175 replies to this topic

#76 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:40 AM

:wub: It just sounded like it was as bent as a banana, but it just so happens we do happen to have a turbo head sat in the garage. ;)

#77 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:24 PM

Well dropped the head off this morning with the new guides and a phone number so if it does go wrong and breaks into the oilways for example I'll give you a call. Have got a spare head myself but think a turbo one may be better as a starting point.

Picking it up Thursday morning, then starting lapping valves and rebuilding it all Sat. Just need to order a new rocker shaft and bushes

#78 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:13 PM

Have picked the head up after the skim and new guides installed

Last night ran a tap thru each thread just to make sure they were okay and installed my new head studs last night, so easy when they have an allen key head on them rather than the two nut trick.

Also ordered a new rocker shaft and bushes this morning as the helpful Mr Keith Calver has informed me how to reface the rockers I have.

Also picked up some teflon valve stem seals from KC.

Lapping valves on sat and starting to reassemble the head along with the new heater tap and thermostat housing.

#79 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:02 PM

Youll be back at the RR in no time!! :P

Ive managed to sort my problems so will have to arrange another go soon too. :withstupid:

#80 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:26 PM

Hopefully soon, you got yours booked in again yet Ed?

Only problem I can see at the moment is getting the correct size reamer to do the rocker bushes. Other than that have all the bits I need, once posty turns up witht them

Cheers

#81 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:19 PM

horay, keep us posted, very keen to know the outcome of all of this

#82 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:08 AM

I might try ringing up next week, the problem is most of my time at the mo is on my brothers car.

So if your lapping your valves on Saturday when do you hope to be bolting the head back on?

#83 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:39 PM

Well just got back home

Spent today reaming the valve guides, recut three angle valve seats, lapped the valves back in, reassembled the valves in the head and ran a tap thru the spark plug threads.

Going to sort the thermostat housing and heater tap tomorrow probably.

Final thing I need to do is install the new rocker bushes, ream them to size (which I have also found a reamer of the right size) reface the rocker pads and reharden them

Got the new shaft and bushes in the post yesterday just ran out of time today so will be next weekend to do them then so point next week when I get a free night I will bolt it all back together.

And before anybody asks I dont bother taking all the carbon off the valve heads or chambers as it acts as a thermal barrier, just take all the loose/lumps off

Attached Files

Edited by Udo, 03 February 2007 - 04:41 PM.

#84 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:34 PM

she's looking good, glad its not jsut me that leaves half the carbon on the valves, just curious, when you brought the bike carbs, did u get 4 or just a pair??

#85 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:42 PM

Got all four as needed to see how they all fit together so I could split them down.

#86 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:56 PM

Right latest is as follows

Got new rocker bushes and shaft in the post

Also picked up some new old stock pressed steel rockers from a guy off ebay. Got them to use the posts, springs, washers, adjusters etc as mine are all worn

Going to re bush and reuse my existing rockers thou as they have been strengthened a la Vizards bible and I'll keep them as furture spares

Roll on the weekend when will hopefully have at all back together.

#87 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

:gimme: :D :D

Got car all back together started first time all running very very sweetly, sounds a lot smoother and carbs make a very nice noise. Left car running to get it up to heat to retorque the head down after 20 mins switched off and retorqued head

Started it up again then after about five mins it all went bad. Sounded awfull

Switched off and removed the rocker cover to find the following, exhaust valve had stuck down

Anyway removed the head again and got the valve out but it has slightly bent after being hit by the piston. Thankfully piston is okay only slightly touched at by the looks of it. just need to find a new valve now

Attached Files

Edited by Udo, 12 February 2007 - 03:05 PM.

#88 zomerzet

zomerzet

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:02 PM

Looks like my luck is catching :gimme:

The end is so very nigh, so look at it this way, the piston's fine. Not quite on par, but I managed to mangle a brand new 2 blade fan which also took out my radiator at the same time. It's one of those things that once it's done EVERYTHING will be solid and all these bits knackering has made sure you now have a solid head. Better now, than on the dual carrigeway after getting set up on the RR eh?

Good luck on the Rolling Road.

#89 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

why did it stick?
was it a fault with the valve or the guide?

#90 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:26 PM

No idea why it stuck, the valve was striaght new guides which according to all the info I could find were compatable with the valve material, all work done by me to the same standard etc , seats recut, guides reamed etc so basiclly I have no idea!

Zomerzet - very true but it still doesnt stop it :gimme: me off any less!

Anyway got to go and order a valve once I find out what size was fitted

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users