#1 s2ulk

s2ulk

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:53 PM

Hi all,

My drivers sill is not looking pretty and I don’t think it will get through the upcoming MOT. Would be grateful for some indication on cost to replace based on anybody who has had a garage do this in the last couple years (I can find some chat about costs in 2019 but the cost of everything has risen before then).

I have one quote so far of just over £900 plus VAT not including paint for the door step. Would be great to get an idea of whether that’s in the right ballpark. Thank you

#2 s2ulk

s2ulk

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:57 PM

Sorry one more question related to this - is replacement of the door step the same as replacement of the inner sill?

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,947 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted Yesterday, 09:04 PM

The door step and inner sill are two different items although they are welded together.

Now if both the outer sill and door step need replacing the odds are the inner sill will need some work and could account for the cost. Also the panels themselves can vary in price. If Heritage then that is a chunk of change, Magnum or M Machine own pressed items ( outer sill) then a lot cheaper.

So is it expensive, not for a garage I would say inc paint. Just make sure it’s not an oversill they want to fit.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,084 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted Yesterday, 10:14 PM

Also have a read of this thread linked below if you are not sure what 'Oversills' are....

Oversills, What They Are And Why You Want To Avoid Them:-

https://www.theminif...-to-avoid-them/

Edited by mab01uk, Yesterday, 10:15 PM.

#5 s2ulk

s2ulk

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted Today, 11:09 AM

Thanks for comments. Oversills definitely not being fitted - there are oversills on there already and that’s what is coming off!

#6 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted Today, 11:19 AM

Until you take them off you can't really make a judgement on the amount of work required, just have to see what's underneath there. Could just be crispy and brown in one place, could be all the way along

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,947 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted Today, 11:26 AM

Thanks for comments. Oversills definitely not being fitted - there are oversills on there already and that’s what is coming off!

Ahh that now makes sense. If you have read some of the info on here with regards to oversills and the damage they can create the pricing becomes more sensible.

Having dealt with good and bad oversills if you are really lucky and had the minor damage that i had on my clubby you may get lucky. However if like on my lads car then you need to prepare for th worst case scenario.

Where the sill is welded to the floor it acts as a water trap and this is where the rot starts. Yes you will hear of people saying they have no issues with oversills but to be brutally honest there will be something no matter what you do. I was lucky with Paddy as there was minor pitting which i treated and then painted. HOWEVER when i fully body restored the car i used M Machines Inner sills to first flute to remove this pitting.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users