#62 Jackamilf12

Jackamilf12

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Local Club: HAMOC

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

Im amazed at this! good work! cant wait to see more!

#63 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

Holy post resurrection!!!!!

Well I still havn't finished my mini, and it been over 4 years since I started.

Anyway lately Ive fitted a second hand head and new gasket, cleaned up the block and gearbox before giving them a lick of paint.
Posted Image

I'm still waiting for my father to paint the shell, if I knew how to paint myself I would have done it years ago, Ive got all the kit just not sure on how exactly.
Posted Image

I'm determined to have it finished within in the next few month, which is achievable. Finish paying for the BINI in June so I'll be able to afford to pay someone else to paint it if I cant get the old man to do it for me!

The next project is lurking in the background, im not planning on going to town with this one. Just want something that's usable for camping so it wont be a full strip down!
Posted Image

Edited by liam_italian, 13 June 2011 - 05:14 PM.

#64 bamby

bamby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

loving the colour on that block ! it'll be worth it in the end :shifty: keep up the amazing work

#65 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

Well I've managed to fit the rear subframe today after alot of swearing and throwing tool around the workshop in anger, lol. I didn't take into account that the stiffer poly bushes would make it harder, but I got there in the end.

I also fitted the o/s rear built up back plates

Hopefully I'll get the other side done this weekend.

#66 shough

shough

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

So happy this has been resurrected!!!! :D

#67 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

Well both brake back plates are on the car and connected up, im pleased with how it all coming together slowly now.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#68 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

Well I sandblasted the badly corroded fuel filter bracket last night and gave it a few coats of kurust before throwing some black paint on it, hopefully it will be good for a few more years to come as minispares dont stock them at the moment!

Posted Image

Hopefully I'll get it bolted onto the rear subframe this afternoon and plumbed in.

#69 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

Some more progress.

Hubs, drive shafts, calipers etc have all been sandblasted and painted up and then rebuilt with new bearings, seals, stainless steel caliper pistons etc.

Posted Image

Im really pleased with how they have turned out, they feel nice and solid and there is no play whatsoever. Just waiting for the paint to dry on the other disk shield before I finish the drivers side.

Posted Image

Also managed to get the engine bolted into the subframe with some help off the old man, it was a real bugger to bolt in as the new mounts are very stiff. Got there in the end though!

Posted Image

Edited by liam_italian, 07 June 2011 - 07:56 PM.

#70 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

Well she's finally back on four wheels after all this time, she's starting to look like a mini again now.

Started taking little bits out of storage and giving them a clean and a lick of paint, done most of the brackets etc and also the manifold which I think looks the best. I sandblasted it first and then painted it in very high temp aluminium paint. I know it will eventually burn off, but atleast it will look good for a while.

Posted Image

Also started to clear out the bay ready to turn it into a temp spray booth. The old man also came in after work and started to rub the shell down with me, the plan is to spray the shell first and then do the bonnet, doors and boot after.

Posted Image

#71 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

Major update

Over the last couple of days I have been rubbing down the car and getting it ready for a coat of primer. It's staring to take shape now. I got the old man to show me the ropes as he use to be a panel beater / sprayer for many, many years before retraining to be a farrier/Blacksmith.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

He applied enough primer to help show up any areas I missed in prep, there is some filler work that needs doing etc before we rub it down and apply another coat of primer before top coat.

Big thanks to the old man you came home early from work to help me mask the car up and spray it for me!

#72 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

Bit of an update...

Wet flatted the roof and also done a little filler work on areas we were not happy with. Plan of attack tomorrow is to paint the roof white ^_^

I'll post some pics soon.

#73 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

Well the project marches on...

Finally got her in red

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I forgot to take some pictures last week of the roof finished in Old english white. Just need flatting with the rest of the car on Monday and then the old man will cover the whole car in clear coat.

Looking back on were I am now from were I started im really pleased to have reach this point, sure it still has some small dents here and there that I missed but the whole thing has been a massive learning experience for me. When I started I didn't even know how to weld, now I've learnt a whole new set of skills and techniques that I'll be able to put into practice on the Vw camper this winter.

I'll post some more pics next week after she's in clearcoat.

#74 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,944 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

Certainly a big difference and looking good. ;)

#75 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:34 AM

great work

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users