#16 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,344 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 September 2024 - 06:26 PM

I recall in my youth looking down on pressed rockers thinking they just couldn't be any good, but I soon learned they were the factory rocker to use. They have the best ratio and they are very consistent, weakness is not really an issue for most applications, I've seen more broken forged rockers than pressed types. From factory rockers, they are my rocker of choice.

#17 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 07 September 2024 - 04:04 PM

Apologies - I've never run the presed type, always swapped them out for later ones!

The Austin 803cc A series engine had forged, not pressed rockers.

Well I've asked a few A30 owners and all say pressed rockers on the 803cc ... they are pressed on the A35 948cc engines too if mine is anything to go by.

I remember hanging round a garage in the mid 1950s when a mechanic was setting tappets, and being told that "They don't make things like they used to",  because after the BMC amalgamation, the rockers were "Made out of bits of bent metal", and I'm sure he showed me the difference.

Some very early 803cc engines were fitted with forged ... possibly the AS3 ... but probably due to cost they moved to pressed steel.

Remember when I tried to adjust the tappets on my 948cc for the first time. Three of the adjuster nuts were stripped or stripping the threads. So a quick bike ride to The Iron Bridge garage and back with a set of new nuts. That was a fairly regular trip for me as I fixed the bodges.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users