#1 james the clubman man

james the clubman man

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

i went to view a mini about a week or so ago but i was put off by some bubbling in the corners underneth the windscreen in both corners and also in the centre, i know this is common for mini's but this particular mini supposidly had a re-spray 18 months ago! it was also cracking between the scuttle and the wings!

my question is, what could i do to repare it, would it just be a case of rubbing it all down and giving the front end a new coat of paint???

Should i be worring about it or not!!!

#2 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

Hmm I'd be worried if it's rusting that soon after a respray, could mean there are all kinds of other hidden bits... if it's cracking inbetween the wings and the scuttle, they have probably sealed the gap with filler instead of the correct seam sealer. Just get it hacked out and replace it with sealer.

#3 NovaNath

NovaNath

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

Similar simptons on my 30 have revealed the need for a new scuttle pannel, and assorted other repairs.
If you don't want indepth work to do, i'd steer clear.

Nathan

#4 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:57 AM

resprayed ....... but over what, that is the $64,000,000 question!

#5 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:06 AM

To be fair to whoever did the respray...... We took Toad back to bare metal, it had ZERO rust, all new panels where needed, a whole new front end, etc etc. Then she got primered and an extremely generous coating (probably more than 12 layers) of cellulose paint.

The seams on the brand new front end have cracked in less than a year and there is rust showing in the roof gutter. This is all down to the fact that we obviously had a dodgy batch of seam sealant and it's cracked everywhere we used it.....

So in the next few weeks Toad is coming off the road to get her seams done again and resprayed where necessary!

Don't dismiss the mini straight away, it could be very minor rust where a small amount of water has seeped into the cracks......

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users