM (scanning tunneling microscope) is actually a REALLY simple bit of kit - and you can build a working one at home, with junk parts and a sharp sewing needle. :thumbsup: Helps if you have an Ocilioscope to view the output, but you can modify an old CRT TV and drive the deflection coils directly.

SS

#10 lastmanshooting

lastmanshooting

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

Urrrm...No - it just spells out a rude word (Cu NanoTube) when abbreviated. :xxx:

Bismoth nanotubes would be BiNTs ! :)

The IBM atom writing thing was done by IBM Zurich using a scanning tunneling microscope, and super cooled Xenon gas atoms on a nickel substrate, in about 1989 I belive.

Odd but true fact - the STM (scanning tunneling microscope) is actually a REALLY simple bit of kit - and you can build a working one at home, with junk parts and a sharp sewing needle. :thumbsup: Helps if you have an Ocilioscope to view the output, but you can modify an old CRT TV and drive the deflection coils directly.

SS

lol just going to change me pants you would of thought they would have done something about that

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users