175 replies to this topic

#61 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

I also can't wait but first I have to rebuild the head and rockers!

#62 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

ok fair play, stick with the std items, 1:5 will make it a little lumpier, not unbarable tho!! a mate of mine used his as a daily drive for ages, a decent dizzy makes it better low down

#63 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:52 PM

I believe he is going to run MegaJolt for the ignition at some point, dont know if he has it on at the mo.

#64 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:38 PM

Yeah going to fit MJ got it all on the bench, except for trigger wheel which is fitted but was waiting for the bike carbs so I can use the TPS off the carbs.

I've been in contact with Kieth Calver and have asked him about refacing the pads on the rockers I am just awaiting a response may have to bite the bullet and go for 1:5's if I can't rebuild them.

But then also need to get a different rocker cover as I don't think 1:5's will fit under the steel one unfortunatley

cheers

#65 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:31 AM

minisport do 1.3:1 roller tip rockers i believe

Edited by miniboo, 26 January 2007 - 09:37 AM.

#66 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

Miniboo - yes thanks for that! but then reading Calvers site on rockers the minisport ones weren't very good - bushes reamed oversize and spacer tubes ie not the standard springs which where to short allowing the rocker to wander along the shaft.

Anyway Update - Took today off work as couldnt be bothered to go in so made a start on cleaning head up

Took valves out and cleaned them with emery cloth in a drill - all seems well

Checked the head was flat which it isnt so will need a skim

so took out the thermostat housing studs

then rounded the heater tap ones so need new studs and nuts there

Valve guides are also worn and will need replacing

Only good news today is local engineering firm will skim the head and replace the valves, if I supply them, for £20.

Bingley here I come. Of course sods law dictates that I won't find the bits I need!

#67 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

minispares ones are good from what i hear but dont get jsut roller tip ones, full roller rockers dont have the bush wear.

sorry if it seems like im throwing useless information at you, just very keen to see how the old girl goes on the rollers

Edited by fikus01, 26 January 2007 - 07:54 PM.

#68 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:08 PM

Just a quickie to say keep up the good work Udo :genius:

Have been toying with different carbs for the 998 in mine and as I want to get it on megajolt to help with my cam choice this is proving very informative :(

#69 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:10 AM

fiskus - yeah minispares did do them not sure if they still do. Cant find them on web but will ring them. Why do you say go for the full rollers rockers KC doesnt recomend them for a road engine, just wonder what your thoughts are. From what I understand needle roller bearings arent the best thing for rockers due the load being in one area ie the bottom of the shaft and needle rollers being more suitable for a rotating load not a reciprickle (sorry its late drank beer cant spell)

I dont see it as usless info any views are welcome as far as I'm concerned. Rollers will be interesting because say it ends up with more bhp you could put some of it down to a completly rebuilt head and rockers and a slightly increased compression ratio due to the skim.

Jimmy, cheers for the comments, will be getting Mj up and running as soon as the carbs are fitted and put on the rolling road to sort the fueling. Then will have the fun of sorting out the map for MJ

Cheers all

#70 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:11 AM

i must have missed MJ being mentioned the first time round!! this is mainly why im interested apart from the better carb design and operational setup they have the TPS already fitted!! im just holding off ordering MJ til i see how u get on with urs as we r running a similar spec!

i have a lot of respect for the knowledge and opinions of the guy that built my engine! anyone that can make a 1500 long stroke a-series pull past 8000rpm on a race track reliably is worth listening to imo! (ok it broke driveshafts but thats understandable!) when he was building my engines and it came to rocker selection i mentioned roller tips because of the price, very quickly i was told "NO, either full rollers or jsut plain 1:5 ratio non roller std ones" i didnt get a reason!! everyone to their own opinion i know everyone on here will contradict everyone else so totally up to you!

#71 Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

Saw this on the net yesterday.
Didn't know if anyone here was looking at as an alternate to the MJ.
It does run the same software.
I also don't know what the UK has to pay for this stuff.

Kimmins

Posted Image

#72 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

Saw this before when looking into MJ and its the same as far as I can tell just somebody who is making up the kits and selling them as complete rather than DIY soldering etc.

#73 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:03 PM

Got most of the bits required to rebuild the head at Bingley.

Didn't get rocker yet as could only find 1:5 ratio ones or second hand ones which wheren't far off as bad as mine, but spoke to somerford and the guy said they stock the pressed rockers so will give them a call monday

Also need to order some valve stem seals from Calverst

Taking head to be skimmed tomorrow also

#74 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

Is that head still usable with just a skim or will it need replacing?

#75 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:28 PM

What makes you think it will be unusable? Paul reckons it only needs the lightest of skims in his opinion and there is enough material left on the head

Or are you offering me a spare head?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users