#347 harespeed

harespeed

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:09 PM

Hi Guys.
I am half way through this conversion myself and will post a thread when I have more time.
A few things that may be of intrest. After hacking a pair of Mini Driveshafs in two and about to do the same with the nissan ones I noticed that the outer end looked very like the mini end. Suprise suprise they are (well as far as I can tell) the over all diameter is the same and the number of splines also the fit in the cv is perfect. This means you dont have to touch your mini shafs, only shorten the nissan ones I will neead to shorten the nissan shafts by about two inches. Also, it means the driveshaft diameters are the same making it easer to sleeve. I have yet to cut into the bulkhead for the inlet manifold as at the moment trying to source a later manifold (see picts) in the hope it may clear the bulkhead.
PS respect to Bigchief.

Attached Files

#348 drummerian

drummerian

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:10 PM

looking good mate! What year is your engine?

#349 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:46 PM

I have yet to cut into the bulkhead for the inlet manifold as at the moment trying to source a later manifold (see picts) in the hope it may clear the bulkhead.

I don't think the inlet manifold of the later engines fits the CG engines

#350 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

I have yet to cut into the bulkhead for the inlet manifold as at the moment trying to source a later manifold (see picts) in the hope it may clear the bulkhead.

I don't think the inlet manifold of the later engines fits the CG engines

also note that flying banana has a later style cg13de inlet manifold and has had to cut alot more out of the bulk head than big chief (however, this my also be due to the gearbox)

#351 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

CGA on the left CG on the right

#352 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:11 AM

Hi Guys.
I am half way through this conversion myself and will post a thread when I have more time.
A few things that may be of intrest. After hacking a pair of Mini Driveshafs in two and about to do the same with the nissan ones I noticed that the outer end looked very like the mini end. Suprise suprise they are (well as far as I can tell) the over all diameter is the same and the number of splines also the fit in the cv is perfect. This means you dont have to touch your mini shafs, only shorten the nissan ones I will neead to shorten the nissan shafts by about two inches. Also, it means the driveshaft diameters are the same making it easer to sleeve. I have yet to cut into the bulkhead for the inlet manifold as at the moment trying to source a later manifold (see picts) in the hope it may clear the bulkhead.
PS respect to Bigchief.

hey guys what's up?
harespeed, you seem to be in posession of the newer series of micra engine (bug eye k12) which are either CR10,12 or CR14 engine series. they are quite similiar in build but rely heavily on electronics. is yours 'drive by wire'?. these are fitted to the nissan CUBE as well.
oh yea, you are correct about the driveshafts, i've been using micra shafts since last year to avoid welding issues plus i only have to carry one pair in.
slight info here: http://en.wikipedia....issan_CR_engine

Edited by bigchief3679, 28 February 2010 - 03:18 AM.

#353 harespeed

harespeed

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for the info on the inlet manifold. It will save me wasting money on a CR manifold when it wont fit. I don't want to cut into the bulkhead if I can avoid it because of the possible tightening of the rules regarding modified vehicles. If I get a spare month or so might have a go a making my own (see link).http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Complete-Inlet-Manifo-t210411.html
My engine is a low mileage cg 998. Anyway here are some more Pict's. Will update soon.

Attached Files

• Attached File  4.JPG   141.14K   59 downloads
  • Attached File  6.JPG   139.92K   43 downloads
  • Attached File  1.JPG   141.27K   59 downloads
  • Attached File  2.JPG   148.58K   47 downloads
  • Attached File  3.JPG   144.88K   51 downloads
  • Attached File  7.JPG   153.73K   35 downloads
  • Attached File  5.JPG   144.23K   51 downloads

Edited by harespeed, 01 March 2010 - 08:20 PM.

#354 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:26 AM

An off the shelf modded inlet manifold would solve the bulkhead problems.

Your engine looks very low in those pictures, I wonder how yours compares to Flying Banana's

#355 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

An off the shelf modded inlet manifold would solve the bulkhead problems.

Your engine looks very low in those pictures, I wonder how yours compares to Flying Banana's

which off the shelf manifold had you got in mind?

I would imagine our engine heights will all be the same in order to get the drive shafts leaving squarly...has anyone considered tilting the engine over slightly to get soem more bulkhead room that way?

#356 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

which off the shelf manifold had you got in mind?

It's just wishful thinking Ian, I wish such a thing existed, of course it would be pretty easy to have one made or even make your own, but it all adds to the expense and complication.

#357 harespeed

harespeed

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

I think the Pict's are a bit deceptive as not quite low as it appears. Having said that there is so little room to spare and yes the drive shafts are the deciding factor. Trying to get them far enough back an low enough is a challenge. I will post some pictures of just how tight it is I suppose compromise is the name of the game. A good point that tilting the engine forward would help but if you have the right angle on the drive shaft IE coming straight out to the hubs then tilt it forward the diff housing hits the rack. IF any of you are thinking of starting this you should conceder using an old style steel mini sump guard to support the bottom of the subframe. It means you don't need tubing on the bottom of the subframe and helps with ground clearance. Weld it on of course. Hope some of this makes some sense. I had a 30mm tube running under the sump to start with( It looked ridiculous and had to replace it with 5mm plate.

Attached Files

#358 flying banana

flying banana

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

looking good harespeed, the gear box is the problem but i think the extra
time will be worth it in the end, due to having a good strong box keep it up mate
im just sorting out fuel tank then electrics then not much more to do i can see the
light at the end of the tunnel.
andy

#359 drummerian

drummerian

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

loving the work guys! I am sure the better box is a worthy upgrade and worth putting the extra graft in! ^_^

#360 FartinMartin

FartinMartin

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

loving the work guys! I am sure the better box is a worthy upgrade and worth putting the extra graft in! <_<

is the smaller gearbox weak then? i'm sure bigchief is running the small box with a turbo?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users