Photo

Electric Vs Petrol Car – Which Is Really Cheaper? New Mini Cooper Review | What Car?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 September 2024 - 05:15 PM

Would any of the people on here go out and spend there own money on an all EV if they couldn't claim back untold tax relief, I would like honest answers, as anybody I know with one has it as a company car.

Shooter

#17 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 September 2024 - 06:21 PM

The government pay by means of taxpayers money.Perhaps the initial contracts were poorly specified,costs hidden,technical issues ignored etc etc.Steve..

#18 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 29 September 2024 - 05:11 AM

Would any of the people on here go out and spend there own money on an all EV if they couldn't claim back untold tax relief, I would like honest answers, as anybody I know with one has it as a company car.

Shooter

I did not and I have just bought a new car. Admittedly it is a mild hybrid but to me that does not count. It should see me out which is why I went for it rather than a full electric as I don't feel they are as less polluting overall as we are led to believe.

More pollution in manufacturing and even more in recycling the batteries which I understand they have not yet perfected.

I stand to be corrected on this.

Paddy

#19 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 29 September 2024 - 06:52 AM

Shooter

I really like EV. Suits my daily routine. But I couldn't just due to depreciation alone.Attached File  Screenshot_20240929_075128_Gallery.jpg   35.51K   2 downloads

#20 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 29 September 2024 - 07:00 AM

If I want to go for a drive or on a trip I simply get in my car and go. I do not have to spend hours the day before trying to work out how and where I will have to stop to put fuel in (Recharge). Nor do I have to spend the night in a motel while the car is refuelled.
The running costs amount to a whole lot more than how many ks per kw or litre.

#21 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 29 September 2024 - 07:14 AM

If I want to go for a drive or on a trip I simply get in my car and go. I do not have to spend hours the day before trying to work out how and where I will have to stop to put fuel in (Recharge). Nor do I have to spend the night in a motel while the car is refuelled.

You’re spending too much time listening to scaremongering crap on Facebook. How do you think I’ve managed to do approaching 100,000 miles in mine? Certainly not by spending countless hours working out how to charge it and nights spent in hotels.

It’s interesting that so many people put more gravity on information spread by large multinational oil revenue based corporations than they do their own elected governments who they claim lie to them about the true levels of emissions. The world’s flat as well, I know it is because it looks flat from here and my neighbour told me so.

#22 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 September 2024 - 07:16 AM

You’re spending too much time listening to scaremongering crap on Facebook. How do you think I’ve managed to do approaching 100,000 miles in mine? Certainly not by spending countless hours working out how to charge it and nights spent in hotels.

It’s interesting that so many people put more gravity on information spread by large multinational oil revenue based corporations than they do their own elected governments who they claim lie to them about the true levels of emissions. The world’s flat as well, I know it is because it looks flat from here and my neighbour told me so.

Did you buy the car yourself or is it a company car with benefits?

Shooter

#23 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 29 September 2024 - 07:20 AM

Shooter

I really like EV. Suits my daily routine. But I couldn't just due to depreciation alone. Screenshot_20240929_075128_Gallery.jpg
So why not take advantage of this and buy one of those cars used, or is that too obvious? Clearly if you’re going to buy a new EV it would be wise to avoid those that depreciate heavily. And have you looked at the depreciation of ICE vehicles …?

Edited by Bobbins, 29 September 2024 - 07:20 AM.

#24 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 29 September 2024 - 07:24 AM

Did you buy the car yourself or is it a company car with benefits?

Shooter

Initially leased as a company vehicle then bought from the lease company. If you drive a company vehicle then yes, EV is a no brainer, but that doesn’t mean private purchases are not viable. Current market conditions make a private used EV purchase a very good deal but not everyone looks at it that way, I do.

#25 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 29 September 2024 - 07:46 AM

Shooter

I really like EV. Suits my daily routine. But I couldn't just due to depreciation alone. Screenshot_20240929_075128_Gallery.jpg
So why not take advantage of this and buy one of those cars used, or is that too obvious? Clearly if you’re going to buy a new EV it would be wise to avoid those that depreciate heavily. And have you looked at the depreciation of ICE vehicles …?

Just timing. I've just changed jobs and I'm seeing where that takes me. We have a 10 year old zafira we've had from new with lifetime warranty on it. That needs to last another 2 years then I will get a small 4 door EV for sure

#26 E23TFD

E23TFD

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 September 2024 - 01:10 PM

Right to answer a few, the government have always incentivised fuel / modes for decades now. Rightly or wrongly ie diesel, hybrids and I have maximised my BIK within the rules. Dont worry I’m still paying more than the average so I’m a net contributor.

In regard to would I purchase one, based on our experience yes. We have already said once the next works cycle goes through we will replace wife’s VRS with an EV and my work one will be EV as well.

Regarding planning the infrastructure change over the last two years has been immense, 2022 loads in the Daily Mail etc on queues for chargers etc. Christmas 2023 no news reports, now either everyone stayed home or as the ev point register showed we had far more and far faster chargers installed. You don’t have to do the mad planning that the doom mongers say.

Don’t get me wrong go to a tiny seaside at the fringes of our island and you will struggle but equally these places don’t have petrol stations either.

Make the most of these nearly new EV’s as the depreciation will and is starting to shift as more adopt and more cars come into the second market from us company drivers (equally company cars have always been the main new car registration).

#27 E23TFD

E23TFD

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 September 2024 - 01:11 PM

Oh and I still have the little 1275 if the lights go out! Not that I will get that far even on twin tanks!

#28 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 30 September 2024 - 05:11 AM

I don"t listen to anything on facebook so that is just one of your invented ideas. If you drive somewhere other than where you can walk or take public transport you would be spending the night waiting for your ill chosen vehicle to recharge.

#29 E23TFD

E23TFD

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 September 2024 - 06:55 AM

You’re absolutely correct, it takes so long I have to have a sleep while it’s charging. Cuts in to the day.

#30 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 September 2024 - 07:22 AM

I don't hate electric cars,I hate the way our lives are being dictated to take them.I am sceptical of the science used to calculate the Green credentials.Seems like dodgy accounting most of the time.Just my elderly gent thoughts,we have been misled in the past.Steve..

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users