701 replies to this topic

#451 harespeed

harespeed

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

Sorry benbob I am obsessed with Inlet Manifolds at the moment . But yes certainly looks like a good starting point. What kind of price do they fetch ?

Edited by harespeed, 06 April 2010 - 12:46 PM.

#452 benbob

benbob

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:07 AM

Sorry benbob I am obsessed with Inlet Manifolds at the moment . But yes certainly looks like a good starting point. What kind of price do they fetch ?

I have had a quick look on ebay and they seem to fetch anywhere upwards of £20, The next autojumble near me is in May so this time I will have to take some measurments and try and find a suitable match. Then just buy soms straight pipe of the same diameter and weld this into the bike exhaust so it goes round the engine.

I know this isn't as good a bargin as your £3 exhaust harespeed

#453 harespeed

harespeed

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

I have had a quick look on ebay and they seem to fetch anywhere upwards of £20, The next autojumble near me is in May so this time I will have to take some measurments and try and find a suitable match. Then just buy soms straight pipe of the same diameter and weld this into the bike exhaust so it goes round the engine.

I know this isn't as good a bargin as your £3 exhaust harespeed

HA HA Maybe not but reckon you could make a really nice manifold from one (good call )

#454 drummerian

drummerian

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hey guys,

just wondering if anyone had had a butchers at the pulley wheel on the engine. I think i can save a little space by 'cutting' off the left had (larger) pulley and be left with the smaller one, which would then be used to run the alternator also.

Just wondering if this has been done, as, when i took mine into the machine shop they were worried aobut the rubber ring inside both pulley wheels, any ideas on this?

Thanks!

Ian

#455 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:09 AM

Hey guys,

just wondering if anyone had had a butchers at the pulley wheel on the engine. I think i can save a little space by 'cutting' off the left had (larger) pulley and be left with the smaller one, which would then be used to run the alternator also.

Just wondering if this has been done, as, when i took mine into the machine shop they were worried aobut the rubber ring inside both pulley wheels, any ideas on this?

Thanks!

Ian

rubber bit? our JDM engines dont have this but i guess u can skim off the outer pulley as long as its strong enough.

*good news, i've finished another CG conversion, i will post pictures by weekend*

#456 jimbob69

jimbob69

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:14 AM

I hacked off the large pulley in a lathe, very easy as its really soft material :)

#457 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:08 AM

here are the pictures you guys................T&Ts fourth CG engined mini:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alot of work has been put in to make it as neat as possible and we were crunched for time before our annual Tobago trip:

http://www.theminifo...howtopic=155348

#458 benbob

benbob

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

I hacked off the large pulley in a lathe, very easy as its really soft material :D

I have also removed the large pully in the lathe with no problems

#459 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

does anyone know of the rubber piece i mean?

#460 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

great progress bigchief! One thing i would be interested in is the way you have mounted the alternator to the engine, as far as i can tell back there there isn't many strong threads to use?

thanks

#461 minidude1000

minidude1000

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

Hi guys! Great work! Keep it up!

#462 minidude1000

minidude1000

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:42 PM

Jus wanted to say that I've been driving a MA10 powered mini for the past 2 to 3 years done by Bigchief and the only thing I've done with the engine replace the timing belt and regular oil changes! Its an amazing little engine that really has heads turning when you pass by.
Lots of people ask me "What do you have under there bro, SR20?" They are shocked when they learn its a Bone Stock 1000 cc engine. Testimony to those who still have a little doubt about the conversion and encouragement to those with work in progress. Keep goin at it!
by the way, this is my daily drving car. I drive this car every day, seven days a week and the reliability is great!

#463 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,495 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

Rubber bonding in a pulley is likely to be vibration damping

Jus wanted to say that I've been driving a MA10 powered mini for the past 2 to 3 years done by Bigchief and the only thing I've done with the engine replace the timing belt and regular oil changes! Its an amazing little engine that really has heads turning when you pass by.
Lots of people ask me "What do you have under there bro, SR20?" They are shocked when they learn its a Bone Stock 1000 cc engine. Testimony to those who still have a little doubt about the conversion and encouragement to those with work in progress. Keep goin at it!
by the way, this is my daily drving car. I drive this car every day, seven days a week and the reliability is great!

#464 minidude1000

minidude1000

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

does anyone know of the rubber piece i mean?

Its definately to dampen out power pulses from the crankshaft.
Also, by cutting off the larger pully and using the smaller pully to drive the alternator, the effort of the engine to drive the alternator is reduced, thus giving you a slight improvement in HP.

#465 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:15 PM

Hi guys! Great work! Keep it up!

aye ro'. is you?
i see you have floated across since trinimini.com is down.
welcome to TMF. did you see the tobago video in the link above?

by the way guys, his car is the third to have this engine swap since. i think we will have to post his build in the future for some reason *wink*

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)