4 replies to this topic

#1 zombiedead

zombiedead

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:35 PM

Hoping some one maybe able to help.Temp guage not reading,fuel gauge works,have had new temp sender switch replaced the one that is in the manifold,still nothing could it be the one in the bottom of the rad.Please HELP.

#2 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

The sender in the bottom of the radiator, is just the thermostat that controls when the auxiliary electric fan comes on and wouldn't be related.

Anyway with the carburettor Minis, you were able to short the temperature sensor by fitting a paper clip in the spade connector and then with the ignition on, the gauge should read hot when the paper clip touches the engine block. That way you know the gauge isn't faulty.

I don't know if you can do the same trick with an SPi Mini though, but it's worth a try even if it's a potch?

to be honest the temperature gauge hasn't worked on my Mini since my coil packed in and when it was starting to pack in, it made my gauge go haywire. That was 5 years ago and it's still not reading anything.

I have yet to try the paper clip test though, but I replaced the temperature sensor on my car just a mere few months before the coil packed in, so I guess it must be the gauge that's at fault.

The bad news is that Nippon Seiki gauges (fitted to all post 1986 Minis), don't have a voltage stabiliser attached to the rear of the instruments that can be replaced like was the case with the older Smiths Instrument versions.

So I either need to buy new gauges or see if Speedy Cables of Swansea can fix my current one.

Edited by taffy1967, 28 March 2007 - 10:24 PM.

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:15 PM

Moved

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:27 PM

The temp gauge on injection cars is fed from the ECU.

This could be a problem with either the ECU, the wiring or the gauge itself. Unfortunately this is going to be difficult to diagnose.

I recomend that you check that the ground points for the loom are in good clean condition. Id also disconnect the plugs from the ECU and plug them back in again. That way removing any corrosion that may have built up on the pins of the connectors. If you can get hold of another gauge and try that.

Im not sure if there is a difference between Injection and Non Injection temp gauges. I personaly think there is, the Injection works on a 5 volt signal from the ECU and the Non Injection works on a 12 volt signal from the temp sender. if a non injection gauge is fitted to an injection car, the gauge wont read right, iff at all.

There really is nothing else in the circuit.

I need to check this, I will do this weekend when i got the clocks out to swap over the tacho.

#5 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:41 PM

You could always get an auxillary temp gauge, I know its not ideal, but it depends how much it bothers you that the main one doesnt work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users