#1 lippo

lippo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:18 AM

Hi,

I mentioned a while back that I would write about my experience of having my car rolling roaded in Bury, so here it is.

I had the car set up as I wanted (stock air filter/housing, new exhaust, everything tight or so I thought) so in June I set about getting the car properly tuned. As I live in Merseyside, anywhere in the North West was preferable. I contacted Mini Sport who still advertise rolling road sessions on their website, but when I enquired they informed me the chap that did it away and/or the rolling road needed repair. I asked whether he could recommend another garage and he mentioned RE Performance in Bury. The guy who ran the garage was old enough (70's) to have been around when mini's were far more common and tuning much more common place.

I rang them up and spoke to what sounded like an old chap, we discussed what set up I had in the mini and arranged a date.

I arrived early at the garage, which is just outside of Bury town centre in an old industrial estate. I waited for the garage to open up and spoke to the proprietor, a man of few words. I was told it would take 2 to 3 hours. The garage also does routine maintenance and this was their main source of income, not the rolling road. The session did indeed take over 3 hours, and I walked around Bury and into the town centre as there wasn't anything else to do. I did see the car take several runs on the dyno, and the tuner did tweak the timing and carb. The engine/ exhaust manifold got hot during the runs and it transpired I hadn't tightened the exhaust clamps enough, so the exhaust started drooping somewhat, the chap got under the car and rectified this.

Unfortunately the rolling road was not able to give a HP reading, the meter wasn't working correctly, but the chap did file down my BER needle and replace the 4 spark plugs. I took it for a drive and it was much improved. Previously I had billows of ball smoke out of the exhaust and the car was incredibly rich. The mixture and idle speed has been adjusted and it was running correctly. The engine has been faultless since.

The total cost for the rolling road tune and 4 spark plugs? £171 which I thought was very good value. The tuner said very little and worked at his own pace, but he knew what he was doing and that's the main thing.

IMG-0540.jpg IMG-0536.jpg IMG-0535.jpg IMG-0534.jpg

Edited by lippo, Yesterday, 11:42 AM.

#2 Rubbershorts

Rubbershorts

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:41 AM

Interesting stuff, thanks for detailing it for us.  For me, this couldn't be better timed. I contacted Minisport regarding the fitting of a stage one kit and the rolling road set up but the price seemed a little excessive. I think they did mention  a problem with the rolling road too, so decided to look elsewhere. I may have found someone local to me, but he seems to have gone a bit cold with the e-mail replies. Stage one kit just arrived from Minispares this very morning, so may end up checking this guy out. That's a very nice looking car by the way.

#3 lippo

lippo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:46 AM

Thanks Rubbershorts. You'll be closer to Bury than me, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'd allow a full morning or afternoon, there's the town centre and fast food places nearby. There's nowhere to sit/wait whilst the car is being tuned. There are dozens of older cars in the forecourt of the garage, a couple of old classics that you can peruse too.

#4 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted Yesterday, 10:52 AM

would be good to find a road near us that is good,not heard many good reviews from minisport since rob left

#5 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,713 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted Yesterday, 11:07 AM

Interesting stuff, thanks for detailing it for us.  For me, this couldn't be better timed. I contacted Minisport regarding the fitting of a stage one kit and the rolling road set up but the price seemed a little excessive. I think they did mention  a problem with the rolling road too, so decided to look elsewhere. I may have found someone local to me, but he seems to have gone a bit cold with the e-mail replies. Stage one kit just arrived from Minispares this very morning, so may end up checking this guy out. That's a very nice looking car by the way.

I'd recommend ADO Restoration in Halifax for fitting, more local to you. 

#6 Rubbershorts

Rubbershorts

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:28 AM

I'd recommend ADO Restoration in Halifax for fitting, more local to you.
Cheers Midas. I contacted them at the same time as the guy I've been dealing with but they didn't reply. As you say, ideal for me as very close to us

#7 Lord Oversill

Lord Oversill

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:15 PM

Ken at RE is proper old school. Got a couple of downdraught Webers I had running absolutely perfectly, one on a 1380 which came away with 103 Bhp in the end. Long long  day in Bury though….

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users