10 replies to this topic

#1 chrisf

chrisf

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 October 2024 - 02:51 PM

Hello I've found these lights, just wonder of anyone else is running them?

https://bbclassics.c...NYy6mflyPXtNq3D

#2 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 05 October 2024 - 08:41 PM

Personal opinion, they would only look good on something modified; they don't suit anything aged/standard (and by that I mean any car not just minis), they just look.....too modern?

When I say modified I don't mean adding those headlights as the only mod, I mean the car would need to be something fairly radical to really suit these (IMHO) - I've seen them on quite a few minis now though so I can't be that bothered I guess.

But, your car your choice and I believe they are quite good as headlights which is what's probably most important  - I don't do much (mini) driving in the dark and have a set of driving lights on all my minis to help the standard headlights so I wouldn't personally but never say never.

#3 Raggie

Raggie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2024 - 05:33 PM

Genuinely I rather like. Agree that on a Mk1 they would be very out of place, but otherwise yes. The only issue is that LEDs do die, and you would then need new complete units. I fitted an incredible LED bulb system made by Cyclops to my 1200 GSR (think Long Way Round with Ewan McGregor) and it revolutionised my 100 mile commute over unlit Cotswold twisties when I was dumb enough to do that daily (turned everything back into colour!)

I do like the running light function and the additional indicator though - I may hit buy and assess (originals in a box if I don’t like). Would have to rig something up for taillights as well though.

#4 Stewart8210

Stewart8210

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 October 2024 - 06:44 PM

Will they pass MOT?

#5 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 07 October 2024 - 08:46 AM

"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible."

from gov.uk

#6 bluequinn

bluequinn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 October 2024 - 08:55 AM

"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible."

from gov.uk

The precise meaning of that rule is revealed by "existing". It means that you mustn't put HID or LED bulbs in the original halogen headlight unit (because the beams patterns will be incompatible, for a start).

You are, however, allowed to change the entire headlight.

#7 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 07 October 2024 - 09:18 AM

whoops

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

I stand corrected

some sort of kitemark and / or confirmation that the beam pattern is correct does need to be paid attention to ..

this has come up a few times over on the Volvo site where people want to put LED's in and it would be illegal (as it is on most middle aged cars) and in that case there are no LED complete replacement units that I'm aware of

I still don't like LED's though they're too bright really, decent wiring upgrade and good halogen lamps should be enough

also agree with Mark that stylistically it wouldn't be my choice, but that's down to owners preference I guess

Edited by stuart bowes, 07 October 2024 - 09:26 AM.

#8 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 07 October 2024 - 09:24 AM

Will they pass MOT?

They shouldn’t, the mot led exemption only covers headlight bulbs, not indicator bulbs, which to the letter of the law still have to be incandescent.

#9 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 October 2024 - 09:37 AM

A lot of MOT rules are changed when the manufacturers bring out vehicles which would not pass,I am sure led indicators are rife.Steve..

#10 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 07 October 2024 - 10:06 AM

A lot of MOT rules are changed when the manufacturers bring out vehicles which would not pass,I am sure led indicators are rife.Steve..

They are, but the manufacturers fit them and have them approved for a particular vehicle. AFAIK, led bulbs are still effectively banned as retrofit, with the exception of headlight bulbs which are covered by that amendment to the mot rules a few years ago. 

#11 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 11 October 2024 - 03:26 PM

Sorry, £45 for a pair inc VAT?  They've got to be rubbish haven't they?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users