Photo

Could Lane Assist Be The Best Thing Ever?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,061 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 17 September 2024 - 08:15 AM

It’s like any modification, you just inform the insurance company, it’s then up to them to decide if they want to provide cover. I saw an interesting article recently about the amount of data that Police forces recover from vehicles in the event of an accident, it’s mind boggling (maybe for a separate thread if Mab hasn’t covered it already).

There is an occasional TV series on BBC (linked below on iPlayer) that sometimes shows you the amount of data Police accident investigators can download and recover from modern cars which is stored in the vehicles ECU and various computer 'brain' modules. A bit like the 'black box' Flight Recorder fitted on aircraft. They can record things like the speed of the vehicle before any crash and on impact, how, when and if the brakes were applied, driver steering inputs, etc.

The Crash Detectives:-

https://www.bbc.co.u...rash-detectives

(An 'old school' method of seeing if the brakes were applied during a crash was to examine the filiments in the brake light bulbs, if they were lit the hot filaments in the bulb would be distorted by the force of the impact. I guess that no longer applies with LED brake lights!)

Edited by mab01uk, 17 September 2024 - 08:18 AM.

#17 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 11:07 AM

I’m curious does the lane assist operate on a normal 2 lane road when you cross the white lane?

#18 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 18,197 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 September 2024 - 11:58 AM

Most don’t even need a white line. But yes it would kick in if you are trying to overtake without indicating.

#19 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 01:25 PM

Hi Shooter,

The problem with that is if you have everything turned of by remapping if you have an accident even a non fault one the Insurance company could turn round and say you policy is invalid. That could open you up possibly to prosecution for having no insurance. I am sure you would need to inform them as this could be considered a modification.
If there is a switch turn a drivers assist off then they cannot argue the toss as the manufacturers have given you the option to make that decision. They have insured your car knowing that that option is there.

Paddy

Totally agree, that's why after 43 years of driving and riding, never having any points or accidents I still pay £800.00 plus a year for insurance. On the otherside I'll surmise that 90% of the cars on here are not insured correctly, even if its just an air filter change to a K&N, that's a performance upgrade ( according to the K&N bumpf)

Shooter

#20 ADRay

ADRay

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 07:18 PM

I don’t like any of that stuff… gives lazy and distracted drivers an excuse to be more lazy and distracted.

#21 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 18 September 2024 - 07:31 AM

Like all BS Nanny state gadgets it is about as much use as an ash tray on a bike.
Anyone remember when you had to take a driving test to prove you could drive safely?

#22 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 18 September 2024 - 10:41 AM

Anyone remember when you had to take a driving test to prove you could drive safely?

No my memory doesn't go that far back.

Paddy

#23 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 03:29 PM

Paddy

Yes and unfortunately I also had to know hand signals as well.

Shooter

#24 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 03:41 PM

unfortunately I also had to know hand signals as well.

Shooter

yeah I do those a lot, maybe not quite the same ones though

#25 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,061 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 September 2024 - 04:03 PM

Paddy

Yes and unfortunately I also had to know hand signals as well.

Shooter

On my driving test back in 1974, the Examiner asked me to start using hand signals instead of indicators until he said otherwise. I did a couple of hand signals before forgetting his instruction and going back to indicators. A few minutes later he said....ok you can stop using hand signals now....to my relief I still passed at the end of the test!

Edited by mab01uk, 18 September 2024 - 04:03 PM.

#26 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 18 September 2024 - 07:12 PM

Hang on a minute surely we still do hand signals in a Mini at some stage the electrics being so temperamental. I can still remember how to do them, just

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users