701 replies to this topic

#406 MrSporty

MrSporty

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

Ive been following this thread with much interest and would hate it to fizzle out due to H&S issues. Whilst i don't think any user would deliberately provide info which would endanger other people, any modification from stock always has inherent risks.

ringonezero, as drummerian asked, did you retain the subframe side when squeezing in the larger style UK gearbox or did you have to fashion an extension of sorts.

Wouldn't it also be an idea to look at possible way of modifying the inlet manifold in a similar way that the exhaust manifold mods have been done to keep them in a close profile to the block and well away from the bulkhead. Maybe trimming the inlet past the injector ports and then curving them up could give a way to install without any cutting other than the subbie. Not sure where the TB would sit in that case tho..

#407 flying banana

flying banana

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

there you go ive started it for you
look under
PROBLEMS,QUESTIONS,TECHNICAL
it is called cuttung bulkhead
now lets get back to big chiefs engine thread
sorry big chief for the ranting but may be they will go now
and leave you alone
andy

#408 jimbob69

jimbob69

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:00 PM

Glad your getting close flying looks you will beat me to it on the 1st uk micra power stakes and hope to see your car at a show soon so i can have a propper perv :)

#409 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:10 PM

sounds like a plan........good news, i have started another cg transplant utilising a tubular approach which allows for further forward-tilting of the engine. this has the effect of making bulkhead mods even smaller than my previous cuts.

this time however, i will take more detailed pictures of the manifold/bulkhead clearance.

despite some sore feelings that may have been induced lately in the thread, i hope we can move on, while at the same time acknowledging the contributions of sukidawg and others with engineering experience.
with every conversion i do, i hope to make my modifications safer and more reliable than the last.
i must to this end say that all comments are still welcome (ok andy?)
thanks to everyone who contributed to this epic thread :)

....................pictures will be up this week.

#410 dazzler-pws

dazzler-pws

Previously known as ringonezero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Local Club: Minifinity

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:15 PM

ringonezero, as drummerian asked, did you retain the subframe side when squeezing in the larger style UK gearbox

Yes this is inside of a std mini front subframe, with the same style mods as Mr Big

Bananaman: Mr Big has not cut all the way through, just mearly shaped the cross member slightly, You have a very threatening manor to your posting towards myself and others who have offered advice or pointed out your mishaps/mistakes/failures. Shape up matey!

I have been holding off on this post until the engine and box was fitted inside of a frame as per Big Chiefs build, the only difference with the build i am doing is there will be a custom inlet so there will be no mods to the bulkhead. If i can fit a 4AGE in without cutting the bulkhead then a little nissan will go no problems.

#411 MrSporty

MrSporty

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for the reply ringonezero, nice to know you managed to squeeze the stock UK lump in there :)

With your inlet are you converting over to carb or sticking with the injectors ?

Oh and cant wait for the pictures from bigchief, if they are half as infomative as the previous sets they should be great.

#412 dazzler-pws

dazzler-pws

Previously known as ringonezero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Local Club: Minifinity

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

At this moment in time the plan is to stick with the injectors, as i personally feel carbs are backward technology

#413 jimbob69

jimbob69

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

And for the record mine is also within the standard subframe sides i just decided to chop the sides off and use box section because i had some and thought it would be easier than using plate. I will also be making a custom manifold as i dont want to cut the shell at all, including inner wings(will have to pull em out a bit by hand though!)
Get some pictures up ringonezero share the wealth and all that :)

edit OOPS! just been in the garage, mine is not within the nearside/passenger side of the standard frame profile due to the gearbox

Edited by jimbob69, 14 March 2010 - 10:02 PM.

#414 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:51 PM

And for the record mine is also within the standard subframe sides i just decided to chop the sides off and use box section because i had some and thought it would be easier than using plate. I will also be making a custom manifold as i dont want to cut the shell at all, including inner wings(will have to pull em out a bit by hand though!)
Get some pictures up ringonezero share the wealth and all that :)

edit OOPS! just been in the garage, mine is not within the nearside/passenger side of the standard frame profile due to the gearbox

Then I can't wait to see ringonezero's must be a super tight squeeze.
Can't wait to see your next cg install bigchief!

#415 drummerian

drummerian

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:09 PM

hey guys,

would love to see some pictures of these subframes that house our massive uk gearbox within the walls of the std mini frame.

It would obviously save alot of work for many people if it could be done, and make this conversion even more attractive.

It is a shame this thread has taken an off route, but i am sure all the comments are useful even if they point out mistakes in other peoples work...i am sure we have all managed to 'learn from our mistakes' and hopefully (or the way i see it anyway) the forum is about people learning from others mistakes as well!

Thanks for all the advice so far guys....my build begins saturday when i get my micra and fuel tank.

Any ideas on where to get some scrap box section/plate?

thanks!

#416 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:23 AM

thanks!

Go to a metal merchant and ask for offcuts, they usualy give them do you for a couple of quid.

#417 flying banana

flying banana

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:10 PM

hey guys,

would love to see some pictures of these subframes that house our massive uk gearbox within the walls of the std mini frame.

It would obviously save alot of work for many people if it could be done, and make this conversion even more attractive.

It is a shame this thread has taken an off route, but i am sure all the comments are useful even if they point out mistakes in other peoples work...i am sure we have all managed to 'learn from our mistakes' and hopefully (or the way i see it anyway) the forum is about people learning from others mistakes as well!

Thanks for all the advice so far guys....my build begins saturday when i get my micra and fuel tank.

thanks!

hi IAN
i have got some left over from my build mate you are welcome to it
give me a ring and sort out a date and time
andy

#418 drummerian

drummerian

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

thanks mate!

any chance i can pop round on friday? would be great to see how your getting on as well!

thanks

#419 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

thanks mate!

any chance i can pop round on friday? would be great to see how your getting on as well!

thanks

Really jealous that you're starting your project. Be sure to start a thread and keep us all in the loop. What you thinking for the engine? Fairly standard, or are you gonna push it a bit?

#420 flying banana

flying banana

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

IAN friday afternoon would be best mate after 15:00 if ok with you
andy

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users