#526 apjmini

apjmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

I agree and also please start your own thread it makes it easier to follow peoples builds and I am getting a lot more interest in the Nissan build.

#527 minidude1000

minidude1000

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

Hi Guys.
Still working away on my conversion. Will start my own thread soon. I don't know if its just me but I hate the way LIFE keeps stealing time that I could be spending on the Mini. :D

Ain't that the truth! But the little time we do get, its so much more rewarding, busted knuckles and all!
Just never give up! :lol:

#528 drummerian

drummerian

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

Hey guys,

I am currently getting stuck in with my nissan micra engine conversion and am starting to get to the point where i need to think about exhuast and driveshafts.

I need a good machine shop near Frimley where i can get my driveshafts properly welded and an exhuast bent to fit the car.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

ian

#529 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

Hey guys,

Am currently having a problem with the engine alignment in the subframe. I have managed to get the engine into the car and see how it fits up against the subframe but am having an issue getting the driveshaft into the middle of the 'exit hole' (on the std mini subby) due to the diff getting too close/hitting the steering rack.

The diff output is centralised in the up and down plane....but perhaps 15mm off in the front back plane (due to it hitting the rack)

HOW close do the shafts have to be from centre exit?

Whats more, with the shaft not completely central the pot joint will chafe on the mini subframes 'exit hole'.
There are 2 solutions i can see for this problem...
1. cut the 'exit hole' out and re strengthen in other areas to allow for the passenger side pot joint
2. cut out the driver side inner arch and push the engine over slightly in order to give more clearance for the pot joint on the passenger side

Has anyone else had these problems and what would you guys reccomend?

p.s. i have the 1.3L engine with the 1.3 box

#530 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

p.s. i have the 1.3L engine with the 1.3 box

that right there is going to be ur problem. with the larger box, you are going to have to accept a small degree of angular displacement when it comes to shafts especially on the left side. this is surely not a problem with the smaller box and they exit squarely due to the smaller diff. In my builds the diff housing typically ends up maybe 12mm away from the steering rack. as with all the other builds (toyota, vaux, honda etc) it is highly unlikely that your pots are going be centralised in the original holes. don't dispair......

PS congrats on finally taking the plunge drummerian, keep pushing and you will succeed!

#531 jimbob69

jimbob69

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

Yeah same prob with mine ie large box. i chopped the subby away upto the welded on piece that has a flat on it to stop the bottom pin rotating and welded up the joint(hope that makes sense!) and im 10mm clear of the rack. my shaft will point backwards somewhat but there is no way round it with the larger box and worth the extra effort methinks. Is there only me and Ian having a go with the large box?

#532 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

fantastic! i was terribly worried today when i found the problem!

Shall make sure i am a little more clear of the rack than i am (have wedged a screwdriver in there atm so that give around 5mm of clearance)

Glad it wasn't a silly question, i spent all day trying to work out what was wrong!

Hopefully some progress with some pictures tomorow, hoping to have the engine painted up in the car by wednesday realistically....then driveshafts....exhaust....alternator....lots of littler jobs really!

keep the thread alive guys!

#533 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

Drummerian are you stil using the mini rad in it's original place? And would it make a difference if it wasn't there? Just asking as I'd like to keep my frot mounted MPI rad when I do the conversion.

Also you shouod make a thread!

#534 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

hey evanisgreat

i will be trying to mount the mini radiator in the normal place yes...with regards to the front mounted im not so sure. Because the exhaust is going to be coming out the front im not to sure there will be room, feel free to proove me wrong though!

Thread coming soon :P

#535 harespeed

harespeed

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

Sorry Guys tried to post some Pict's but no joy. Don't know if its me or the site.
Jim.
PS will try again later.

Edited by harespeed, 15 June 2010 - 11:53 AM.

#536 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

Sorry Guys tried to post some Pict's but no joy. Don't know if its me or the site.
Jim.
PS will try again later.

Use an external site to host your pictures, such as www.photobucket.com

Then copy the code that starts with [IMG] into the text here.

Your pictures will then appear.

Great thread guys, I think that each of you should have project threads though.

#537 apjmini

apjmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:00 AM

Ian,

Glad you are now able to get going on your project, I have read your comments on this thread over the past year, so pleased to see you are now joining the Nissan Conversion Club.

How are you planning to install the brake cylinder and alternator, I have seen Bigchiefs installations but as I now have a flipfront I intended to install the Micra radiator at the front of the car and keep the alternator in it's orignal location.

I have just bought a non-servo'ed master cylinder to replace the existing servo'ed system as I hope a direct replacement. This of course reduces the need to relocate the master cylinder and fabricate a lnkage as BigChief has shown, as the non servoed system doesn't take up the space a servo'ed one does.

I know it requires more pedal pushing from me (one third I believe) but I thought it made sense in this case.

by the way I have a copy of the Ultimate Mini DVD concerning the vTEC conversion carried out by Watsons and this is very informative when it comes to dealing with general issues after you get the subframe in. I have learnet a lot and I know it is a vTEC conversion but it is useful anyway.

#538 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

http://www.theminifo...p;#entry1861003

hey guys,

here is my just started build thread.

ian

#539 harespeed

harespeed

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

In response to PM
Hi Mr Sporty
Yes things are progressing, but slowly. I haven't posted the progress as a thread because at the moment I still have a few things to do before its running. I would not like to advise people to go down this road in case I hit a problem. I must say though I think it might be a good way to overcome some of the problems we are all having. Anyway the dizzy is of a 1993 mini and the conversion was not difficult at all. The fueling is actually Carburetors not throttle bodies (no fuel injection) they actually work very like a SU. Hear are some Pict's hope they make my waffling a little clearer.
Thanks Jim.
http://s789.photobuc...180/harejspeed/

PS Thanks Mini Mad 69 it worked :D

Edited by harespeed, 21 June 2010 - 07:22 PM.

#540 MrSporty

MrSporty

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

Kewl beans harespeed :thumbsup:

I didn't realise they were carbs, no wonder i couldn't figure out where the injector rail was :D .

Looks like you put some cheeky lathe work in turning a collar for that dizzy, maybe a megajolt would be another option to try further down the line ?

Best of all , no bulkhead chopping. :P

Edited by MrSporty, 21 June 2010 - 08:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users