#1 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

so someone requested to see pictures after noticing my singlecab in the backround of one of my mini project pictures... so here goes....

This is a 1971 Volkswagen "Singlecab" pickup truck.... the box sides and tailgate all fold down flat to the body to make it a flat deck... the box itself measures 9 feet in length and 5 and a 1/4 feet in width... the truck as rated by new from volkswagen... get this is considered a 1 TON!!! :D

this particular truck was as far as i can find out a alberta vehicle all its life, the guy i got it from (a blacksmith) has had it for 16 years... the first 5 years he drove it daily and used it like you would any truck... routinely servicing it and hauling large loads and just generally beating it up.... he then proceeded to park it behind his shop and left it for 11 years... (driven into it's parking spot might i add...) then i roll along NOT looking for another vehicle but we get to talking and one thing leads to another he tells me that if he finds a good home for the singlecab he'd give it away (sorta hinting that i'm a good home...) so i snap and pick it up from him... only thing i had to do to get this truck was pull the motor for him and give it back (1600 dual port) cause he wants it in his 61 beetle so i towe the truck home.... spend an hour fiddling with the carb... put some fuel in it and a battery and it starts up... it runs and drives great... brakes are great, steering is tight, suspension is good..... so after that little bit of fun i pulled hs motor and took it back to him.... so as of now it's sat in my driveway awaiting some attention which it will get when i'm done my1979 mini project....

anyways i just plan to drive it rusty like it is so just build a new motor and put it on the road... do work on it while i drive it.... we'll see how that goes!

enjoi!
Al
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

more VW buses

#3 commander

commander

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:47 PM

nice really nice,
i love the old vdubs but sadly at the moment my budget wont allow me to get one quite yet,
looks to be a good ratty ride though :gimme:

fancy just passing it on to me...........
nope? didnt think so :D

#4 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:24 AM

i used to love the old v-dubs.. then i got a 68 beetle that i drove for a half a year or so..hated it!.... then i swore off volkswagen and said never again... but secretly I still always wanted a van... never really even considered the singlecabs though as they are so rare, so i figured i wouldn't even dream about them.... then this one fell into my lap... i think it's a gift from God! i am 95% sure i can get my mini to fit on the back of it too..... will make a sweet tow vehicle!

Al

#5 frankiebateman

frankiebateman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Local Club: NWMC

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:34 AM

Cooiirrr i want one :D

#6 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:16 PM

well there seems to be some interest in this so when i start working on it I will keep the updates up to date on this... probally wont be starting for a month or two though.... and first thing will be an engine rebuild so pics won't be that interesting....but anyways... whilst you siton the edges of your seats in anticipation waiting for updates on this project you should keep yourself occupied by watching my project thread on my 1979 Mini....

Al

#7 CanadianMiniFan

CanadianMiniFan

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:05 PM

looks awesome al.

#8 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:15 PM

Dunno what it is about veedubs but I always have to look and admire. Borrowed one in the 70s to cruise 'n' camp in the UK. The comfort! The view so high up! So easy to drive ... reverse even!

Then borrowed a right beast to do the same thing in New Zealand a few years ago .... it was awful! If you took your foot off the gas it stalled and so no brakes ... in Lord of the Rings country :D But it was still great for camping.

Good luck with your projects, Al

#9 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:03 PM

mines in the any other projects section so theres room for yours

#10 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:03 PM

badass i would love to have one, do it ratlook styleee and have her scrapping up the tarmac lol

#11 Timtom

Timtom

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:09 PM

Looks good!.. The blacksmith here owns.. a C reg mini city and a morris minor!

#12 dandaz

dandaz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:10 PM

I am in love again.... :wub:

I thought I had the only ratty truck....

I did my resto in a week ,replacing front beam ,all jacking points,both inner sills [kept the ratty outers],new brake system,dropping engine [top end rebuild] and welding tons of other stuff.......

Well I started monday and finished friday lunch...... ;D

Good luck with yours... :wub:

#13 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:19 PM

thats awesoem dandaz.. got any pics of the old beast? i have yet to start onmine as i've been finishing upo my 79 mini and starting the strip down on our 64 sunbeam alpine.... but the volkswagen will get its attention soon enough....

Al

#14 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:46 PM

on dandaz's any other projects topic :)

#15 dandaz

dandaz