dazzler-pws

Previously known as ringonezero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Local Club: Minifinity

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:06 AM

Here you go Mr Big, a subframe inspired by your build

I can not show too many pictures as this build is for a customer and i am unsure if they are happy for me to share it, however here are some early subframe pictures with the UK Engine inside of the mini subframe. On the second picture you will see we fully removed the drivers side of the subframe side bar, but this was just to make it easier for us to get the engine in position, this has since been put back in. The frame is with the customer at the moment getting fitted to the car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ringonezero, 18 March 2010 - 09:06 AM.

#422 drummerian

drummerian

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

interesting...so it does fit!

what type of mounts are you using there?

more pictures would be appreciated if possible ( i relise this may be tricky due to the customer)

thanks!

#423 benbob

benbob

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

How have you constructed the rear mount? I am probably making it more complicated by constructing a bracket which uses the bolts to hold the starter on, but I think it looks better. Have you got a picture of the back of your engine?

Surly a few pictures of your construction won't upset your customer, as long it doesn't show his car.

I am taking a guess and say the mountings are mini, I am using round Ford ones.

#424 FartinMartin

FartinMartin

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

as long it doesn't show his car.

I believe the customer may not be a him....

#425 jimbob69

jimbob69

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

For info thats a different gearbox on ringonezero's build to what i have on my 94 cg13, in fact it looks the same as the box Bigchief fitted onto the Toyota lump.
What year is that from please?

#426 benbob

benbob

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

For info thats a different gearbox on ringonezero's build to what i have on my 94 cg13, in fact it looks the same as the box Bigchief fitted onto the Toyota lump.

It's also different to my gearbox from a 93 cg13, I guess I have the same one as you Jim.

#427 dazzler-pws

dazzler-pws

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hey Jim

I have no idea the Engine and box was supplied by the customer, and for info, she will be must upset you have called her a HIM!

I have had a quick chat with her tonight and she has asked me to share no more pictures as she is paying for the build and considers it not to be open source information.

Sorry Guys but i must respect my customers wishes

Fartin... I take it you know her?

#428 benbob

benbob

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

and for info, she will be must upset you have called her a HIM!

How was I suppost to know he was a she? If you start a second project can we have picures of that one?

#429 FartinMartin

FartinMartin

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

Fartin... I take it you know her?

Correct, i've seen the frame, may have to commission you to build mine too!

#430 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

X2..............that's the exact box that i fitted to the toyota. its the same internally as the 'smooth housing' k10 box. this is the box known as the 'pre '98 CG10 gearbox'
the engine sat in the frame seems about 1 - 1 1/2 inches higher than ours. are the shafts exiting the frame well?

great frame by the way :thumbsup:

#431 dazzler-pws

dazzler-pws

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

X2..............that's the exact box that i fitted to the toyota. its the same internally as the 'smooth housing' k10 box. this is the box known as the 'pre '98 CG10 gearbox'
the engine sat in the frame seems about 1 - 1 1/2 inches higher than ours. are the shafts exiting the frame well?

great frame by the way :thumbsup:

Shafts look good, it wont go any lower without the shafts hitting the bottom wishbone

Thanks Mr Big, i was shown your build and told... Make me one of those!

#432 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

hey guys, what's your opnions on the charcole canister? I have started making progress on my project now and was wondering if you recon it is worth keeping or just not worth the hassel?

thanks!

#433 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:36 AM

I'm guessing you do know what the canister is for?

I have to say I don't think many people bother trying to replicate the original fuel-tank breather system, if you do you'll need a none-vented fuel-cap for your mini tank (actually it is that long since I messed with a saloon mini I've forgotten if they already have a breather pipe as well?) and another hose running from the back of the car to the front.

#434 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

hey,

i know what the cannister is for, just wondered really waht to do without it (should i let the pipes to/from it just be open or should i block them?)

The mini MPI tank has two lines (feed and return)...on top of this it also has a breather pipe going to a small plastic bit (possibly a fume filter?), unlike the micra i assume the mpi minies did not have a fume line from the tank to the cannister up front.

Just wondering what most people do about it?

thanks!

#435 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

Just wondering what most people do about it?

I'm pretty sure most if not all throw it in the bin, I would imagine the feed back into the manifold would need to be blocked off (sorry I'm not dead familiar with the exact set-up despite having 2 Micras)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users