all been stripped out and painted and cleand up ready for re fit
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
more pictures soon. thats all folks!

I know the majority on here will disagree, because they read it on the internet once so they must be right - but do you realise how important the main beam across the front of the bulkhead (that the masgter cylinders mount to) is to the structural integrity of the mini shell? Its is checked on the MOT for a reason - not only does it react the front sub frame loads into the bodyshell, but also in the event of an accident its the main thing that restrains the engine from entering the passenger compartment.

Cutting all the way through it to clear an engine isn't just a bad idea for the shell strength, its pretty foolish from the point of view of your safety.

That shouldn't pass an MOT. Its dangerous. No wonder we are getting hit with more and more stringent IVA regs........

sukidawg, with all due respect, why have you chosen of all places to vent in my thread. have you not been to other websites such as:

http://www.ausmini.c...orums/index.php
http://www.16vminicl...orums/index.php

Do you realise that in 90% of conversions done in minis a rear bar is added between towers to compensate for the removal of part of the crossmember? in original form the minii's towers are connected bya dimpled rear panel that contains many holes and curves which usually become cracked and compromised.
These also reside quite low. The section that is removed from the firewall is made of sheet metal box section which gets narrow at the centre, its weakest point and crumples upon side impact.
It is my belief that the addition of the thick bar at the rear, between towers is a vast improvement over the original design.
i am hoping that this thread does not head in this direction:

http://www.theminifo...x...125736&st=0

Hear/Hear

#377 richardsoniscool

richardsoniscool

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Local Club: Bury Mini Club

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:09 PM

bigchief - what sort if mpg are you getting from a CG13? and have you attempted to run bike carbs? thsanks.

#378 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

bigchief - what sort if mpg are you getting from a CG13? and have you attempted to run bike carbs? thsanks.

i would estimate about 45 mpg or so, this is not bad considering that its on 175/50 r13 tyres and on the smaller gearbox with shorter ratios. what has shocked me the most is that in the same car, same configuration and weight (the blue mini above) the CG13 delivers much better fuel economy than the MA10!

i haven't attempted bike carbs yet but there are a few vids on youtube showing them. a few hurdles include the fact that the ECU calculates ignition advance from engine load and rpm.
the rpm signal is from the dizzy, load is taken from the MAF and TPS.
eliminating the throttle body brings in the need for either a reflash using a MAP and air temp sensor if using ITB's. if using carbs u mite be able to reflash the ECU and use a TPS signal of some sort to estimate engine load.

between alot of yapping there is some info here:

http://www.micra.org...throttle-bodies

short vid here:

Edited by bigchief3679, 06 March 2010 - 12:37 PM.

#379 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:03 PM

You can bring up the past, but really its not going to change the point I was making. I brought it up here because its where I saw the dodgy bulkhead mod.

I was not, am not, flaming anyone, but speaking as a fully fledged professional automotive engineer, with a CV to prove and reinforce my view - the structure of the car is critically weakened. I don't see any reinforcement bar here, but by all means lets see some pictures and perhaps it will alter the view!

That wouldn't pass IVA here in the UK.

#380 drummerian

drummerian

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

any ideas if this is the smaller gearbox that would fit on my 1.3 engine?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...sid=p2761.l1259

please no one else buy it though!

#381 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:15 PM

Its a big one

#382 drummerian

drummerian

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

thanks mate, not worth having then...tah!

#383 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

thanks mate, not worth having then...tah!

^^^yup, even the opening for the starter is different. the box/clutch/starter from the pulsar works as well, maybe ur options are wider after all

#384 pantera2075

pantera2075

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Local Club: GTMOC

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

Can I just say (Sorry, sticking my neck out here), i'm an automotive engineer too, and if someone hits you to the side in the region of the a-post the whole bulkhead and pedals will crumple towards your legs.

I've not seen anyone cut that amount of the beam out before either (without substantial re-strengthening), and the brace bar on the subby won't be much use, it's too low for a start.

On a lighter note though, how about welding in a 2" thin walled box or tube right across behind the dash to put the strength back?

Usually i'm pretty gung-ho about these sorts of thing as we usually over-engineer stuff in these instances - but in this case I think Sukidawg is right.

#385 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,499 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

Considering the cross member is directly above the turrets which mount the suspension on the centreline of the wheels 'n transmission I'm struggling to imagine the circumstances where you could take an impact on to the end of the beam without involving the subframe first.

#386 flying banana

flying banana

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

Considering the cross member is directly above the turrets which mount the suspension on the centreline of the wheels 'n transmission I'm struggling to imagine the circumstances where you could take an impact on to the end of the beam without involving the subframe first.

you could get an impact from a helicopter lol
if you get an impact from the side if it hits the box-section(crossmember) its going to hit the subframe
thats for sure.(i agree Ethel)
why are u talking crap for (pantera2075) lets just enjoy our builds
we are all going to die soon anyway :)

#387 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,499 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:14 AM

The merits of chopping chunks out of the bulkhead is a valid discussion, Pantera & SukiDawg have stated their opinions in an open and friendly manner so any response should be in the same spirit. I think everyone is up for us all enjoying the fruits of our car botching labours, and it's fair comment, at least for the UK, to point out that it may well depend on getting past the IVA. Even so, perhaps bulkhead butchery is worth a topic of its own instead of filling up this one. :thumbsup:

#388 flying banana

flying banana

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

has any one looked in to fitting a strut brace from the mounting bolts on the towers?

#389 FartinMartin

FartinMartin

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

Can I just say (Sorry, sticking my neck out here), i'm an automotive engineer too, and if someone hits you to the side in the region of the a-post the whole bulkhead and pedals will crumple towards your legs.

I've not seen anyone cut that amount of the beam out before either (without substantial re-strengthening), and the brace bar on the subby won't be much use, it's too low for a start.

On a lighter note though, how about welding in a 2" thin walled box or tube right across behind the dash to put the strength back?

Usually i'm pretty gung-ho about these sorts of thing as we usually over-engineer stuff in these instances - but in this case I think Sukidawg is right.

I completely agree - I am also a structural design engineer. If this was on a 'real' forum, constructive critisism would be thanked.

#390 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:18 AM

I completely agree - I am also a structural design engineer. If this was on a 'real' forum, constructive critisism would be thanked.

Let's not go forum bashing. Let's all think together and think of a solution. That's what a 'real' forum would do. We're all here for the same reason. Now there's a problem, lets continue to solve it.

(with writing skills like this I should write tv movies!)

edit: spelling

Edited by evansisgreat, 12 March 2010 - 02:20 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users