175 replies to this topic

#106 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

Dont think it actually needs a new head but its a way to pay to get out the situation, even thou its a slightly expensive way of doing it.

I've no idea why they are sticking, there is plently of oil getting around the engine and I did about 100 miles or so before the RR since the last one went so if it was going to stick I would have thought it would have done it miles ago

Anyway on with the strip down today, again!

Edited by Udo, 04 March 2007 - 10:13 AM.

#107 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:46 AM

can we have some pics of the offending item?

#108 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

Once I get the head off, still deciding if I can be bothered to look at it today

and on another note I really wasn't that bothered by the mini V Bini debate but after a Doris in a BINI laughing at me being towed home I hate them with a passion :)

Edited by Udo, 04 March 2007 - 12:50 PM.

#109 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:12 PM

could be a dodgy guide if it has happeened to the same valve both times

#110 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:36 PM

Different valves so not that easy

Probably the factor in all this that is wrong is my workmanship!

#111 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:04 AM

dont put yourself down, you attempted it yourself and for all puropses seem to have been about 98% sucessfull, best way to learn is to do it yourself! not many folk on here would do it. i wudnt do guides. best port of call now would be an engineering firm that doesn mini work, take it there show them whats happened with the valves/guides and they mite be able to set you straight. maybe the reamer has worn or is undersized leaving this potential problem with all your valves! or just tuck it away for a rainy day and get another one from somewhere!

#112 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:32 PM

Got it all apart last night but forgot camera

I'm getting good at removing and stripping down the head 40mins including removing all valves etc even down to not even thinking what size socket is needed

Anyway, valve is proper bent and there is a mark on the piston but not damaged. Valve wasnt stuck in the guide either

Still thinking of what to do, may take a day off and take it down to MED or somewhere for them to sort but first need to figure out if the valves are worn which is causing the problem

#113 Sutty01

Sutty01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:55 PM

any more updates ?

#114 danwebster

danwebster

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:29 PM

Nice project, one of the first thats held my attention for the full 8 pages for a long time.

Interesting to hear about the valves, I don't want to sound like i'm teaching you to suck eggs as you clearly know what you are doing but is everything absolutely spotless when you assemble the head. My shed was turned into an operating theatre when I built and rebuilt the kad engine, it ran to 8500rpm daily and (touch wood) never ever suffered anything but gearbox problems.

I may well ask my brother for his opinion, he ran a 130hp 5 porter almost 20 years ago up to high rpms and I don't think he ever experienced this.

Good luck with it anyway.

#115 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:01 AM

Cheers for the comments Dan, even if most of the pages arent to do with the bike carbs! -You buying the KAD back by the way? Loved the last fly by vid you posted

Head work was all done at my relatives garage on a clean engine build bench, was very very careful with keeping everything clean. After reaming head was blown over throughly with an air line in a different room. The same with all the valves after cleaning them up.

Got the head off again and all apart, valve that stuck wasnt any longer so must have stuck got hit by piston which bent it and also freed it off again.

Have decided to buy a new proper non adjustable ream, the one I used before was an adjustable one and although I checked the size quite a few times and also between reaming each guide it MAY have not been exactly the correct size. I'll run the ream thru but I may find I need new guides again but wont know until I get the ream

I am also going to order a full set of new valves tomorrow so should be with me by the weekend as should the ream

By the way how do I get the Minispares discount?

Cheers

Edited by Udo, 20 March 2007 - 12:02 AM.

#116 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:04 AM

Contact Simon on here and ask him to add it to your account

#117 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:10 AM

Tried that the other day Ed but didnt get a reply but he may have done it still. Will ring them tomorrow and check

Cheers

#118 danwebster

danwebster

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:15 AM

Forgive my ignorance but why do you need to ream the guides yourself? (i've never touched a 5 porter so I know nothing about them) I would have thought a new set of bronze guides was a fit and forget type thing?

Yes, i'm doing my best to get it back home where it belongs :(

#119 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,231 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:27 AM

Forgive my ignorance but why do you need to ream the guides yourself? (i've never touched a 5 porter so I know nothing about them) I would have thought a new set of bronze guides was a fit and forget type thing?

Yes, i'm doing my best to get it back home where it belongs :(

I've read that it's because when pressing the new guides home, you run the risk of deforming the tops a little, hence the reaming to ensure they are true.

#120 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:07 PM

MMM exactly what I heard re the tops of the valves

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users