7 replies to this topic

#1 mini_kev

mini_kev

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

Hi all, have finally started the work on my clubman! The engine is out and tonight hopefully il be putting the uspension back together to tow it home then I can start on the bodywork.

The first job im going to be replacing the floorpans at the front then the outer sills and repairing the boot floor. Once all that welding i done (i know it is a lot) then I want to paint the whole underside of the mini to get it looking good and most importantly to stop it rusting again!!

Ok here goes the 1st question:
I have done a search and thin k this seems to be the best approach for painting the bottom:
First using POR-15 rust preventative paint, an etch primer, primer, then stoneguard, then finally a top coat of russet brown over the stoneguard.
Will this give a good strong finish? also i was thinking of using black POR-15 but if the top coat is brown would it be better to use a different base colour rather than black??

2nd Question:
To do the painting I was thinking of rolling the car on its side to make it a lot easier. Has anyone done this and if so, how did you do it? What did you use and how bad for the car could it be?

Thanks all
kev

#2 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:46 PM

1. That all sounds about right, aprt from the etch primer. It is pointless using etch primer on top of any other primer/paint, as it is an acid adhesion promoter, only meant to be used directly onto bare metal to make any further layers stick better and to prevent rust. Black is a fine base colour for brown.

2. You can put the car on it's side to paint the underneath, I did this to my mini, tipped it up onto a few old tyres. But be very carefull that they aren't under any large panels as you could seriously dent the side! I think I leant mine on the A and D pillar and the sill. If it's an older car, there will be a hole in the dash and rear bulkhead, this was to allow shells to be rotated on a spit which is handy if you have one!

Pete

#3 mini_kev

mini_kev

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

cheers for the reply mate, so i can just use the primer straight on to the POR-15?

#4 macfoot

macfoot

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:28 AM

this is how i done my mini as you can see
1x clean all the old under sill off ,clean up any rust and put Rust Inhibitor on i used etch primer too on that
2x etch primer directly onto any bare metal and then used stoneguard, then finally a top coat
Posted Image
Posted Image

this was done about three years ago and still looking good, any help

#5 mini_kev

mini_kev

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

yer cheers dude, that finish is along the lines of what I want.

#6 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:47 PM

Yeah primer would be fine ontop of the POR15, although primer may not be neccesary at all. The POR15 may act as a primer in itself as well as a rust inhibitor, I've never used the stuff I'm just guessing. Although if you do decide to prime it, if it's shiny when dry, abrade it before applying the primer.

Pete

#7 mini_kev

mini_kev

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:57 AM

ok cheers mate, am going to order some of the paint this week then get cracking over the weekend with it.

#8 macfoot

macfoot

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:11 AM

you still need to use a primer first before POR15, i never used por15 on the under side of mine not at £23 a tin :angry:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users