#1 CR#

CR#

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

Hi there

I'm going ahead and painting my mini myself. With help from the guy at the paint place I've already brought the paint, primers etc. doing the car in 2k(still sold over the counter in South Africa). I have a few questions to ask after reading a few painting guides.
Is it really necessary to use a metal conditioner between the metal(doing a bare metal respray) and etch primer, and if so, do you use filler over the metal conditioner? Also do I really need to use a sealer paint between the primer layers and top coats of colour? I was only given 1L of reducer for the 2 1/2L of 2k colour, 1L of Ms primer, and etch (which was told all get mixed 2:1 with activator which will thin it, except for the etch which is mixed 1:1 with separate activator). How much do I then still need to thin this for the first few coats of colour? And also, how much does one thin out MS primer as it is rather thick? I was told to mix the MS(High build primer) 2:1 with 2k activator, but on the tin it has a ratio of 4:1 labelled(with I assume is four parts paint to one part activator?).
I'm assuming that for all 2k products that I cant use thinners to thin out the products, but need a reducer?

Sorry for so many q's, any help would be appreciated. The instructions on the tins are very vague, that's if there are any at all.

thnks Greg.

Edited by CR#, 16 July 2007 - 09:34 PM.

#2 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

Jeeze thats alot of questions. I'll try and answer them as best I can!

I'm not sure what you mean by metal conditioner, all I and everyone else in the trade does in the UK, is just to etch prime the bare metal, making sure it's all clean of any surface rust. You can then fill straight ontop of the etch primer if required, but it is best to fill the area straight into bare metal and then etch prime over it. The chemicals in filler can melt the etch primer, making the filler flake off after time.

There is no point at all in using a sealer coat inbetween coats of primer or top coats.

The ratio's for the products you have should be: 2k topcoat (I'm assuming it's a solid, not lacquer over base) should be 2 parts paint to 1 part hardener, and roughly 10% thinners to make it lie nicely. The MS primer should be 5 parts primer to 1 part hardener, and about 15/25% thinners depending on the consistency required. It is best to thin out the last coat a little more, so it lies flat and smooths off the previous coats. This makes sanding alot easier and you get a better final finish.

I would forget the reducer alltogether, use the ratios above and you'll get a factory finish if everything is done right.

Pete

#3 CR#

CR#

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

haha, thanks pete, thats exactly what I wanted to know, will get a few pics of car up once painted.... when it eventually does

apreciate the valuable help you giving us all on TMF!

Regards Greg

#4 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

No worries mate!

Pete

1 user(s) are reading this topic