30 replies to this topic

#1 Raggie

Raggie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2024 - 08:57 PM

It has been my experience that people with kit intensive hobbies tend to align along quite predictable paths. As hairy arsed men (apologies to the fragrant ladies on here) they tend to be watches, guns and guitars. And fishing, but perhaps we should sidestep those moral deviants (very kidding). I’m guilty of all of those categories.

So I absolutely refuse to believe that there are not other aficionados of the tortured string on here.

#2 Raggie

Raggie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2024 - 09:04 PM

I missed out boats, bicycles and cameras.

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 23 September 2024 - 09:19 PM

As a man with ADHD, I have accumulated hobbies... like a hobby 😂

But I've been playing the guitar for about 30 years now. Got an 83 Strat, 2010 Gibson Les Paul and a 2019 PRS 24.

#4 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 24 September 2024 - 02:54 AM

Yeap, it’s definitely an issue and gets expensive, not mentioning the space all this stuff takes up.

I started playing around 1979 and although there’s a few that I wish I hadn’t sold particularly a ‘65 Fender Jazzmaster, currently I’m left with 3 Strats, an ‘88 Squier (Japan), a 2000 Fender HSS (USA), a noughties era Fender assembled from mostly Eric Johnson signature hardware, and a 2013 Gibson ES335. Then also a couple of acoustics, a 2006 Taylor 414CE and a 1986 Ovation Celebrity roundback which is weirdly one of my favourites.

I’ve recently been having finger issues, probably age related, plus I injured my left hand middle finger which has messed up my playing, not that I was ever that good, but it has made me think maybe it’s time to thin things down a little.

Stu.

Edited by Bobbins, 24 September 2024 - 02:55 AM.

#5 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 September 2024 - 05:31 AM

Guilty as charged, guitars, shotguns, fullbore rifles and believe it or not skateboards for a bloke that is far to old to have them and which my Mrs has banned me from using anymore ( and rightly so ) the skateboards that is. I also collect vintage/classic film posters with a car related theme.

Shooter

#6 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Local Club: SfG Schoenau

Posted 24 September 2024 - 06:06 AM

Used to be a bass player for several Rock- and Blues-Bands at least there was some money coming in if only a litte. With cars there is only money going out!

#7 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 24 September 2024 - 07:15 AM

Always a desire of mine to play the guitar, but am pretty talentless when it comes to anything remotely artistic

#8 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 24 September 2024 - 07:25 AM

Hi

skateboards for a bloke that is far to old to have them and which my Mrs has banned me from using anymore ( and rightly so ) the skateboards that is

Just point out to her the gentleman that was skateboarding for Team GB at the Olympics was 51.

Paddy

#9 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 24 September 2024 - 07:46 AM

I can’t play the guitar the left hand just can’t get in tune with the right hand, so to compensate for that failure I used to make acoustic guitars 42 in all of different types.

#10 ADRay

ADRay

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 September 2024 - 10:48 AM

been playing since age 14… had bands but these days I play at home. Would love to get a band going again. Play a ‘96 MIJ ‘62 reissue strat I bought new, and inherited my dad’s ‘65 Jag (he was a part time working musician) and I play through a reissue Deluxe Reverb.

#11 ADRay

ADRay

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 September 2024 - 10:48 AM

been playing since age 14… had bands but these days I play at home. Would love to get a band going again. Play a ‘96 MIJ ‘62 reissue strat I bought new, and inherited my dad’s ‘65 Jag (he was a part time working musician) and I play through a reissue Deluxe Reverb.

#12 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 September 2024 - 05:15 PM

Hi

skateboards for a bloke that is far to old to have them and which my Mrs has banned me from using anymore ( and rightly so ) the skateboards that is

Just point out to her the gentleman that was skateboarding for Team GB at the Olympics was 51.

Paddy

Yup but I suspect he doesn't smoke like a trooper, and spent 30 years drinking like a fish though:) when I saw him I thought "good on ya" but the guy I most admired was the Turkish pistol shooter who just tipped up in a pair of trousers and a T shirt, and still got a medal.

Shooter

Edited by Shooter63, 24 September 2024 - 05:16 PM.

#13 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 September 2024 - 05:20 PM

Always a desire of mine to play the guitar, but am pretty talentless when it comes to anything remotely artistic

Don't let that hold you back, all you need to learn is 3 chords A,D,G and you can play some of the most famous rock songs ever made.

Shooter

#14 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 24 September 2024 - 05:51 PM

I've tried a few times, I wanted to learn classical guitar but never did lessons or anything I was just working with this book I got

already musically trained though which helps (Trumpet grade8+ / Piano about grade 5 ish)

I just wanted to be able to play the tune from the Deer Hunter lol   it's hard though isn't it

I like Tab though, sort of cheating really but it's just a nice way to lean the movements without having to actually read notes and work out where that note is

Edited by stuart bowes, 24 September 2024 - 06:04 PM.

#15 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 09:02 AM

Don't let that hold you back, all you need to learn is 3 chords A,D,G and you can play some of the most famous rock songs ever made.

Shooter

I dont have too much trouble with the chords to be honest, its the right hand rhythm that is useless

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users