Photo
- - - - -

Number Plates (Uk) Black/silver Or Yellow/white?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 84 City E

84 City E

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Hot topic for me this one, I know anything up to end of 1979 can legally wear black and silver plates simply because DVLA didnt spot their mistake, but the big question for me is, why would you on anything past about 1970?

Personally anything pre 1970 ish is fine, looks right, but after that, no way

I know they were legal up to about 1972 but any self respecting car buyer at the time had the new style yellow/white ones as thats what 99% of all new cars were supplied with after about mid 1970 when government announced the switch. You were then seen as old fashioned or cheap if you had the old style black/silver plates.

Its a choice for each individual at the end of the day, but anything that couldnt have worn them legally post '72 tends to very look wrong to me

I suppose a lot of it depends if you actually know how things were in the past and if you were around long enough ago to regularly see 1970 and newer cars on the road still (and I am, just about)

I also suppose its a bit like over restored cars, if you were around to remember them new, then todays restorations can sometimes look wrong, they never were that good or shiny etc from the factory.

any thoughts folks? Am i just a miserable so and so (never mind, i know the answer to that)

#2 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted Yesterday, 12:03 PM

Please not anotherrerrrr black plate thread, there’s hundreds on here from over the years.

#3 84 City E

84 City E

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:53 PM

Please not anotherrerrrr black plate thread, there’s hundreds on here from over the years.

And although ive read much using search and browsing, I didnt know the asnwer hence the question, you couuuuullllld choose not to participate  :-)

#4 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:46 PM

When I bought 75 car 6years ago it came with the B/S plates with the car being basically black and chrome it didn’t look right so swapped for Y/W and with just that little bit of colour in the mix it transformed how it looks. I don’t care what plates people put on if it’s the look they want. We’re all different at the end of the day.

#5 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted Yesterday, 02:45 PM

Hi,

Surely you put on whatever is legal and to your own taste/liking for the year of your particular car.

Paddy

#6 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:09 PM

as long as the size and lettering style is compatible with speed cameras / ANPR and clear for everyone to read I can't see what problem would be

although (personal taste) I don't think they look right on anything other than really vintage stuff, particularly really old motorbikes, the ones where it's side-on over the front mud guard, or things along those lines, it would have to match or compliment the colour scheme I suppose.  but that's up to the owner

#7 84 City E

84 City E

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:33 PM

Thanks guys, yes, a sensible approach, just fit what you think looks best on your car, I really shouldnt get a bee in my bonnet about it

#8 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Problems may arise if you put early plates on later cars, but having said that I have had black and white plates on my Mk1 look '89 car for many years now and have had no problems from MOT or Old Bill to date.

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,084 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Back in 1974 the first thing I did to my 1965 Mk1 Mini which was my first car, was fit some new reflective numberplates (plus Mk2/3 grille, badges and rear lights) to update it and make it look newer.....the complete opposite to what many of us do today! :lol:

6Oltok6.jpg

a2GCeCF.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, Yesterday, 06:41 PM.

#10 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted Yesterday, 06:51 PM

I remember doing the same to my 1960 Austin Seven,looked much more modern.R.E black/silver plates my thoughts are there are plates and then there are plates.Steve..

#11 Davidmt

Davidmt

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:22 PM

Think you know my choice :-)

Attached File  20231211_172620.jpg   83.82K   4 downloads

#12 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted Yesterday, 08:08 PM

And although ive read much using search and browsing, I didnt know the asnwer hence the question, you couuuuullllld choose not to participate :-)

You either run them or you don’t? pretty simple.

As much use this thread as the ‘what oil’ thread that happens without searching..

#13 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:28 PM

Jeeze mr 5,702 posts give the man a break, that’s hardly an attitude to encourage new members to participate!

#14 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted Today, 05:51 AM

I’m led to believe some ANPR systems can now identify if the plate colour is wrong for the vehicle it’s on, not a risk I’d particularly want to take.

#15 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted Today, 09:58 AM

Hot topic for me this one, I know anything up to end of 1979 can legally wear black and silver plates simply because DVLA didnt spot their mistake, but the big question for me is, why would you on anything past about 1970?

Personally anything pre 1970 ish is fine, looks right, but after that, no way
I know they were legal up to about 1972 but any self respecting car buyer at the time had the new style yellow/white ones as thats what 99% of all new cars were supplied with after about mid 1970 when government announced the switch. You were then seen as old fashioned or cheap if you had the old style black/silver plates.

Its a choice for each individual at the end of the day, but anything that couldnt have worn them legally post '72 tends to very look wrong to me

I suppose a lot of it depends if you actually know how things were in the past and if you were around long enough ago to regularly see 1970 and newer cars on the road still (and I am, just about)

I also suppose its a bit like over restored cars, if you were around to remember them new, then todays restorations can sometimes look wrong, they never were that good or shiny etc from the factory.

any thoughts folks? Am i just a miserable so and so (never mind, i know the answer to that)

I'll make you right here, when I see a later car on silver/black plates it just doesn't seem right, and in a similar vein, early cars on coloured plates seems wrong, its strange as Mab01uk said it was all the rage back in the day, I lusted after a set of MK2 rear lights on my MK1 to go with my fancy smooth coloured plates in a hope that people who think I was driving a newer car, instead of the peasant MK1. Its funny how things change, now people want to make the car look earlier.

Shooter

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users