175 replies to this topic

#91 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

Picked up the new valve from post office today and started rebuilding again when I got home from work, mate who works in an auto factors place is dropping off a head gasket tonight

Just need a new heater tap and to sort out the strange situation where water is coming out of the heater pipes along a series of holes, well tiny tiny weeps, along the length of the pipes. It looks like where the reinforcing fibres come out of the sidewall of the pipe it allows the coolant to travel along the fibres and so end up outside the pipe

Did any of that make sense? Silicone pipes by the way

Edited by Udo, 16 February 2007 - 08:24 PM.

#92 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:47 PM

Well she is all back together and running :D

Had to buy some new heater pipes because of the previous problem but did manage to get a photo of it.found another heater tap but that also weeps sligthly so need to buy a new one or just ditch the tap and make up a 90 degree bend off the head

Went for a little drive and all seems well, with low down torque, not put foot down too much just yet as need to go for a run and then retorque the head down.

Need to get used to there being a lot less throttle pedal movement, its about 2/3rds of a normal minis. This is because of the carbs being used with a hand throttle on a bike obviousley. May alter the pedal pivot point if i cant get used to it, just seems every bump means your foot moves and it being more sensitive means its a bit more work being smooth on the pedal. Having said that only been for a short drive so far.

Going to go for a few more runs over the next two weeks to bed everthing in before rolling road which is booked for Sat 3rd. Also as stated above sort out the heater tap.

You can just make out the series of water droplets along the length of the old pipe

Attached Files

#93 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:18 PM

Went for a proper run yesterday.

There is loads more low down torque than there used to be, I'm very happy with how it s drives, but thinking I may need to alter the pedal as I keep spinning the tyres form junctions. May try and adapt my driving first.

Also going to install an additional throttle return spring as the carbs should use a twin cable system on a bike and I'm relying on the spindle spring to return the pedal which isnt returning as quick as I would like.

Top end isnt sorted yet as had to cut short the previous rolling road but it run nicely up to 60-70mph

#94 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:16 PM

im ever so slightly excited about these results! i dont like the way a webber fuels, did u have her setu on the rollers before?? so u can do a before / after bike carb ??

#95 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:45 PM

Was on the RR a couple of weeks back, with the bike carbs, but had to cut short the session due to the head gasket going.

Haven't been back on RR since fixing the head gasket, so still need to sort the top end out yet, booked RR for the 3rd March.

upto 3750-4000rpm its fine but there is a flat spot above that point, RR should sort that out

I'm really pleased with the results so far, pulls out of corners so much quicker, easier & smoother.

Not yet done enough miles to comment on fuel consumption.

Edited by Udo, 20 February 2007 - 06:46 PM.

#96 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

fuel consumption!! well i guess that helps too, i've already ordered my megajolt with tps, guna get it setup on my webber first but lookin at the bike carbs once i've got the car all sorted. lookin at making mine really responsive to help me get out of slow corners fast on race tracks.

#97 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:58 AM

Thats the next job on mine (Megajolt) got it all on the bench just need a free day or so to fit it all without having to rush

Just need the TPS loom connector for the R1 carbs. Where to get that from I'm not quite sure.

but then there is another project on the bench so may do that first

#98 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

Whats this other project then??? :P

#99 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:02 PM

Pandora knows but I'm not posting what till I've done a bit more work to see if it all works - the same way Pandora is keeping quiet about his planned engine mod but he did tell me the other week at your first rolling road :P

#100 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:52 PM

I'll try to get photo's of my RGV / Mikuni slide set up here soon, for comparison... But damn the R1 carbs look good!

D

#101 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

good luck today udo, let us kno how it goes, dont forget the cmcorder if u have 1

#102 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:57 PM

Well,

Got on the rollers, warmed up and then started running up the rev range.

Got up to 80bhp at wheels at 5000 (previous with weber was 84 at 6000) then number 8 exhaust valve stuck and has bent the valve as per the previous one :)

Upto that point it was running very well and I cant figure out why a valve has stuck again, or what the solution to whatever the problem is.

Do I buy all new valves or just sod it and buy a new head?

This is really sttarting to :proud: me off, only good thing being the power seems to be there as it will quite happily rev to 6500 so virtually the same power as before but lower down the range and with a lot more low down torque. I'm assuming that the power will at miniumum be the same as before. I dont think it will be going back on the rollers as we had sorted all the fueling etc just hadnt done a final power run

Dumped the car in the garage and shut the door, really cant be bothered to look at it at the moment

#103 chrisholland1983

chrisholland1983

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside Mini Club

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

sods law then looks like a new head :)

hope you get sorted soon dont give up :'(

#104 Boab

Boab

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:23 PM

That sucks mate.

#105 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:52 PM

Sorry to here that mate. Been reading your topic with great interest.

Why are the valves sticking? Never had one stick before, plenty oil up the top end?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users