Photo
- - - - -

Turbo Pistons Over +040 Rebore... Need Help.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:33 AM

Ok, ive had some problems and the little shít who was selling me the turbo engine has decided he dont want to. This has led me to find alternatives and i can find a few pretty good units.

now i know you can fit a turbo to any engine, but if its not designed to take the strain then it will die quicker. so i put this question to you all....

the only difference between turbo and non turbo pistons i can see is the 15cc dish they have. this is obviously to reduce ompression ratio's. but what if instead i had a bore to 1310 surely this would reduce CR and give better Horses. ive been thinkgin about it for a couple for days and its annoying. As for the gearbox, its jack knight all the way.

if this is possible, expect to see a 1310 Turbo near you! If it isn't... then expect to see a 1310 Turbo near you, but not for long!!!!

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 12:42 PM

You can defo get dished (low comp) pistons with 40 rebore. They'll cost though.

As for turboing, if you run 5 psi or around there you can get away with running it on high comp engines. Just don't crank up the turbo a lot!

And make sure to set up the carb dead on. because no dished pistons will help if you're running lean with a turbo. Pistons will melt in seconds!

#3 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 09 January 2004 - 07:56 PM

I read somewhere the other day that over-boring doesnt affect the compression at all, steange it seems, but when i read it, it all made sense...

Why dont you just get the piston dish machined bigger? I got a mate who will be able to do it...

#4 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:34 PM

I think (therefor i am) that a re-bore would raise the CR as you are now squashing a little bit more into the same combustion chamber ?.. Hmmmm
Also i read somewhere that you can get round this by making the combustion chamber in the head larger and this will reduce the CR alowing you to run more boost ( minispeed sell a head like this )
I have the turbo and all the gubbins off my old metro lyeing about in my shed and fancy giving this a try ......one day , When i get a bit of time :) :)

#5 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:13 PM

turbos are bloody hard to get to work. I was offered a turbo manifold, carb, t3, etc. without fuel pump and regulator for 100 pounds and i didnt take it after seeing how much work it is and how much more money needs to be invested..

Good luck with yours!

#6 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:42 PM

Dave, spoke to my mate and he said he will skim your pistons down for you so it drops the compression. If you tell him how much you want off, he'll do it for you in work...

#7 Metmachex

Metmachex

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:08 PM

You can also leave the original pistons in and get a spacer plate made to go between the head and block,dont quote me but I think it was around 5mm thick but not sure.You can take a pattern off the head gasket,I will hunt out anymore info and get back to you

Metmachex

#8 Metmachex

Metmachex

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 12:58 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...8&category=9886
Go here it may be of use!!

Metmachex

1 user(s) are reading this topic