#1 MattMINIMayfair

MattMINIMayfair

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 02:41 PM

Hello all,

• I recently purchased all new wiring loom for my 1989 Mini Mayfair (YMC10654) as the old one was corroded badly (the car turned over with the old loom in), i believe that i have connected the loom up correctly (as i followed the correct wiring diagram on the forum) however the Mini won't turn over.

• I have bought and fitted a new +tve battery connection from the boot to the starter, a whole new set of HT leads and spark plugs plus a new coil. I don't need the car to start just to turn over.

• On the wiring diagram that i followed i noticed that on the starter relay there are two red/white wires that are connected to the relay and then one goes to  the starter however this second wire does not appear on my loom (is this an extra wire i need to purchase?).

Also a another smaller query (do i need a ballast resistor for my car and is that the issue of it not turning over)

Many thanks,

- Matthew

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,344 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 September 2024 - 05:56 PM

I am not intimately familiar with that specific model, however where the 2 White / Reds appear in the loom, together, that might be for the Inhibit Switch on the Auto Models. They usually used the same loom in Manuals and Autos. If you join these wires together and then look around where you have a lot of Brown wires together, you'll likely find a single White / Red, that would connect to the Solenoid.

You can always check it through with a meter or a test lamp. 

#3 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 06 September 2024 - 11:13 PM

Your issue does sound like it is related to an incorrect wiring of the "exciter" wire (the white/red tracer) 

Various models it did different things, early models it went to the external solenoid, later I believe it went to the starter mounted solenoid and later still to the starter relay (which your car should have I think, mounted to the RH side inner wing up near the scuttle?)

As Spider mentions there is typically a join in this wire behind the dashboard that was used with an extra piece of loom to go to the inhibitor switch on auto minis but on a manual it is just a join (usually bullet connector)  where you wouldn't expect one.

I would say that you should have white/red from the ignition switch to the relay and that should be it. - only one white/red wire (There will be a "heavier" gauge brown from the starter live to the relay and same gauge red/brown from the relay to the solenoid which provides the starter circuit plus a black earth cable of course for the white/red switching current) 

Sorry I can't add a picture of the relevant bit of loom as I don't know how to do it now I cannot directly add it to a post 

If you go to this page:

https://www.theminif...agrams-redrawn/

And look at the diagram called:

ROVER MINI WIRING DIAGRAM 1988-ON - PAGE 86-49.PDF 

In the top right hand corner you will see the relevant bit you need to follow

#4 MattMINIMayfair

MattMINIMayfair

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 04:44 PM

Thank you both for the help. I'll take another look at it.

#5 MattMINIMayfair

MattMINIMayfair

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 05:46 PM

Hello again, I have followed the diagram but still no result.

I have a suspicion that the starter relay may be faulty. Could someone please provide me with the information for a healthy starter relay.

Also a side question, do I need a ballast resistor to allow the car to turn over for this model or does one of the wires act as this. I know on the diagram the resistor is showing but I seem to be missing one if it is needed.

Many thanks, Matthew.

#6 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 07 September 2024 - 10:47 PM

Ballast wire won't stop the engine turning over, its a resistive wire in the loom (pink/white) that goes to the coil +ve at 9v paired with a yellow/white from the solenoid that provides 12v during starting to improve spark power

Testing the relay is pretty straightforward, just put 12v across the switching terminals and listen for a click of the relay operating, they are usually pretty reliable.

Wiring queries are always difficult to diagnose remotely I'm afraid

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users