45 replies to this topic

#31 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:06 PM

Although be aware connecting the breathers to the carbs now will affect the way it runs - it will need to be tuned accordingly.

#32 PACINO

PACINO

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 10:12 PM

Although be aware connecting the breathers to the carbs now will affect the way it runs - it will need to be tuned accordingly.

Cheers GraemeC! I take note of your advice.

#33 PACINO

PACINO

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 10:29 PM

Try connecting the two breather canisters to the opposite carb breather ports. It doesn't matter about the lack of mesh in the timing chain cover breather at this stage.

Thanks for your help. So, as I understand your answer, to get 'positive' ventilation I should connect the breather next to the clutch cover to carburetor port and connect the breather from the timing chain cover to other carb port. Is this what you advise me?

IMG-20240914-WA0000.jpg

Edited by PACINO, 13 September 2024 - 10:31 PM.

#34 Lplus

Lplus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 September 2024 - 08:20 AM

Try connecting the two breather canisters to the opposite carb breather ports. It doesn't matter about the lack of mesh in the timing chain cover breather at this stage.

Thanks for your help. So, as I understand your answer, to get 'positive' ventilation I should connect the breather next to the clutch cover to carburetor port and connect the breather from the timing chain cover to other carb port. Is this what you advise me?

IMG-20240914-WA0000.jpg

That is what I would do to provide positive ventilation.  Crossing them over just makes for straightish pipes as opposed to having 180 degree bends if you connect the left breather to the left carb etc.  Make sure the oil filler cap is the breather type.  The idle mixture will go weaker so will need adjustment.

#35 PACINO

PACINO

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 14 September 2024 - 10:34 PM

Hi Lplus and thanks for reply. When you say "the only breather being the filter head on the transfer gear case", which breather are you referring to?

#36 Lplus

Lplus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 08:47 AM

Hi Lplus and thanks for reply. When you say "the only breather being the filter head on the transfer gear case", which breather are you referring to?

I was referring to the red topped mesh filter at the bottom of your last photograph.  If you blocked the timing chain breather due to having no mesh then the red topped filter is on the only breather on the engine/gearbox.

#37 PACINO

PACINO

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 02:23 PM

Oh yes! Now I understand you. Thanks a lot.
On the the timing cover breather I'll fit a red filter like the one I have on the other side, or when I get two rubber tubes, join both breathers to the carburetor ports as we already mentioned.

*Another option is to connect both respirators through a T, to the air filter box that I have at home. But I think you don't like this option.

IMG-20240915-WA0014.jpg

#38 lsto

lsto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 04:26 PM

Just a word of caution. I fitted a cheap breather filter from ebay on my engine, after a few months my car started to leak oil and I was getting blue smoke from the exhaust. It turned out the breather had blocked solid and was pressurising the engine. I replaced it with a breather filter from k&n and it has been fine since (over a year now). Also the k&n is washable.

#39 Lplus

Lplus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 04:32 PM

Oh yes! Now I understand you. Thanks a lot.
On the the timing cover breather I'll fit a red filter like the one I have on the other side, or when I get two rubber tubes, join both breathers to the carburetor ports as we already mentioned.

*Another option is to connect both respirators through a T, to the air filter box that I have at home. But I think you don't like this option.

IMG-20240915-WA0014.jpg

For proper positive ventilation the only way will be to connect the breathers to the carbs.  Another red top filter will just reduce the crankcase pressure, but not below atmospheric pressure, so the problem may persist.  Connecting to the air filter box won't really help much either since there is minimal suction outside the filters - even if that little tube is drilled through to the inside.

#40 PACINO

PACINO

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 05:01 PM

Just a word of caution. I fitted a cheap breather filter from ebay on my engine, after a few months my car started to leak oil and I was getting blue smoke from the exhaust. It turned out the breather had blocked solid and was pressurising the engine. I replaced it with a breather filter from k&n and it has been fine since (over a year now). Also the k&n is washable.

Cheers Isto for the advise. Of course, k&n are one of the best air filters.
With this one,I think should be ok too:

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

#41 68+86auto

68+86auto

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 16 September 2024 - 05:19 AM

Just connect the breathers to the carbs and then you never need to think about it again. No valves or filters to go bad.

#42 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 September 2024 - 07:20 AM

What piston ring gaps you have on your fresh rebuild engine?

#43 PACINO

PACINO

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 16 September 2024 - 01:31 PM

Just connect the breathers to the carbs and then you never need to think about it again. No valves or filters to go bad.

Screenshot-20240916-152847-Chrome.jpg

#44 68+86auto

68+86auto

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 17 September 2024 - 12:11 AM

Screenshot-20240916-152847-Chrome.jpg

That's what you need.

#45 PACINO

PACINO

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 05:56 AM

What piston ring gaps you have on your fresh rebuild engine?

Swiftune Heritage Die Cast Piston
1275 +40

IMG-20240207-WA0041.jpg

193-Pistons-Heritage-scaled.jpg

-High silicone hypereutectic alloy
-Forced Pin oiling
-6.5cc bowl
-2mm bowl offset
-38.05mm compression height
-59.65mm total length
-1.2mm NPR Japan steel nitrided top ring.
-1.2mm NPR Japan cast second ring
-4.0mm NPR Japan steel Nifflex oil ring.
-Running clearance 0.06mm (0.0025”)
-60.0mm x 20.638mm pin size (press fit pin).
-Case hardened pin to 57-65 HRC
-Circlip grooves for floating pin (pin optional).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users