4 replies to this topic

#1 Maxmini

Maxmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:13 PM

I have just got a sportspack dash with clocks and wanted to know how to fit up the oil temp gauge I have been told to take off from the oil feedpipe from the filter is this right. Would I be better fitting an oil preasure gauge as it is easer to fit .

Edited by Maxmini, 01 March 2007 - 09:13 PM.

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:52 PM

Tricky to fit if you don't have an MPi as the sender is unique to this gauge I believe and it only really fits the MPi block. The sender is built into a plug that looks like the cover nut for the oil PRV. It is said by some that you can actually fit this sender in place of the dome nut on non-MPi blocks but this is also said to not be a great idea by others. Ideally you want to be reading the temperature of the oil as it leaves the filter and runs to the bearings.

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:33 PM

The MPI oil temp sensor will NOT fit or work where the pressure relief dome nut is, FACT!

Any one that says it will, is talking Sh!t, I dont care who there were ;D

There are two ways I see this working and both require some welding skills or get some one to do it for you.

1, weld a boss onto the oil pick up pipe blank plate at the back of the gearbox case and fit the sensor there.

2, Weld a boss onto the top of the oil filter housing and fit it there.

Oh there is a third, dont use the oil gauge :unsure:

Oh and Dan, the oil temp on the MPi is read from the oil that is returning to the sump, that that is releived from the PRV. This is the same temp as the oil reaching the bearings as it has come from the main gallery. But as you say, you idealy need to read the temperature after any oil cooler :proud:

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 01 March 2007 - 11:36 PM.

#4 Maxmini

Maxmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:34 PM

Tricky to fit if you don't have an MPi as the sender is unique to this gauge I believe and it only really fits the MPi block. The sender is built into a plug that looks like the cover nut for the oil PRV. It is said by some that you can actually fit this sender in place of the dome nut on non-MPi blocks but this is also said to not be a great idea by others. Ideally you want to be reading the temperature of the oil as it leaves the filter and runs to the bearings.

Thanks Dan I guest it wasn't an easy job.

Edited by Maxmini, 01 March 2007 - 11:35 PM.

#5 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:17 AM

Thanks Dan I guest it wasn't an easy job.

you got a mini, they never are easy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users