#481 apjmini

apjmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:12 AM

My interest in this thread when I found it was a repacement engine that was cheap to buy and cheap to run and also was of a modern design.

I am not sure how many have managed to complete the conversion because reading back through the thread there is a lot of interest but not too many completed projects or perhaps I have read it wrong.

I agree with harespeed flying bananas conversion looks from the posts very professional and one I aspire to and yes I did read all the suggestions that cutting the bulkhead may lead to future MOT or issues with the DVLA.

I pick my exhaust up tomorrow and I am still looking for suitable engine. I have been quoted by a salvage yard £300 delivered for a complete CG10 engine with all ancillaries plus driveshafts and an ecu plus loom which has been unpicked from the main car loom which they tell me takes some time.

Does that sound a good price for an engine in good condition with a guaranteed 57K on the clock, anyone.

by the way deliver is £60 of that cost.

#482 harespeed

harespeed

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:13 AM

My interest in this thread when I found it was a repacement engine that was cheap to buy and cheap to run and also was of a modern design.

I am not sure how many have managed to complete the conversion because reading back through the thread there is a lot of interest but not too many completed projects or perhaps I have read it wrong.

I agree with harespeed flying bananas conversion looks from the posts very professional and one I aspire to and yes I did read all the suggestions that cutting the bulkhead may lead to future MOT or issues with the DVLA.

I pick my exhaust up tomorrow and I am still looking for suitable engine. I have been quoted by a salvage yard £300 delivered for a complete CG10 engine with all ancillaries plus driveshafts and an ecu plus loom which has been unpicked from the main car loom which they tell me takes some time.

Does that sound a good price for an engine in good condition with a guaranteed 57K on the clock, anyone.

by the way deliver is £60 of that cost.

Don't know how close this is to you but the one in Scotland is where I got everything. Jim.
www.u-pull-it.co.uk

Edited by harespeed, 29 April 2010 - 10:15 AM.

#483 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

The best bet by far is to buy a whole car, the last thing you want is a salvage man taking anything apart.

#484 jimbob69

jimbob69

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:57 AM

My CG13 with similar mileage was £165 complete with alt, starter shafts, fan, full loom, ecu ect etc. I removed all parts myself and labled the loom as i unplugged things so i would find a breakers who will let you do that. There so lightweight 2 people can lift them into the back of a normal hatchback so save some delivery and labour costs

#485 apjmini

apjmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:05 PM

Thanks Jimbob and Plastic, I agree it makes sense to buy a car complete but I have no where to carry out the work and I already have two Pumas, a Astra and 10 foot caravan on the drive and the mini in the garage, her in doors won't put up with anymore.

Sounds like my £240 plus delivery might be on the high side - good old ebay for you.

You are of course right it is best to take it out yourself, just don't have a lot of time at the moment so I suppose I am paying for the cost of removal I keep looking though as the private sales of engines are always cheaper it is just the pick-up thats an issue.

I live by the way in Telford so I am afraid Scotland is too far I need something in Midlands having said that I have been to Liverpool to pick-up a rollcage recently and all over the place for bits and bobs over the years.

I find now though that with petrol £5 a gallon it's cheaper to pay for delivery.

#486 benbob

benbob

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

When I bought my donor car I got it from a salvage auction near Sandy. It was a catorgory c write off with slight damage to the front, but as I had no intention to return it back to the road it was ideal for me. I think after all the fees it worked out at about £100.

It might be worth checking the savage auctions on the internet while you are making space on the drive apjmini

#487 apjmini

apjmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

So after you have stripped the car of what you need what do you do with it, I assume it has to be trailered to a scrap yard ?

#488 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,132 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:53 PM

So after you have stripped the car of what you need what do you do with it, I assume it has to be trailered to a scrap yard ?

*****note thread hijack******

If you need anything collecting or delivering drop me a PM, I have a car trailer and am very reasonably priced, can also remove the remains for you as well

****Thread Hijack complete*****

#489 harespeed

harespeed

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:53 PM

if going carbs i think it may be best to bin the efi system completely by adding an electronic dizzy and external coil.
this may be easily adapted from the GA15DS (i think u guys have the GA14DS) by turning it on a lathe, dont forget to add the o-ring groove.
i myself have used one from an E15 by shortening and re-keying it.
i say this because if you leave the EFI dizzy on you will not get ignition advance as the ECU uses AFM, TPS and RPM to calculate it.
conversely if keeping the ecu,injectors etc, it may be possible to get it remapped and utilise a MAP sensor and air temp sensor (as used on the toyota 4age 20v) to calculate engine load and generate a complete map.

Thanks bigchief.
Think your right. I have been over complicating things. I have a late Mini electronic distributor that I think I can convert on my lathe.
Thanks Jim.

#490 apjmini

apjmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

Thanks Sean,

I will bear that in mind, my interest was in not so much how I got the car or the remainder of the car to the scappies (although your offer is now in my mind for the future) it is whether they would take the car and how much they would pay me for it ?

Thanks Andrew

#491 stonie110

stonie110

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:52 PM

just been reading all these pages and i have decided to start looking for a 1.3 micra. my only question is what fuel tank do you use and what fuel pump etc. hopefully i will find a donor car soon, but i am not in a rush, still got some welding to do on my shell yet.
Also as my old engine was a carb model. Do I need to run two fuel lines instead of one ?

Edited by stonie110, 03 May 2010 - 11:22 PM.

#492 ssuperflyoldguy

ssuperflyoldguy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:51 AM

Still hoping BigChief tells us about his disk brake conversion - should be great as his other stuff

Edited by ssuperflyoldguy, 10 May 2010 - 05:52 AM.

#493 apjmini

apjmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:13 AM

This weekend managed to pick up a low mileage P reg Micra 1 L engine in very good condition and recently serviced from a scrap yeard in Rochdale for £99. Adding the ecu, starter motor, dizzy, micra radiator (very slim with electric fan attached), driveshafts (cut already unfortunatley) and gearbox for £200 in total.

After returning from Himley Hall I have started to dismantle the engine for clean-up and painting.

All is not perfect though the engine came with only part of the loom needed and I have had to buy an ecu loom from ebay so it looks like a trip or two to scrappies to get the rest of the parts needed.

I am hoping to use a recond mini alternator and intend to stick to the standard inlet manifold but i am having an exhaust manifold made.

My subframe arrives tomorrow for the job of cutting her up.

After seeing a mini traveller yesterday with a two piece flip front I am seriously considering this option to make access to the engine much easier and to give me an easier install into the engine bay when the time comes.

Has anyone managed to come up with a suggestion for connecting the gear linkage or do you install the micra one in the mini. I will check back through the thread in case I missed this.

#494 apjmini

apjmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

Should have said also bought a MPI fuel tank and I will run two cooper fuel lines with the brake line inside the car as i complete the interior build.

Oh so many jobs and not enough weekends.

#495 apjmini

apjmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:30 AM

Should have said also bought a MPI fuel tank and I will run two cooper fuel lines with the brake line inside the car as i complete the interior build.

Oh so many jobs and not enough weekends.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users